Uh oh. Gray water tank ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #21

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' 2007 Scamp without bathroom
Arizona
Oh floyd, I am not handy at all but thanks for offering to help.
The original owner was a snowbird that travelled from Phoenix to Minnesota and only used it four times. No A/C , no furnace, no bathroom.....no holding tank !
realgranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #22

Arizona
Joy, since my trip is so soon, I'm going to take (2) 5 gallons lidded buckets and not fill them completely before I dump them. It'll be a pain but after this trip I will get something like you are talking about.Maybe.The dump was so far from us at this last campground that I can't imagine towing it all that way.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #23

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Many Scamps don't seem to have gray holding tanks because the original owner didn't order that option. Some might not want to have the additional weight that a 20+ gallon tank adds when full or maybe just the cost... Our 2007 Scamp, even with the bathroom option, is lacking a gray tank and came with exactly two 12 volt and one 120 volt light and 1 120 volt outlet, There were no 12 volt outlets at all. Pretty basic except for the loo...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #24

Arizona
So the previous owner didn't get the grey water tank but did get the freshwater tank. That makes no sense to me.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #25
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
For gray water we use a 7 gallon jug I picked up at Walmart. When we get to our destination we put 5 gal. or so in the fresh water tank, that way we can't over flow the 7 gallon "gray water tank". I prefer to have the jug to a built in tank. I only need to take the jug to the dump staion instead of the whole trailer. Also the jug can be dumped in a restroom if need be. Everyone has their own way. You'll find what works best for you. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #26

It came with cold water only and an outside drain. I have since added a water heater, hot water to the sink and an outside shower panel. This weeks project is adding an 8 gallon holding tank for the sink, but I will keep the outside drain on a bypass valve as well. As mentioned, it's a lot easier to take a 5 gallon container to the toilets than the entire trailer.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #27

Arizona
I didn't know it was OK to dump the container in the bathroom. I can do that !
Old 04-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #28

Dumping in the Bathroom
It's not always OK, be sure to ask first. Some campgrounds have holding tanks for the bathrooms and may have limited capacity.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #29

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Julie

We have a bucket that used to have cat litter in it. I put a hole in the top the size of a std. hose that hooks to the trailer. We use it for a day or two, carry the container to the rest room, or out house at the camp site and pour it into the toilet. If there is a dump site at the camp ground, we take it there and pour it into the opening intended for gray or black water. the hose can not be to deep into the container used as the gray water gets deeper it will stop draining properly so keep the hose short after it passes through the lid. We only put about a gallon of gray water into the container making it easier to carry to the restroom. We pour the water into flush toilets at camp grounds also. NEVER ON THE GROUND AT CAMPSITES, the water could attract bad animals; bears,or other unacceptable smaller animals!

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #30

Arizona
I have so much to learn. Thank you.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #31

Name: James
Trailer: u-haul 13ct
Virginia
Registry
We usually use paper plates and cups and plan to be pretty disposable during our trips but still need to clean our frying pans and coffee pot so we don't develop much gray H2o so we gather it in a large tub under our trailer but it only accumulates to a couple gallons a day which is just about enough to extinguish our fire at the end of the night (sometimes not enough) so I figure the poision that the fire leaves on the ground (which is exceptable) canceles out the small bit of soap residue (no black H2o). We usually burn our plates and cups so little is even left
lanegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote