Watts push fit elbows cracked - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 11:59 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Registry
Watts push fit elbows cracked

My Trillium Outback came with 2 Watts 90 degree P-620C Elbows (plastic of some sort) used to connect the water tap to the exterior inlet. Both cracked and leaked. Here is the product: Watts P-620 Union Elbow 1/2

While I may have suspected trapped water freezing thus causing the cracks, it doesn't seem to make sense because one was suspended higher than the other and my pipes were dry all winter (or so I thought). So I wonder if it was not vibration during road travels. The pipe/fittings are not mounted in the center and span approx 1 1/2 feet horizontally inside the sink cabinet.

The location of the crack on each fitting is the point of most stress, on the inside corner. Anyone have similar fittings and cracking experiences?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 03-05-2015, 01:57 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi, a pic or two may help us.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #3

Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I'll go out on the limb and say that the break might be caused by flexing of the structure while traveling, or less likely, by temperature extremes causing stress. If the pipes leading to the elbow are very short, there may not be enough give to reduce the stress.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I would replace the fittings with SS "SHARKBITE" fittings . They are more expensive but they hold well and wil not crack or break . $20 for a couple of fitings is cheaper than a leak and sharkbites do not require any special tools to install !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Hi, a pic or two may help us.
Here's a picture.

I RV therefore I am.
Attached Thumbnails
1425570846910.jpg  
Old 03-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #6

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
BCPaul
I'll say up front I'm not familiar with your Trillium plumbing. I have however done quite a bit of plumbing for my solar HW system and modification of RV plumbing.

IMO the best you can do in RV plumbing is to use PEX piping and brass fittings with compression rings such as:
PEX Clamp Tool , PEX Plumbing Tool , Watts PEX Tool , CinchClamp Tool - SupplyHouse.com and PEX Crimp Fittings , Clamp PEX Fittings, PEX Fittings , Rifeng Crimp Fittings - SupplyHouse.com

I have literally made hundreds of joints in this manner and have never had a leak. The PEX can freeze solid without damage but the brass fittings need to be drained. My Itasca Navion RV used PEX but had screw on plastic fittings that worked loose and leaked over time. I'm sure the sharkbites work but are much more expensive and IMO do not give you the security of a clamp ring. I like the stainless clamp rings better than the copper ones and the clamp tool is much cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Watts-PEX-P-94.../dp/B000BO4YKM

quote: My Trillium Outback came with 2 Watts 90 degree P-620C Elbows (plastic of some sort) used to connect the water tap to the exterior inlet. Both cracked and leaked. Here is the product: Watts P-620 Union Elbow 1/2
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
On my. Wish I knew of Sharkbite before. My trailer could fall off a cliff to a fiery end and these fittings would still hold!

I RV therefore I am.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Tks Dave, wbullivant and Steve. Looks like it is time to battle my plumbing phobias. And then on to deal with my leaking rear window. Tks!

I RV therefore I am.