Water filler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I take a filler tube like floyd has pictured and screw it onto my hose.Then I drape the hose from the left side over the top of my spare tire then over to the filler port. The spare tire holds the weight of the hose up and make filling easy and free flowing.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #16

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Donna: I'm with you, finding a less expensive way of doing something leaves me with more resources to do other things I enjoy. That's why I have a Scamp and don't stay at the Hilton.

Went to Harbor Freight and got the Multi-Use Transfer Pump Donna D. recommended. At some camping areas, state or national parks, the hoses used to fill a tank are just a rubber hose cut off at the end. There is no connector. Plus, I usually take a couple of 6 gallon containers and use those to replenish. They are very heavy to lift and steady. Alot of water ends up on the ground. I've had people comment that EMPTYING tanks is prohibited, not realizing the puddle is by my refill. We'll try this at Quartzsite and see if it works. If not, only out $8.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they were very helpful.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #17

Utah
Registry
Just and update. I used the Multi-Use Transfer Pump and found it was worth while. Went into Quartzsite, filled a 6 gallon container, got the siphon going and sat back talking to my next door neighbor while the pump did its work. Just keep the container above the inlet for water and everything is easy.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
For those who are squeamish about such things, that Harbor Freight transfer pump isn't made of "food grade" materials and really isn't supposed to be used for drinking water.

There are drinking water grade siphon pumps out there, though of course they're more expensive. here's a link to one .
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Just and update. I used the Multi-Use Transfer Pump and found it was worth while. Went into Quartzsite, filled a 6 gallon container, got the siphon going and sat back talking to my next door neighbor while the pump did its work. Just keep the container above the inlet for water and everything is easy.
Ok I will bite. How did you keep the water container above the inlet while sitting back talking to the neighbours?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #20

Utah
Registry
The table I use for my camp stove sits higher than the inlet for the water. I just sat the container on it. If it was not available, I could have backed the Rav up and set it in the back.

Francesca: You are most likely correct about the food grade material. In my case, I never use the water for drinking. Just bathing and washing dishes. I carry drinking /cooking water in a 2 gallon container that I fill up at home.

This is why I rarely go camping where I have to boondock. Too much stuff to carry in and out with you.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #21

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
When I bought my Scamp, the freshwater tank was missing. I have a 5 gallon 'jerry' can under the sink. I just take it out when I need to fill it. And I blocked the fill hole hole cover for sinks. I added a aftermarket windshield washer pump under the sink-if provides good water through a 1/4" line(ran the line through the 'handpump' faucet. Very easy to winterize too-just take out the pump. (I only have the sink in my unit-no bathroom-except the portapotty).
Old 02-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #22

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I've installed a 'water pump bypass' valve in my Scamp. It allows water to enter the tank when you are at a campsite and connected to city water. It sure is quicker and easier than using the stock water fill.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 02-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #23

Utah
Registry
The only time I use the water tank is when I am boondocking. Rather than travel long distances with a tank full of water (appx. 100 extra lbs.), I fill up when I get to the destination, and refill by 6 gal. container if necessary to avoid hitching up and hauling the trailer to the water source. Otherwise, my first choice is to camp where water, electric and sewer are available.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #24

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I installed a new water filler and use the camco filler shown above on the hose, works great. I've never filled from a container, so I can't speak to that. I just fill up before I leave since I trust my water, and I have 40 gallons, so I've never ran out. Worst comes to worst, I have deck plates in the tanks for cleaning, so I could use them to fill if a container didn't work with the filler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1392767093.523011.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	68349

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1392767199.457767.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	68350