UHaul Plumbing Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
UHaul Plumbing Question

I'm updating my UHaul plumbing by replacing the hand pump / faucet with an electric pump and a conventional sink faucet with a single shutoff knob. The pump is an on demand type.

The Flojet pump that I purchased shows a schematic (below) that allows the pump to basically directly interface with the city water inlet.
  • It assumes that the regulator in the city water inlet has a robust enough check valve so that water won't leak out the city water inlet when I dry camp.
  • It also assumes that the pump itself acts as a check valve when connected to city water or the water tank would overflow.

My question: Are the above likely good assumptions? The water regulator is the original, i.e. 25 years old. (Ignore the water heater and shower - I have neither)
Attached Thumbnails
Flojet_PDF-page-001.jpg  
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Should work as it is basically the same set up in my VT with Shurflo pump . You may want to wire a switch in so that it will not cycle under small leaks. ( I have a 3 way switch to allow for the bath faucet to be operated when not on city water) I used a replacement Leisure model 131 faucet( original model in mine) but did not wire it into the circuit which will still allow the pump feature as a last resort. Would caution you on the durability of the original white garden hose that was installed for fresh water piping if yours was like mine. I replaced everything with pex and stab fittings which works well, also replaced the city/ nonpressurized water inlet as it was over 25 years old, part is a standard Shureflo 163-020 and is an exact replacement at least on the VT.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely add an electrical switch as an over ride.

I was wondering about using Pex - it seems like a natural for RVs. Did you buy a crimping tool or just use hose clamps?

I'll hook it all up and if I need to add additional check valves, I will do so.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #4

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Neither, They make a plastic insertion fitting , just stab it in and little teeth keep it there. you can push in the retainer ring and take it apart. you will likely need to buy a transition supply line to hook to the faucet. I got everything at Menards but Lowes has the same stuff. You can heat the Pex gently with a heat gun to make a smooth radius but be careful as you can put a permanent kink in it or just get an elbow. Stab fittings are a bit pricey so if you have access to a crimper go for it. Pex can take a freeze with water in it and still be OK which is an advantage for your trailer if you don't get it all blown out in the fall. Took me about 3 hours but I had 2 faucets one on each side of the trailer and the pump and I had to take out my closet bath sink and replaced the Shurflo city water pressure reducer at the same time so I had it all torn up. Just double check the stab fittings by pulling hard on them after installation should be good to go.
Michael J
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
You may also want to get a new Shur-Flo city water inlet to replace your old unit. Ours was leaking very badly, so I ordered a new one on the web. Works great now with no leaks when hooked to city water.

Since we try to find city-water sites whenever possible, I made basically the same setup you have in the diagram, but set it up externally for some trips. I put the water tank on a wheeled dolly and fill it up at a camp faucet. Then, I use snap hose fittings and put it together, hooking up to the city-water inlet on the VT. Plug it in and it's ready to go! As noted, small leaks do cause the pump to cycle once in a while, so I check those fittings on the external hoses regularly. I haven't put in an external switch yet, but probably will so that I can turn off the power to the pump from inside the trailer when we don't need it pressurizing the system. This has been much easier for us than hauling water jugs into the trailer at dry sites. Plus we can still use the hot water heater and regular faucets.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Pex is awesome, it's required in a lot of new home construction. I have the crimper and the metal bands, I really don't trust the barbed plastic fittings.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul