Water pump started shutting off when showering - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 06:56 AM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Water pump started shutting off when showering

It worked for the last month, just fine. Just yesterday, it was still working fine, then shut off in the middle of a shower. What I notice is that if I push the lever on the bathroom sink back down and cut off the water to the shower head, the pump comes back on. It works completely as normal when I use sinks. But once I push water back to the shower head, it dies.

Any ideas?

I didn't notice any obvious clogs or anything but I haven't had much time to look.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Try removing the shower head and just running water through the shower hose. The fact that it stopped mid-shower leads me to believe that the head is somehow clogged.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
... What I notice is that if I push the lever on the bathroom sink back down and cut off the water to the shower head, the pump comes back on. It works completely as normal when I use sinks. But once I push water back to the shower head, it dies.

Any ideas?

Faulty or out-of-adjustment pressure switch? Just a guess.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Is it possible that the shower head is acting as a restriction .When you open a faucet there is a sufficient pressure drop to activate the pump's pressure switch and start the pump .The shower head water flow may be to small to allow the pump to run continuously.
I would check the shower head for dirt or particles . I had a similar issue when the aerator on my kitchen faucet was plugged up.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Is it possible that the shower head is acting as a restriction .When you open a faucet there is a sufficient pressure drop to activate the pump's pressure switch and start the pump .The shower head water flow may be to small to allow the pump to run continuously.
I would check the shower head for dirt or particles . I had a similar issue when the aerator on my kitchen faucet was plugged up.
Yup. I was thinking low flow head.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Faulty or out-of-adjustment pressure switch? Just a guess.
Yea, I like the other suggestions better now that I think about it.. so I made a bad guess. But if clogging is not the issue then it is still a possible cause.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you take apart an aerator to remove debris, pay close attention to what goes where and which direction it faces. If you don't, it's like doing a jig-saw puzzle.
Anyway, cleaning the aerator on the kitchen sink is what fixed my pump.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If your trailer has been sitting unused for a long period of time your fresh water tank could have some accumulation of debris which were shaken loose when you were going down the road. I would check the intake side of the pump, showerhead and kitchen faucet strainers for obstruction The pressure switch could also have some debris too. A tank rinsing might be needed.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #9

Montana
Ok! Thanks. I'll check the shower head first and go from there
Old 05-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Some shower fixtures have a vacuum breaker to allow the hose to drain, and it might be causing trouble. On my trailer it is located where the hose attaches to the hot/cold fixture.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #11

Montana
Now any advice to unscrewing the aerator off the shower head? Brute strength or is there a method?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
A pair of channel locks, with one of those rubber jar-lid-grippers to protect the aerator might be a good place to start.

If that doesn't work, anything short of a cutting torch is allowed.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #13

Montana
Thanks. I got it off. Just needed to try for longer.

I didn't see anything obvious, but I'll try out the shower again. I found out we have showers at work so for now I'm using those anyways. I'll get around to trying my shower again and I'll see if maybe taking it apart did anything...
Old 05-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #14

Montana
Would you believe that I just didn't really know how to use my shower? Yes, I'll bet you can all believe that.

I've been annoyed that the shower didn't have an on/off switch on the head, which meant my "navy showers" involved constantly turning off the water at the sink tap, which has separate hot/cold controls, so I'd have to re-adjust the mix many times during one shower.

On the shower head there's a dial. Two settings. One has several lines, the other is one solid line. I figured that meant two flow choices. One more of a mist, the other a stronger flow. But no...One is on, one off I think while I was showering, the dial got moved just enough that it was getting into the off position, and shutting down the water pump.

Now I just need to figure how to put it back together right. I must have lost a part, because "off" is not really quite off...just enough water comes out that the pump stays on and I'm still wasting water when I don't need it. It's pretty simple inside the shower head and all I can figure is that a washer jumped out and lost itself somewhere...