U-haul VT-16 Water system - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I'm pretty sure I have too many pumps. This VT has three! one large one back under the dinette, a small one (1.3 GPM) under the sink near the water heater. Another of those near the closet serving the bathroom sink. Then there's a larger one under the dinette that I believe connects up to the water heater.

There was a lot of retrofitting, and I'm plumbing out this whole thing again, so is it possible that one or two is actually enough?

Regards,

Matt
Old 05-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
You should only need the one bigger pump. It should be placed somewhere near the fresh water tank and will pressurize the complete system, both hot and cold sides. Take a look at another stock RV sometime. You can use it as an example if you are re-plumbing yours.
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Matt:

I asked Kevin about our VT, but he said that, while we have just one pump as far as he knows, he does not know if it is an original one. We don't have it hooked up right now. Ours had a large water tank when we bought it, but its location, right out in the middle of the floor, under what was obviously intended to be a permanent bed, caused us to remove it. At this point, we have not added on-board water and are not using what appears to be the one pump.

CindyL
Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
[b]There was a lot of retrofitting, and I'm plumbing out this whole thing again, so is it possible that [b]one or two is actually enough?
I speculate that a previous owner decided to add the 2 smaller pumps to compensate for poor flow from the larger (probably main) pump which may be original and is wearing out. I would totally remove the 2 smaller pumps and replace the larger one with a new one of similar size, augmented with an accumulation tank.

On further thought, poor flow may not be tho only reason for the axillary pumps... I'll bet that while the big one ("back" under the dinette, which is also the main bed) was wearing out, it became [b]noisy, and that the previous owner figured the smaller pumps farther away would be quieter in the middle of the night...
Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
I speculate that a previous owner decided to add the 2 smaller pumps to compensate for poor flow from the larger (probably main) pump which may be original and is wearing out...
Thanks everyone.

Paul: Looking at the history of these VTs, I believe the shower was the last thing added. There's at least one VT over on UHAULCAMPER that does not have the shower retrofit. I'm thinking they probably had a small pump at the kitchen sink, later added a small, single-fixture pump for the privacy room sink, and ultimately a high capacity one when the water heater was installed. The smaller pumps look older and at least one of them doesn't work. I'm hoping the big one does work, because it's more modern, with a pressure switch on the pump head. I'll look into adding the accumulator tank.

Do you have any idea why these single tap faucets have three water supply lines? They have built-in hand pumps, so maybe there's a feed back to pressurize the water tank?

Regards,

Matt
Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Ours does not have a hand pump. We have a faucet with a hand-held shower attached to it. I thought it was something added later, but there was a guy who posted briefly on uhaulcamper. He worked on original VTs and said that our faucet was original.

CindyL
Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

I'm thinking they probably had a small pump at the kitchen sink, later added a small, single-fixture pump for the privacy room sink, and ultimately a high capacity one when the water heater was installed.
I got it backwards!

Tags
u-haul