Water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 74 Honey Boler
Hello all,
I recently purchased a '74 Boler and am now in the process of making it camp worthy. There are several trouble spots.

1. The furnace is an old catalytic (no fan) and I can't get the pilot light to stay lit. I can light it, but it's a very weak flame and it goes out as soon as I let go of the pilot button.

2.) I think there is a leak in the belly band. How do I take that off and re rivet it?

3.) The water tank is (was) original and shattered on towing it home. Where can I source of of those in Canada.

4.) Windows leak. I read the window replacement thread, but could someone detail step by step what the procedure is for replacing the windows using SS bolts and acorn nuts?

5.) 120V water pump doesn't work. (Not that I have a water tank anyway!) Where can I get a cheap one.

I am in for a long road, ain't I?

Thanks in advance for all your wisdom.
Jeff
J Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: The water tanks are avail from Polyrama plastic in Edmonton Alta. Canada I just checked this out !!! 8.25 Imp. gal. size 39"x16"x4" stock#ERT 8.25 listed under specialty tanks @ www.polyramaplastics.com . They will ship any where... I hope this info helps. Alf S.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
1. The furnace is an old catalytic (no fan) and I can't get the pilot light to stay lit. I can light it, but it's a very weak flame and it goes out as soon as I let go of the pilot button.
This could be any # of things caused by the propane system itself, BUT, one thing it could also likely be is the pad on the heater is spent. They do not last forever, and when they start to loose effectiveness, they do not burn as efficeintly and sometimes, they go out just as you have described.

They will also give off more moisture and in general, operate very poorly. This is not only annoying, it's dangerous.

With a 74, and if it's original, this might be the problem. You CAN replace pads, but I wouldn't have a clue where to find them. When mine finally gave up the ghost, I just bought a new more modern cat heater.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #4

Many thanks on the Polyrama supplier, Alf. My wife has to go to Edmonton on business in May, so I'll ask her to pick one up.

Gina, pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is a pad? (Yes, I know how that sounds! ) It certainly is original. It was my neighbours trailer and it didn't move for fourteen years. Nothing has been done to it in that time and I would wager nothing was done before that either. He was the original owner.

What kind of cat did you buy? Is it outside vented? Did it fit into the same space?

Many many questions... I'm pretty handy, but I don't know much about this kind of thing.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #5

Registry
the "pad" is that fuzzy sickly green thing on the face of the heating surface. Gives ya the willies just looking at it, don't it?

I am no expert on how they work, and I have forgotten what they are made out of. I know my old one "Platcat" had platinum in small amounts.. no doubt why they are so expensive. A google search will bring up more accurate details than my sketchy memory.

I installed an Olympian Wave 3 Safety Heater.

No it is NOT vented, Cat heaters have that advantage for not giving off toxic fumes, however, they do consume LOTS of oxygen and you should have a fresh air source for it. An open window (About 2 inches) is what is what others consider safe, but I used the old vent tube from my plat cat and did a feed right next to the heater that could never be closed.

I am on a new comp, and my pics are on the OLD hard drive.. I have not transfered yet, sorry.

I am considering putting a Wave 6 in my new Burro, right above the furnace, as the furnace is temperamental, noisey and consumes too much electricity. I will do a similar arrangement for passive intake vents. I will leave the old furnace as is, but just not use it unless I have full juice. It does actually heat more evenly and produces less condensation.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I am considering putting a Wave 6 in my new Burro, right above the furnace, as the furnace is temperamental, noisey and consumes too much electricity. I will do a similar arrangement for passive intake vents. I will leave the old furnace as is, but just not use it unless I have full juice. It does actually heat more evenly and produces less condensation.
Gina, if you're installing a catalytic and will only be using the furnace when you have hookups, why not replace the existing furnace and use a little 1500 watt forced-air "cube" heater when you're hooked up? Lynne and I have one for our 5th wheel; it's a lot quieter and it makes the trailer nice-n-toasty.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:25 AM   #7

Registry
Hi: Before you get too deep into the Belly Band usually... almost 99% of the time they don't leak!!! It's probably a window...and the water is finding its own way around to the spot where it puddles!!! The Belly Band is only a nice looking face for an otherwise ugly space between the top shell and the bottom shell... These two shells are fiberglassed together on the inside of the walls under the Ensolite lining and there are weep spaces in the fiberglass along the seam to allow condensation to run down to the hem of the body. I have removed part of the band to uncover all of this...There is some pretty ugly sediment gets stuck in there though and I washed it out then used my Wifes hair drier to blow dry the wet spot...then re riveted the band. It is avail from Scamp Trailers in Backus MN. 1 800 432 3749 (ask for Justin) or www.scamptrailers.com(down load parts list) I have learned that they started in business making parts for Boler oh and I used "Nevr-Dull" wading to clean the tarnish off the aluminium. Send me a personal message w/your email add. and I will send you a link to pic's of "The Silver Billet" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-17-2007, 05:41 AM   #8

Registry
Hi: OOPS!!! on the issue of parts etc for your Honey Boler I forgot to ask... is it a 13' This is important as to the size of the tank!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #9

Registry
Peter,

1. Resale value. Some folks don't like cat heaters.
2. I have a cube heater, and do use it. The furnace actually works better, however, IF I have full power. The ignitor is temperamental. Drop elow 12v on the dot, it won't light.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Hi: OOPS!!! on the issue of parts etc for your Honey Boler I forgot to ask... is it a 13' This is important as to the size of the tank!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Yes it's a '13 Alf, so according to my tape, the tank you specified should work nicely.
I sent you a PM with my e-mail address.

I will try to post some pictures of these things for clarity.

Oh GAWD, what have I gotten myself into...

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #11

Got the furnace working!! There was a very dead bug in the pilot light tube. On the advice of an RV place here in Saskatoon I blew out the pilot tube and lo and behold it works like new.

Just for the curious, Polyrama wants 95 bucks for the water tank with fittings, 39 without.

Jeff
Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 AM   #12

Registry
Hi: We were lucky...our tank was ok the prev. ownr. had used neopreen hose and of course it froze he also installed plastic water taps complete with dribbles and no washers...so I only had to drop the tank replace all the hoses...clean the tank with bleach/water and replace the bolts holding it up with S/S 6"ones. I put in proper 60 lb. R.V. water lines through to the pump a new vent line to the fill cup on the trailer wall and flex fill hose to the tank...S/S flex lines to the taps... Bar sink taps from Home Hdw. cold side hooked to the hose fitting from city water...and hot side hooked to the 12v.pump.So we have running water...Cold and Colder!!! Alf S North shore of Lake Erie p.s. sorry about the price...you just asked about suppliers!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #13

Registry
Hi: Agin' "OH GAWD!!! What have I......" I always say "It keeps me off the Streets" Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 AM   #14

Registry
Hi: Again...my mind didn't get up when I did I forgot to say that after all my plumbing prowess and our second trip out with "The Silver Billet" we went to a KOA in Watkins Glen N.Y. for a long wknd. Only to find we had NO WATER @ the taps...fiddled with everything GRRRRR no leaks no water either KOA repair guy visits site fiddles with everything no leaks no water I am so I simply unscrew the screen on the end of the tap and out pops a very DEAD Earwig...and lots and lots of water Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #15

Hi Alf, sounds like you've been where I'm going... I went under and around the tank and hoses last night. I'm going to have to do the full monty as well. The fill hose is cracked, the 12V pump doesn't work, and it looks to be automotive hose for the feed and vent. A stupid question however to help me understand, Two water lines come off the tank. One vent and one feed I am assuming. One is hooked up to the faucet and one just terminates under the faucet, just hanging there. Is that right?
By the way, I thought 95 bucks for the tank was pretty good as long as I can get it picked up in Edmonchuck. Shipping's the killer...
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #16

Well, thanks to Polyrama, a windshield washer pump and Princess Auto my egg has running water for the first time in sixteen years! Thanks for the supplier tip, Alf! As a note, a few mods were necessary. The tank from polyrama doesn't have a cutout for the fill, as on the original tank, but is fully rectangular. I was able to move it closer to the frame on the right to get it hooked up though. I replaced all lines, the 12V switch and polished up the faucet. More to come...
Old 05-14-2007, 11:55 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Got the furnace working!! There was a very dead bug in the pilot light tube.
Quote:
I simply unscrew the screen on the end of the tap and out pops a very DEAD Earwig...and lots and lots of water
That's why they call technical problems "[b]Bugs"!
Has anyone ever found a slightly dead bug?

Quote:
[b]Barrister:
But we've got to verify it legally, to see
[b]Mayor:
To see?
[b]Barrister:
If she
[b]Mayor:
If she?
[b]Barrister:
Is morally, ethic'lly
[b]Father No.1:
Spiritually, physically
[b]Father No. 2:
Positively, absolutely
[b]Munchkins:
Undeniably and reliably Dead
[b]Coroner:
As Coroner I must aver, I thoroughly examined her.
And she's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead.