Water Pump noise - normal? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2011 KZ Sportsmen 242SB / 2004 Ram-Cummins 2500 2wd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art VanDelay View Post
They BANG allot. That's normal. Use campground connection when available.
There is remarkable difference in pump noise, depending on Manufacturer.
I have a 25 year old 3-chamber ShurFlo that is quite loud, a 4-chamber Artis (in my current TT) that was quite loud until I remounted it in a foam-lined tub (not on the middle of a 1/8" plywood panel that acted like a sounding board), and a Flojet 'Quiet Quad' 4 chamber, that I use as a transfer pump when 'Boondocking'. It is fastened to a 3/4" plywood base and is so quiet that I had to put my hand on it to see if it was running, and that was sitting on my pick-up tailgate!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #16

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

My original Shur-Flo water pump as installed by the Fiber Stream factory. It is under the "Driver's Side" or "Street Side" bunk. At the bottom of the picture is the Fresh Water Tank in the front corner of the trailer. (There is a small compartment door at the front of the trailer to access the blank space between the tank and the bunk wall on the left. This is where I stow the WDH spring-arms and the stabilizer jacks you see.) At the top of the picture is the water heater. To the right of the picture are the City Water Port and the Water Tank Fill Port.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	61638

As you can see the City Water connection completely bypasses the pump, therefore you do not have to energize the pump when hooked-up. The pump is only used when you do not have access to a water hose spigot, and must draw water out of the fresh water tank.

This pump was 30+ years old and sounded like a semi-truck's Jake Brake when run. You'll notice that all of the piping is rigid. While the gray tubing is called "Flexible" because you can bend it; it is NOT flexible for noise isolation purposes. The white pieces of "flexible hose" are too short to flex independently. The pump body is mounted directly to the floor, thus the pump is rigidly attached to everything around it. All pump noise is transmitted into the structure of the trailer effectively amplifying it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	61639
I bought an all new Shur-Flo "Whisper King" pump, separate input debris strainer, 2 truly flexible isolation hoses, and an accumulation tank. I had to re-think the orientation to fit all of the new stuff into the old space. The pump sits on Black rubber shock mounts. The screws holding the Blue foot tabs are snugged just enough to allow movement of the pump body, and not tight enough to compress the shock mounts. The truly flexible isolation hoses are looped on purpose to give them room to have the ends attached to the pump vibrate along with it, while the ends attached to the water tank and the accumulation tank stay stationary, dampening the vibrations along their length. The accumulation tank holds just enough water in an isolation bladder inside to prevent the pressure drop from reaching the pump during short water demands of say, flushing the toilet in the middle of the night. All of this attention to detail made my new pump truly silent.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #17

Your 'OLD' pump looks like a 'ShurFlo' 205-013 and should have rubber grommet mounts at the 4 corners of the base plate for isolation mounts (Same as my old pump). Not the best, but if you put soft rubber washers below and above, with 'fender washers' on longer screws, and don't tighten too much, that will ease some of the transmission to the floor. The rest of the changes you made would help even more. I plan to use my pump, at least temporarily, in a gray water recycling flush system for the toilet, thus easing the drain on fresh water.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
You can get a silencer kit from ShurFlo which are longer hoses. They further isolate the pump from the water lines to lessen the vibration thru the water lines.
Yes, but they're no so much longer hoses as they are hoses... instead of relatively rigid plastic tubing. The soft hose absorbs some of the vibration.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman View Post
Your 'OLD' pump looks like a 'ShurFlo' 205-013 and should have rubber grommet mounts at the 4 corners of the base plate for isolation mounts (Same as my old pump).
You're right, it had the "isolation" grommets, but they were screwed down so tight that they were compressed, and they were so old that they had fossilized into hard lumps.

My pump could not build up enough pressure to push water to the kitchen sink, so I felt the pump needed to be replaced... and I don't do anything half-way
Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #20

Well, here's something interesting: Today I did a test run of the two spare pumps I have (Flojet Quiet Quad-about 10 years old, and a 25 year old [at least] ShurFlo 205-103{still working fine, BTW}. My test was to see which pump would provide the stronger spray pattern from a standard kitchen spray nozzle. Now you would think the pump with the higher GPM rating would be the winner, wouldn't you? (especially when it's also at least 10 years newer) The ShurFlo is rated 3GPM @ 0 psi, the FloJet 3.2GPM @ 0 psi. Note: all the plumbing and electrical supplies are identical, as is the 'Lift' distance (~1.5ft). Both pumps were running wide open, 0 psi, so pressure switch setting did not enter into the equation.
Guess what, the ancient Shur-Flo performed better (not by much, but it did shoot the spray a bit farther). I guess maybe the older pump was rated a bit conservatively, where the newer one was rated at its very best.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #21

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Gpm isn't what drives that, it's the psi.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #22

That would be my thought too, but in both cases the pump was essentially running wide open, 0 psi. If any pressure was developed, it would be minimal, and you would think the pump with supposedly greater volume would create more.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #23

Kansas
You can't have flow without pressure (in this case). It's possibly one pump is damaged also, but I would bet its the pressure difference.

IIRC, my old pump is 55 psi, and many of the quiet ones I see around are 35-40psi now.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #24

I think you're referring to the 'Cut-off' pressure , which in the case of the 205 series pump is not adjustable, whereas the 'Quiet Quad' (and most newer pumps) are adjustable. But, like I said, both pumps were running virtually wide open (not cycling at all). I think the older pumps were rated somewhat conservatively, and newer ones optimistically.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #25

Kansas
I have the same old shur flo, and it cycles with the faucet or shower or outside water wide open (and I even removed the stupid aerators).

So mine is hitting the pressure switch while running. I'm not sure why yours isn't.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #26

Both pumps will generate lots of pressure, and a 30 ft.+ long stream if used with a fine nozzle (2x 5/32" on my home made 'Tank Blaster), and will cycle with that. However, neither cycles with the standard kitchen sprayer, they just run continuous.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #27

What happens if you open more than one at a time, or maybe all at once?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #28

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd (aka Santa) Coltman View Post
What happens if you open more than one at a time, or maybe all at once?
No idea. I don't think that's happened. I would try it, but I don't care to dry both of my tanks afterwards. I'm lazy.

When the faucet is running its just brrttt…brrttt…brrttt…

Have you done any work to them? Mine was leaking water out static, and sucking air in when running, and did run non-stop. No repair kit, and shurflo wanted $60 for a new pump head, which seemed pointless. I took it apart and siliconed it up for free. So far, so good.

Tags
noise, water pump