Uh oh. Gray water tank ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #15

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' 2007 Scamp without bathroom
Arizona
I guess I was lucky I didn't get kicked out the last two times I went camping with the water sploshing out everywhere from my little bucket. :0

Old 04-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #16

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
I bought a Thetford 12 gallon waste water holding tank at Camping World last year on the way to a vintage trailer camp. Here's a link to that tank:

Tote Tanks | Honey Wagon | Smart Tote | Portable RV waste water tanks | blue holding tanks | black water holding tank Camping World - Tote Tanks | Honey Wagon | Smart Tote | Portable RV waste water tanks | blue holding tanks | black water holding tan

I liked having a waste water tank so much that I ordered the 21 gallon tank from Scamp that they permanently install under the floor below the rear dinette area. The Scamp web site says it holds 26 gallons but the manufacturer says it holds 21.

I'm sure Scamp would install the grey water tank on any trailer a person orders. I don't think a lot of people do. It makes sense to me. I did several camps last year where there were no hook ups.

Here's a picture of the 12 gallon tank that I made a short hose for. I used garden hose-type fitting I got at ACE hardware, a hose clamp and a piece of 3/4-inch I.D. hose. I just ran it into the opened drain outlet. There is a garden hose-type fitting on the other end of the tank. I eventually shortened the hose and installed the same threaded fitting on that end, too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5668b.JPG  

Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by realgranola View Post
Nancy, I wonder why our Scamps don't have holding tanks ? At least a small one would be nice.
Graywater tanks are available on all 13 Scamp models, but many people don't feel the need with just a sink.
I did an early Scamp 13 which is too low to accept a standard graywater tank, by placing a small tank under the portside dinette bench. the sink drained into it and the tank drained through the standard hose outlet with a ball valve under the sink for draining it. I then supplied a garden hose for draining to the sewer or dumpstation, with one end cut off to prevent accidentally using it for fresh water supply.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #18

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
mine has one, so i assumed they all did.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Nancy, I wonder why our Scamps don't have holding tanks ? At least a small one would be nice.

On board holding tanks have been an option on Scamps for years. I was always puzzled why you wouldn't want one if you have a sink. Collecting outside or in a small container under the sink just wasn't something I was willing to do.

You know 5 gallons of water can be heavier than you think. Considering your trailer, I'd get a rolling blue tote with a handle. Then you can hook it to your tow vehicle's ball and tow it to the dump station to dump the water.

I was sitting in a SP in Illinois some years ago and in the evening I kept hearing a funny sound. I finally looked out and saw several vehicles creeping slowly through the campground with their blue totes in tow. For some reason I'd never thought about people towing them before, but then liquid is heavy.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
On your 2007
the original owner decided that the tank was not worth the cost for just sink water, the good news is that it is a simple matter to install one which can be purchased from Scamp as a complete kit for $155 plus shipping, which in my case was $60. As for installation, contact me direct if you would like some instruction.

If you have an early 13 Scamp,it may be too close to the ground for a graywater tank to be practical.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #21

Arizona
Oh floyd, I am not handy at all but thanks for offering to help.
The original owner was a snowbird that travelled from Phoenix to Minnesota and only used it four times. No A/C , no furnace, no bathroom.....no holding tank !
Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #22

Arizona
Joy, since my trip is so soon, I'm going to take (2) 5 gallons lidded buckets and not fill them completely before I dump them. It'll be a pain but after this trip I will get something like you are talking about.Maybe.The dump was so far from us at this last campground that I can't imagine towing it all that way.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Many Scamps don't seem to have gray holding tanks because the original owner didn't order that option. Some might not want to have the additional weight that a 20+ gallon tank adds when full or maybe just the cost... Our 2007 Scamp, even with the bathroom option, is lacking a gray tank and came with exactly two 12 volt and one 120 volt light and 1 120 volt outlet, There were no 12 volt outlets at all. Pretty basic except for the loo...
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #24

Arizona
So the previous owner didn't get the grey water tank but did get the freshwater tank. That makes no sense to me.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
For gray water we use a 7 gallon jug I picked up at Walmart. When we get to our destination we put 5 gal. or so in the fresh water tank, that way we can't over flow the 7 gallon "gray water tank". I prefer to have the jug to a built in tank. I only need to take the jug to the dump staion instead of the whole trailer. Also the jug can be dumped in a restroom if need be. Everyone has their own way. You'll find what works best for you. Raz
Old 04-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #26

California
It came with cold water only and an outside drain. I have since added a water heater, hot water to the sink and an outside shower panel. This weeks project is adding an 8 gallon holding tank for the sink, but I will keep the outside drain on a bypass valve as well. As mentioned, it's a lot easier to take a 5 gallon container to the toilets than the entire trailer.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #27

Arizona
I didn't know it was OK to dump the container in the bathroom. I can do that !
Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #28

California
Dumping in the Bathroom
It's not always OK, be sure to ask first. Some campgrounds have holding tanks for the bathrooms and may have limited capacity.