Water flow issues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Nash 22' Camper Trailer
Colorado
Water flow issues

Hi I am Mike, I am new to this site.

Just recently came back from a week stay at San Isabel Camp Site, had an issue with water flow. Filled up my tank, got to the site, tried to run water and nothing but a trickle. Water pump real loud, but barely coming out of faucet. Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike
Nash98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Have you checked the in-line filter between the water tank and the pump for clogging debris, (and if you have aerators on your faucets, I'd pull them and check them for debris as well.) You should have something between the tank and pump that looks similar to this. Pull the strainer and check. It's not uncommon for debris to keep water from flowing. At least these are "no-cost" things to check first before tearing out the pump and stuff.
Although your strainer may look different depending on make/model, but it should give you an idea of what you're looking for.
Attached Images

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash98 View Post
Hi I am Mike, I am new to this site.

Just recently came back from a week stay at San Isabel Camp Site, had an issue with water flow. Filled up my tank, got to the site, tried to run water and nothing but a trickle. Water pump real loud, but barely coming out of faucet. Any ideas?
Thanks
Mike
Mike,

Sometimes the internal check valves get sticky. I tore my Flojet apart once just to learn that nothing was really wrong other than the pump hadn't been run for a year.

A simple fix that has been reported to work well is to suck on the shower hose or similar while letting the pump keep running for a bit.

And as Greg notes, there is a filter and aerators which can clog too...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
was the tank drain valve closed when you filled the tank?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:15 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Have you checked the in-line filter between the water tank and the pump for clogging debris, (and if you have aerators on your faucets, I'd pull them and check them for debris as well.) You should have something between the tank and pump that looks similar to this. Pull the strainer and check. It's not uncommon for debris to keep water from flowing. At least these are "no-cost" things to check first before tearing out the pump and stuff.
Although your strainer may look different depending on make/model, but it should give you an idea of what you're looking for.
The screen on our pump was partially plugged causing the same problem your encountering . The picture Casita Greg posted is the same screen we have , easy to remove and clean . It’s worth a look
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:51 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Is this trailer or pump new to you? If so check that the wiring is properly routed so it is running in the proper rotation.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:39 AM   #7

Name: Dick
Trailer: Casita
California
When was the last time the water heater anode was changed, and was the tank washed out afterward. I learned the hard way!
Dick in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick in CA View Post
When was the last time the water heater anode was changed, and was the tank washed out afterward. I learned the hard way!
I'm not sure what you learned, hard way or otherwise, but the HWH anode, and any corrosion or debris in the HWH would have nothing to do with either debris in the in-line filter or the water pump. The HWH is downstream of both, and shouldn't have any effect one way or another on the water pump. The water pump doesn't pump any hot water. It only replenishes the system, through an on-demand pump, (as pressure drops,) as water is being used, and that would, of course, be cold water.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #9

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Water flow

How about air in the line at the pump. The water pump will not pump air. The first thing I do is open the water tank drain to get the air out of it. Then I hold open the toilet flush water valve. This valve is the lowest point in the system. 99 percent of the time this works. There have been a couple of times when I had to loosen the fitting on the discharge side of the pump to get the air out. It helps to open the cold water faucet while filling the tank. This allows the air to move past the water pump.

San Isabel lake is a beautiful place. Haven't been there yet this year. We down at the State Park
South of Walsenberg last week. Lathrop State Park.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote