Water tank? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
NEWS FLASH..... Clorox MSDS
http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/down...leach0809_.pdf
Common Household Clorox still is a sodium hypochlorite containing product. That, a lot of water and a few minor ingrediants are still all that's there.

Some of the color bleaches and pretty smelling versions may not have the good stuff but, at least according to the mfg., basic Clorox still does.

That said:
I never use my supply tank for cooking or drinking water, just for washing, showers, the loo etc. For drinking & cooking I use refillable 1 gallon plastic bottles that start every trip as ice bergs in the refrigerator.

Why? Because a holding tank can be a perfect incubator for anything that just happens to sneak in from the hose or bucket you use for filling your tank.

There are some fancy water tank disinfecting liquids, tablets and powders, but as far as I have seen, they ae all basically sodium hypochlorite in one form or another.

Once a year I empty the supply tank, put in 2 cups of the cheapest bleach I can find and add 10 gallons of water. I run it through both the hot and cold system for a day or so, tow it around a bit to get the splash factor going and then drain it out. I follow with two good rinses of the entire system and call it good. Except for the extra finger growing out of my left hand, everything is just fine.

BTW: If you want real power, swimming pool bleach is plain double strength sodium hypochlorite

Do you have any idea where your tap water comes from? How long it sits in pipes ore reservoirs?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #16

Name: Patty
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
Clean Tank

I JUST REMOVED THE TANK AND USED A CHLORINE/WATER SOLUTION. CLOSED UP ALL THE HOLES (INTAKE/OUT TAKE, ETC...) AND KEPT THE SOLUTION IN THERE FOR A FEW DAYS, MAKING SURE I ROTATED THE TANK OFTEN TO GET ALL 6 SIDES. SURE SMELLS AND LOOKS FINE. TOSSED THE HOSE TO THE SINK...EEEEEEUUUUUU..... LIKE A NASTY 6TH GRADE SCIENCE EXPERIMENT.....!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #17

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Do you have any idea where your tap water comes from? How long it sits in pipes ore reservoirs?
Tap water from a municipal system is probably the safest commodity that you purchase, much safer than the food supply where every year there are many reports of consumer deaths and sickness.
All municipalities have to preform checks as to the quality of the product, Typically a Chlorine residual is checked daily or more often for larger systems. Bacteria tests and chlorine resuidals are checked at strategic spots in the system where the water may not be used as rapidly to ensure that it is suitable for consumption.
Periodically other tests for lead copper and numerous potential organic contaminants are required for all systems. Each year the municipal water supplier is required to send to each customer the results of these tests and explain any deviations. The allowable limits for these potential contaminents are derived by the EPA based on the premise that a consumer drinking 2 liters of water per day for 70 years would have a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of having some ill effect from that chemical contaminent. Bacteria and viruses and such are always set at 0,which is why keeping a Chlorine residual is so effective.
The food you buy and the water you buy in the plastic bottle by the case at a store has little or no regulations of this type and the water can sit in the plastic bottle for months in the back seat of your vehicle leaching all of the plasticizers out of the bottle which may explain why it tastes funny sometimes.
Michael J.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM   #18

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny55 View Post
......... My water tank will not be used for drinking water, I really can't trust it. ............Donny
Do what you feel is best, but if you ever saw the inside of your plumbing pipes in your home, you'd never drink the water again.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
I now carry bottled water for drinking and cooking.

Keeping all the components of the trailer water system sanitary for drinking is problematic.

Fresh water sources along the trail are often questionable.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #20

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Cleaning with bleach will take care of problems and will leave your water safe.
The bigger problem is when refilling where is the supply coming from hence the reason I use bottled water for drinking.
As for using the water for cleaning or cooking I would not worry about the supply.