two propane regulators in line? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #1

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
two propane regulators in line?

Can one put two propane regulators in line? I want to feed a Coleman camp stove from the low pressure propane line on the trailer, but Coleman has its proprietary gas bottle fitting with regulator that would be a pain to replace or remove.

I'll try to be brief; here is my setup: I have the Scamp-installed two stage regulator mounted on the trailer tongue, with the high pressure pigtail coming directly from the tank to the input of the regulator. I have installed a flare "T" on the low pressure (output) side of the regulator and plumbed in two quick disconnect LP fittings (one also mounted on the tongue, and the other mounted between the door and the passenger side tire).

I want to use the new quick connect under the side of the trailer to feed the Coleman camp stove for when we want to cook/broil/grill outside. But that means the little chintzy Coleman regulator (which is integral to the grill) would be downstream from the low pressure side of the two stage regulator on the trailer. I don't think that setup would be dangerous, but would it even work?

Any experience out there? I'm guessing that if the Coleman regulator output is less than or equal to the main regulator output, all would be well. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
Can one put two propane regulators in line? I want to feed a Coleman camp stove from the low pressure propane line on the trailer, but Coleman has its proprietary gas bottle fitting with regulator that would be a pain to replace or remove.

I'll try to be brief; here is my setup: I have the Scamp-installed two stage regulator mounted on the trailer tongue, with the high pressure pigtail coming directly from the tank to the input of the regulator. I have installed a flare "T" on the low pressure (output) side of the regulator and plumbed in two quick disconnect LP fittings (one also mounted on the tongue, and the other mounted between the door and the passenger side tire).

I want to use the new quick connect under the side of the trailer to feed the Coleman camp stove for when we want to cook/broil/grill outside. But that means the little chintzy Coleman regulator (which is integral to the grill) would be downstream from the low pressure side of the two stage regulator on the trailer. I don't think that setup would be dangerous, but would it even work?

Any experience out there? I'm guessing that if the Coleman regulator output is less than or equal to the main regulator output, all would be well. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
It will not work. The regulator on your trailer reduces propane under high pressure to pressure that will support a column of water approximately 11-inches high. The proprietary regulators used on Coleman and other similar camp stoves will support a column of water somewhat higher, NOT LOWER! If you “adapt” a Coleman type stove to run on what is considered a low pressure system (already regulated down to @11 inches, you will get hardly any flame and it would only serve as a “warmer.” And placing two regulators in series will reduce gas pressure to almost nothing. The Coleman must be used with the pressures that come directly out of a propane tank, either refillable or the small disposable ones. If you want to eliminate the small one pound disposable bottles, you need a tap before the regulator, or you can purchase a stove like the Camp Chef Ranger II, which can be used on a low pressure system.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
Adapter hose

12’ tank-to-Coleman adapter hose.

1. Unscrew hose from one of your propane tanks.
2. Screw on the “tank fitting” end of the hose.
3. Screw the “Coleman stove fitting” end of the hose onto the stove.

Reverse procedure when you pack up camp.

I had almost the same question. I was thinking Tees n fittings n valves. Slick plumbing etc. Someone suggested the made-for-the-job adapter hose and it’s perfect and simple.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
...I wanted to have a tap BUT, they don't work without serious modification of the appliance so, I decided to try one of these...it works...
...however, I found the hassle of carrying and setting up an extra tank with a propane "tree" to work better for my style of camping...I can run a lantern, a stove and a firepit all off the same tank...and not even worry about placing items anywhere but where I want them...of course driving a full sized PU w/cap gives me plenty of cargo space to carry an extra tank(or 2).........
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

New York
Yes, MadJack. Years ago as an asst scoutmaster on a winter jamboree with many other troops, I t was a campfire-free jamboree except for a group fire at night, to keep the woods from being stripped. I walked to all the camps and noted some elaborate “trees” and other setups. Our troop used gasoline stoves but the trend was toward propane. Many of these setups were also used for tailgaiting parties. Turkey fryers, lanterns, grills and all sorts of ingenius configurations. I’m not there yet but we’ll see !
Old 07-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
You can buy a flow through adapter that allows you to reconnect your 20# tank, and has a take off the same as a 1 pound propane bottle. Then run a hose from it to your Coleman. That’s what I do-, with the addition of a splitter near the Coleman so I can also use my bbq at the same time
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #7

New York
Propane proliferation !

Yes I have a 12’ hose that goes from 20 pound tank to Coleman.

I could put a tee in just before the coleman fitting to run something.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have a propane tree that I've used a couple times in 20 years. It fits on my 10 lb. propane tank and has three outlets. The one at the top is for a propane lantern. You need hoses for the other two to connect a BBQ and stove.
I found that the lantern was always in the wrong place and if you put it on a picnic table the lantern and tank cast a shadow right where you want the light.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:33 AM   #9

I run a 50’ hose from the adapter, then I use a purchased tee fitting with 1 pound propane tank threads on all three connections , then a three foot hose to my stove and barbecue
Old 07-15-2018, 06:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Chuck, in my opinion you are on the right track with trying to use the low pressure system on your trailer for exterior appliances, but unfortunately you would have to abandon the Coleman stove, of which I have owned a few, and all were less than stellar performers.

For years I adapted to the high pressure propane by using a T off one bottle. This worked, but was somewhat limited. If you have the advantage of two tanks, you have to physically change the T from tank to tank. Another issue is accessing the trailer tanks to connect, having to remove a cover or open a hatch. Most connections do not use a quick connect either.

I carried a spare 20 lb bottle for a few months, and found it more of a hassle that carrying lots of the little green bottles. I dislike the wee bottles too as they are not very environmentally friendly, are pricey, and run out quick. I have a propane tree that I find is just gimmicky, one could make up a more useful device than that, and besides, you still have to lug a spare bottle when you already have them on your trailer.

I have had a low pressure disconnect now since 2009, and love it's easy of use and convenience. Being up and cooking in moments has it's advantages, and the simplicity of it can't be beat. I use a Y (similar to a T) connection to run two appliances at a time, or connect two hoses together should I want one a ways away from the trailer. I have a BBQ, stove and firepit I use with this system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
.......or you can purchase a stove like the Camp Chef Ranger II.....
This is the camp stove I use, and can't say enough about it. The burners and control are fantastic. I can have water boiled quickly, and with the 3 rings of flame, simmering and even cooking are great. Unlike a Coleman that is near impossible to adjust to a real low simmer setting, this stove can be adjusted right down to any level you wish. When simmering dishes you get the whole area across the bottom of the pot bubbling, not just a ring around the outside, and a pancake comes out so evenly brown across the entire thing. Our Ranger II gets more use than all our other cooking appliances (BBQ, inside stove and oven), do together.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: shopping
Florida
I spent much of last week trying to make an older Primus stove work with my low pressure port. Once I had gas flowing it was still too low to produce a usable flame on the stove. I returned all my parts and will be going with a free standing stove and 5 lb bottle.
dfdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #12

Trailer: HitchHiker
With both my big fivers back when we full timed, and our little Scamp 19' fiver now, we carry a spare 20# propane cylinder in a milk crate in the truck bed to avoid carrying it sideways, which allows crud from the bottom to get in the valve and your regulator. I have always RV'd with a long bed on a 1 Ton diesel Ram dually towing the 36 foot HitchHiker and Challenger rigs we full timed in, and now a 3/4 ton diesel Ram with a long bed for our 19' Scamper. We used the Coleman adapter hose and the grill's regulator. I prefer my propane systems simple, stock, and leak proof.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #13

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
RV uses 11 WC, Coleman stoves us 14WC.
14 is much higher pressure, so the 11 will not let the Coleman stove do more than a low low flame, too low for cooking.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
I installed a quick coupling in my LP line under my Casita, I also put a ball valve there to to shut off the quick coupling from any leakage, etc. I can plug in other appliances like my LP grill and the Little Red Campfire off of this quick coupling and they both have there own regulators as they come from the factory. So yes I can use two regulators in line for my appliances. I not familiar how the pressure is on the Coleman grill with the small green bottles, it may be different and require a special regulator, but I have seen adapter kits to run your Coleman from a 20 pound LP tank, I would start there. So for me the two regulator system works, but if one regulator is set to either more or less pressure you are only going to get pressure from the lowest regulator, that could affect some appliances on the high setting on how they preform. If you just open the valve on a 20 pound LP tank you can see why you need a regulator on it, it comes out under high pressure, remember just cracking the valve slightly will show you why. Look into a conservation kit for you Coleman grill, this should tell you what is needed for proper operation.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:17 AM   #15

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
propane y

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post

Thanks in advance.

Chuck
would this work for you?
Attached Thumbnails
41w-x30mjWL__AC_.jpg  
hghsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #16

I used this combination:

the one with green connector mounted at the tanks, the red one, I removed the mounting bracket and the tank connector and added a Male 1lb bottle fitting that I put on the end of my 50' hose.
this gives me all the length I need, no extra bottles, and I can run Coleman stove and Barbecue, at the same time. (or whatever low pressure LP appliance I want)
Attached Thumbnails
camco-air-tool-fittings-59133-64_1000.jpg   coleman.jpeg  

Old 12-07-2019, 06:23 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
RV uses 11 WC, Coleman stoves us 14WC.
14 is much higher pressure, so the 11 will not let the Coleman stove do more than a low low flame, too low for cooking.
The first thing I am going to say is that EVERY camp stove manufacturer will tell you NOT to modify their product. I am NOT suggesting in any way that ANYONE do so. I personally use an old Weber Q100 to do the majority of my camp cooking, and infrequently use a stove.
While the quoted statement is somewhat valid, it is not entirely true. After I purchased a Camp Chef Ranger II, a camp stove DESIGNED to run on low pressure, I no longer needed a stainless steel Brinkmann stove no longer manufactured (parts no longer available). The Brinkmann used the same type regulator as a Coleman stove. One rainy day, having little to do, I decided to experiment with the stove. I found a website which discussed propane orifice sizes in relation to pressures supplied. The orifices in Brinkmann (and Coleman) stoves are not readily visible as the burner assembly has a tube which fits over the orifice. Using a small wrench, I removed one of the orifices and using masking tape, sealed the propane feeder tube. Using a common pin, I punched a slightly larger hole in the masking tape than the hole in the brass orifice. I reassembled the stove, cut the regulator and threaded piece which fits on the 1-pound disposable off of the propane connector assembly, and turned it into a low pressure assembly using a low pressure male fitting, a hose barb, two small hose clamps, and a piece of propane tubing. I then (holding my breath) lit that burner using the modified setup. To my surprise, the resulting range of flame was identical to the flame prior to the temporary modification. I then used a pin vise with a micro drill bit (bought as a set at Ace Hardware, @ $15) to enlarge the orifice itself with the bit the next larger size than the bit which fit through the unmodified brass orifice. After reinstallation, it worked as well as the “masking tape” orifice. I then did the same to the orifice feeding the second burner. Obviously, the slightly larger orifice allows more propane to flow at 11-inches, replicating the performance of the higher pressure for which these stoves are designed. The only down side was that the push button igniter no longer worked, presumably because it wouldn’t ignite at a lower pressure even though the flow of gas was increased. Therefore, I had to light the stove with a butane barbecue lighter of a stick match.

Again, I AM NOT SUGGESTING anyone “do this at home.” I believe the Ranger II, though larger and heavier, is a better alternative for someone wanting a low pressure camp stove. But for someone who really wants to modify (at their own risk) a Coleman type stove to work on low pressure, it can be done. However, unless replacement orifices are available, the modification cannot be reversed, the orifice opening is permanently enlarged. And, as the member I quoted stated, if the modification I made had not been done, the flame would have been to low to cook anything.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

I don’t think anyone is suggesting running a Coleman on low pressure, and certainly not modifying a high pressure appliance to run on low pressure. The OP seems cognizant of the difference.

Coleman makes products that allow their appliances to run off bulk tanks. It would have to be installed upstream of the regulator for the trailer, which appears to be what the OP is proposing. I have no idea if that would have any effect on the proper function of the downstream regulator (that was the question). Seems like others have done it, but I would personally consult an LP professional, not an internet forum, about combining high pressure and low pressure systems off the same tank(s) at the same time.

The simpler solution for me is to use two separate tanks, both on the tongue of the trailer. One is connected to the trailer via a single-tank low pressure regulator. The other is not plumbed to the trailer and can be removed to fuel an outdoor kitchen. I like that solution better because it allows me to set up the outdoor kitchen away from the trailer. I sure don’t want 50’ of LP hose snaking around our campsite.

I use a Coleman-branded, 3-appliance tree to run a Coleman-branded stove and lantern, but it’s compatible with any appliance designed to run off the disposable 1# cylinders. I carry a couple of short hoses with the correct fittings inside the stove case. I had all that from my tent camping days along with a small bbq that we abandoned in favor of charcoal. I prefer using two 11# tanks on the trailer for less tongue weight and easier handling. It’s plenty of fuel for our typically shorter trips.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
While there are ways to connect to the high pressure bottles on the trailer, and I have some this lots in the past, using a low for the last 10 years is for me a WAY better method. No extra tanks of any size and always propane to be used.

The old Coleman white gas stoves performed great, there were issues with using it, I found all the propane ones I gave used to perform poorly, mostly trying to simmer at a low setting. Now using a Camp Chef Ranger II, which has fantastic burners and we enjoy it.

Our BBQ and fire pit are set up to work on low pressure too, using any two at a time.

Lots and lots of methods of cooking out there, and various a setups for each, and as long as you are cooking and having fun and making memories all is good regardless of which type you choose. [emoji16][emoji106]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Good point, Jim, and you’re right about simmering. When I used a coffee percolator on the Coleman propane stove, I had to set it halfway off the burner on low to get a nice gentle perc. Since I graduated to pour-over, it doesn’t matter.

I stuck with Coleman because it’s what I already owned. It’s 30 years old and still works well. Most of the low pressure camp stoves I’ve seen are a lot bulkier than my trusty Coleman, but perhaps there are some nice compact units out there?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, scamp