WATER PUMP PROBLEM-Need Help! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #15

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeCamp View Post
As far as I can see, there is no By-Pass Valve. Not sure how I would ever tell if I had a Restricted Inlet Line?

Thanks
Well, on my 2014 Scamp the line from the water tank to the pump is about 2 feet long and is pretty easy to see for the most part. The restriction would be any device placed in the line that would affect water flow. The pump manual warns against winterizing kits, 90 degree elbows or other restrictions. My line has a 90 degree elbow but nothing else between the tank and the pump. I don't think an elbow would be a problem. The main issue for me was the design of the winterizing kit. By a poor design, it needlessly restricts the water flow. If you can't locate any other significant restrictions in the inlet then some of the other suggestions offered here would likely fix this annoying issue. It drove me nuts until I got it fixed.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #16

Name: Dan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy 2014
East Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganza View Post
Well, on my 2014 Scamp the line from the water tank to the pump is about 2 feet long and is pretty easy to see for the most part. The restriction would be any device placed in the line that would affect water flow. The pump manual warns against winterizing kits, 90 degree elbows or other restrictions. My line has a 90 degree elbow but nothing else between the tank and the pump. I don't think an elbow would be a problem. The main issue for me was the design of the winterizing kit. By a poor design, it needlessly restricts the water flow. If you can't locate any other significant restrictions in the inlet then some of the other suggestions offered here would likely fix this annoying issue. It drove me nuts until I got it fixed.
If recall correctly, there is one elbow between the tank and pump also. The accumulator seems to be the most logical answer because I can't seem to find a cause. Not sure how best to gain access to the area and room in the short line from the pump outlet to put one because the reflux valve is taking up most of the space. It is vey aggravating! If this is a common problem, are we just looking at poor design? I've had several other RV's without this problem.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 05-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #17

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeCamp View Post
If recall correctly, there is one elbow between the tank and pump also. The accumulator seems to be the most logical answer because I can't seem to find a cause.

Dan
I agree with that. I'd be really surprised to find any other inlet restrictions, such as clogged filter or pump inlet, since the pump is new and had little use, but who knows? Also note, my pump cycling problem would only last for 15-20 minutes or so then stop until I turned on the water again. If your pump behaves differently it might be caused by something else.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #18

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganza View Post
... my pump cycling problem would only last for 15-20 minutes or so then stop until I turned on the water again. If your pump behaves differently it might be caused by something else.
That's correct. It's normal for the water pump to cycle for a while after shutting off the tap -- as long is it doesn't continue. I would just install an accumulator. Should solve the problem.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #19

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
You should be able to install the accumulator just after the pump. The fittings should already be there.You may need to remove the couch and water tank cover to get to it. The system will work OK without it but it sure makes a difference in the noise and lights flickering.

If the pump does not completely stop after the water is shutoff, you may have another problem.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #20

East Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
this is what i did with our lil snoozy, because of the same reason, and it took care of the problem.
Dave & paula
Dave,
How wide is the accumulator? I have 2" of water line from the pump to the reflux valve and 6" of water line from the reflux valve to the T where it goes either to the water heater or bath/kitchen. All of the fittings are crimped. Can Shark-bite fittings be used?

Dan
Old 05-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #21

East Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
You should be able to install the accumulator just after the pump. The fittings should already be there.You may need to remove the couch and water tank cover to get to it. The system will work OK without it but it sure makes a difference in the noise and lights flickering.

If the pump does not completely stop after the water is shutoff, you may have another problem.
Charlie,
Did you install an accumulator? All of my connectors are clamped with that special hand cripping tool.
Dan
Old 05-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #22

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
How often do you camp off grid and water connection? You don't need the pressure tank if that happens less than 25-30% of your nights.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #23

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
WATER PUMP PROBLEM-Need Help!

Dan,

The pump has screw on connectors. You won't have to remove the Pex connections unless you have to for the room. Just get a Shurflo accumulator tank from Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #24

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Dan,

The pump has screw on connectors. You won't have to remove the Pex connections unless you have to for the room. Just get a Shurflo accumulator tank from Amazon.

Dan, I used the same accumulator as Charlie & Sara, only I had to replace my fractured plastic anti-reflux valve (I used a slightly larger brass one), so I had even less room than you did. I placed my accumulator along the wall, by cutting into the PEX and used shark bite connectors.
Dave & Paula
Old 05-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #25

East Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Dan, I used the same accumulator as Charlie & Sara, only I had to replace my fractured plastic anti-reflux valve (I used a slightly larger brass one), so I had even less room than you did. I placed my accumulator along the wall, by cutting into the PEX and used shark bite connectors.
Dave & Paula

Thanks Dave, If I can't find another cause, That's what I'll be doing.

Dan
Old 05-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #26

East Tennessee
Quote:
Dan,

Great , Thanks for all of the help. Will get back to you guys if I need further advice when I get around to doing the task. I'm still hoping it just go away!

Dan
Old 05-26-2015, 10:40 PM   #27

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Our local Menards sells PEX fittings which are press on, reusable and compatible with the plastic tubing commonly used buy trailer makers.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:04 AM   #28

East Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Our local Menards sells PEX fittings which are press on, reusable and compatible with the plastic tubing commonly used buy trailer makers.

Good to know. I've seen them, just never used them.

Thanks,
Dan