tote - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2018, 07:27 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
tote

Does anyone ever use one of those RV totes for their scamp ? If so what are the cons - pros for them. Do they fit under the waste drains. Is it worth it. I would get the 15 gal that is big enough for the black tank. Thanks, Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Does anyone ever use one of those RV totes for their scamp ? If so what are the cons - pros for them. Do they fit under the waste drains. Is it worth it. I would get the 15 gal that is big enough for the black tank. Thanks, Carl
If you have a Scamp, you have a 9 Gal blackwater tank. The 10 gal. tote will take it all and still be portable. We have used the one shown below for many years on our Scamp13D. You must use your slinky when you drain into it...
Your Scamp16 has alot more clearance than our 13 so draining will be no problem.

We use it for stays over 5 days or so to save having to break camp to empty. It tows easily at low speeds to the dumpstation, or it is small enough to lift up to the tailgate of the TV. It weighs nothing when empty and rides on our trailer's tongue with only a bungee cord.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have one like Floyds.. I needed it with my pop up that had no on-board waste tank. I have not needed it with my Scamp because I am not that full of... But I keep it in case I ever set up camp for more than a week and dont want to move the camper to the dump site.

The one thing I would emphasis is to remember that water (and water-waste) weighs a little over eight pounds per gallon. So your fifteen gallon tank will be near 125 lbs when full. It darn well better have wheels. And these larger tanks are tow-able. A bracket goes on the hitch ball and allows you to SLOWLY tow the tank to the dump site. Larger wheels help here. You will see this in action at many campgrounds and you can see the totes that tow better.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:24 PM   #4

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I originally bought a large one but rarely used it. Took up a lot of space. I gave it to a friend and got a small one for emergencies. I can make a couple of trips to the dump station if necessary. FWIW, most folks use them only for gray. Think about it and you'll understand why....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for help. I think I will get a 10-15 gal. sometime during the winter so I have it by next season. Thanks much, Carl.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You could always leave the tote at your campsite and take the trailer to the sani-dump. That would save transferring waste twice - IE. a waste of time.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #7

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Has anyone rigged up a hitch to pull an RV waste tote behind a bicycle like those child bike trailers?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/InStep-Ro...yABEgItafD_BwE
Or maybe adapt the frame of a child bike trailer to carry the tote? Just curious....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Has anyone rigged up a hitch to pull an RV waste tote behind a bicycle like those child bike trailers?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/InStep-Ro...yABEgItafD_BwE
Or maybe adapt the frame of a child bike trailer to carry the tote? Just curious....
I use a simple piece of nylon rope with an extra knot in the middle... works great. They do make a bracket for towing them made from steel rod. I have that bike trailer and I also made a real nifty one from an old golf bag cart.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Those totes were quite common when we were staying in Yellowstone. Some campers were there for a week or more. Ourselves we were there for just three days so we didn’t have the need.

Dump station was less than 1/10th mile away.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:37 PM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a two wheel, 11 gallon tote that I bought on Amazon's warehouse deals, (returned item, axle was bent). Also bought the tow handle that Floyd shows. Never actually towed the tote though as the dump stations were close enough to pull it by hand. A few times I didn't fill it and put it in the back of my truck. I bought this one because the inlet is not very high off the ground. The connection on our Casita is low.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #11

I've just left my wife at camp with camp chairs, cooler and a good book while I tow the trailer a half hour to town ( closest sani-dump ). I dump, top up fresh water and pick up a few dozen beer and any other vital groceries we might need.

I figure that's a lot easier than dumping into a tote, transporting it to town and dumping the tote.
Attached Thumbnails
MoonS 2 2014.jpg  
Old 10-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
....while I tow the trailer a half hour to town ( closest sani-dump ). ...
I figure that's a lot easier than dumping into a tote, transporting it to town and dumping the tote.
Considering that top speed when towing one of these totes is about five MPH I think you made the right decision

But when the dump station is 1/10 mile away and you have an extensive camp setup, the tote makes sense.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #13

Where do you keep the tote on the road?
Old 10-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Ours is one of the smaller ones, I stand it on end in the pickup bed. I have a rear bike rack that rarely gets used, so was thinking of strapping the tote on it, but never did.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:00 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I'm with you Glenn, I've got a 25 gal 4 wheeler Barker that I used once. I'll break camp in a heartbeat to dump before I use that again. Time for a C/L for sale post .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Mine fits vertically between my tongue jack and my bike rack, a single bungee is adequate to secure it.
On a stock Scamp it can be placed horizontally atop the battery box.