Water filler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #1

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Water filler

The water filler on curb side back the 13' Scamp is ridiculous. A hose can not be propped up, and the water can only input at a trickle. Has anyone changed out this system or found a way to override it? Details and pictures would be a plus.
Thanx,
Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
The previous owner of my Fiber Stream installed a regular hose bibb (garden hose faucet) in the fresh water tank's drain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0274.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	67555

I went to a hardware store and bought a female-to-female garden hose adapter (not shown) for less than $5 and keep it screwed onto the end of the bibb. Then I bought a screw-in cap like for the "City Water" port (not shown) and cap the fitting in the same way. When I want to fill the tank, I attach the white hose to the tank's drain bibb the same way I connect it to the "City Water" fitting. I open the valve as if I were draining the tank, then I turn on the water to the white hose which fills the tank through the drain quicker than using the tank fill port, which I open for venting. When the tank is full I close both the drain bibb and shut off the water to the white hose.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #3

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Water Filler

Here is a Water Filler that may work. You can visit my website to view other water fillers.
Chuck
Attached Images

FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The Camco water filler hose works fairly well. You can insert the clear hose into the filler opening. Also sold at Wally World. I like the valve an the end of the hose.
Amazon.com: Camco 40003 RV Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve: Automotive
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
The water filler on curb side back the 13' Scamp is ridiculous. A hose can not be propped up, and the water can only input at a trickle. Has anyone changed out this system or found a way to override it? Details and pictures would be a plus.
Thanx,
Alice
Pictured below is the solution found for a replacement of the Scamp water filler.
It has a tapered opening which allows inserting a filler tube or a garden hose or it especially works well with the tapered spout which is supplied with those green plastic jerry-cans found at the big-box store.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0116.JPG  
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Thanx,
Alice
Similar to Fredericks drain redo, but I used a "laundry faucet" like on a washing machine, as it doesn't stick out quite as far and is equipped with a hose fitting male thread; no adapter needed.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Just a heads up. I have a filler like Floyd shows, I found I could wedge a male hose coupling in the filler thereby keeping the hose straight while filling. Problem was when the tank filled, the pressure (which was pretty much wide open) needed somewhere to go and it found the weakest link at the hose clamp on the inside of the filler. I caught it pretty quick but not quick enough to avoid who knows how much pouring onto and eventually under the trailer floor.

Lesson learned, either don't overfill the tank or only fill at a rate where you have room for the overflow to come out, safely. I use a smaller diameter hose that leaves plenty of room at the filler spout.

What a mess.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #8

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Alice,
The stock Scamp fill inlet on my 03 has a little basin that protrudes out from the side of the trailer about 2", and has a hinged toilet seat type cover with a swing latch. It does not hold the hose well unless I aim the hose straight down vertically where the threads of the hose end sort of catch on the plastic ridges inside the basin. The water flow does have to be slow to keep it from backing up though. I guess patience is required, like using California approved gasoline fillers.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Or, don't change anything and buy a cheap transfer pump. Leave the water container on the ground and pump to fill the tank. It will take some effort, but it's not like you're filling a 55 gallon tank: Multi-Use Transfer Pump
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #10

Utah
Registry
Frederick, Chuck, Eddie, Floyd, Charlie, Bob, Russ, and Donna:
Thank you all for your input. It has given me some solutions to work with. Since I'm heading down to Las Vegas today for some shopping, I'll stop off at Harbor Freight and get the transfer pump and try it at Quartzsite. It's the easiest and least expensive solution to try at the moment. If it doesn't work, then I can look into other ways instead. Thanks to all for giving me good ideas.
Alice

Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
This thing fits on the end of a garden hose and has its own shut off,
Works great!....
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeppers Alice! Start cheap, if it doesn't work for YOU move to the more expensive. I'm cheap, can't help it. I often think, how OFTEN do I need to use (whatever). If it's an everyday item, that is totally different than something that makes my life easier (and cheaper) than something used a couple of times a year. YMMV.

Best of luck, truly
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #13

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I found that if you take a hose like is used on a washing machine. Cut a 14 inch piece from the female end it will fit in the filler. Use that on the end of a regular garden hose.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
This thing fits on the end of a garden hose and has its own shut off,
Works great!....
I have modified this by taking a very pliable soft hose and extended it down into the tank. I leave it there, and connect a metal hose end similar to above, to that hose and just fill it as fast as the garden hose can give gpm, as the displaced air just come out around the soft hose.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I take a filler tube like floyd has pictured and screw it onto my hose.Then I drape the hose from the left side over the top of my spare tire then over to the filler port. The spare tire holds the weight of the hose up and make filling easy and free flowing.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #16

Utah
Registry
Donna: I'm with you, finding a less expensive way of doing something leaves me with more resources to do other things I enjoy. That's why I have a Scamp and don't stay at the Hilton.

Went to Harbor Freight and got the Multi-Use Transfer Pump Donna D. recommended. At some camping areas, state or national parks, the hoses used to fill a tank are just a rubber hose cut off at the end. There is no connector. Plus, I usually take a couple of 6 gallon containers and use those to replenish. They are very heavy to lift and steady. Alot of water ends up on the ground. I've had people comment that EMPTYING tanks is prohibited, not realizing the puddle is by my refill. We'll try this at Quartzsite and see if it works. If not, only out $8.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, they were very helpful.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #17

Utah
Registry
Just and update. I used the Multi-Use Transfer Pump and found it was worth while. Went into Quartzsite, filled a 6 gallon container, got the siphon going and sat back talking to my next door neighbor while the pump did its work. Just keep the container above the inlet for water and everything is easy.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
For those who are squeamish about such things, that Harbor Freight transfer pump isn't made of "food grade" materials and really isn't supposed to be used for drinking water.

There are drinking water grade siphon pumps out there, though of course they're more expensive. here's a link to one .
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Just and update. I used the Multi-Use Transfer Pump and found it was worth while. Went into Quartzsite, filled a 6 gallon container, got the siphon going and sat back talking to my next door neighbor while the pump did its work. Just keep the container above the inlet for water and everything is easy.
Ok I will bite. How did you keep the water container above the inlet while sitting back talking to the neighbours?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #20

Utah
Registry
The table I use for my camp stove sits higher than the inlet for the water. I just sat the container on it. If it was not available, I could have backed the Rav up and set it in the back.

Francesca: You are most likely correct about the food grade material. In my case, I never use the water for drinking. Just bathing and washing dishes. I carry drinking /cooking water in a 2 gallon container that I fill up at home.

This is why I rarely go camping where I have to boondock. Too much stuff to carry in and out with you.