Winterizing Scamp for first time. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #15
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
Minnesota
Registry
Does anyone else relieve the backpressure in the lines after running the pump? I do not see it listed in any of the threads but one of my final steps is to remove the screen in the city water connection and then push in on the valve located underneath. This will "burp" the lines, allowing some water and then AF to spurt out. Replace the screen and your good to go!
Sid

Old 10-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #16

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Thank you Sid for bringing that out! I do that as well. And you HOPE to see "pink" come out. (Although there's no screen I remove on the Scamp..just press the plunger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Does anyone else relieve the backpressure in the lines after running the pump? I do not see it listed in any of the threads but one of my final steps is to remove the screen in the city water connection and then push in on the valve located underneath. This will "burp" the lines, allowing some water and then AF to spurt out. Replace the screen and your good to go!
Sid

Old 10-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Sid

I do. Once all the lines are completely full (many of the lines on my trailer are clear so I can see they are fully loaded with pink Anti freeze) I turn the water pump off and then open up the taps one at a time and some of the anti freeze will normally come out of the tap - that will also let off the pressure in the lines. Can actually see the amount of pink in the lines drop down. My theory is as long as the only liquid in the lines is anti freeze they don't need to be completely full of it.

I do as a previous poster mention make sure ALL my holding tanks are drained prior to winterizing. To completely drain the fresh water tank I need to lower the trailers tongue down as the tanks drain is located at the bottom of the tank at the forward end of the tank. If the trailer is sitting level the fresh water tank does not completely drain. If I were to add anti freeze to the fresh water tank without making sure it was completely empty first the anti freeze going through the trailer lines would be diluted.

I also do not leave an anti freeze in the top portion of the toilet over the winter. I actually don't leave any anti freeze in the toilet at all. I drain the tank right out once I have filled the water line leading to the toilet with anti freeze. I actually don't leave any water in the toilet anytime the trailer is in storage. Never had a problem as a result of that practise.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
In addition

I named my Norwich Terrier 'Manny' after Manny Ramirez. Now back to winterizing....I store my Scamp at a retired turkey farm building so rodents are a concern. I use a product called Botanical Fresh Cab rodent repellent which is primarily Balsam Fir Oil in plant fibers. Found it on Amazon. I put one under each seat space and one up front under the bunk. I also put one under the sink. Mice and chipmunks stay out and it smells great. I have always put two gallons of fifty below in my water tank run it through the faucet and toilet. I have no hot water heater. The worst part about winter is we don't have our Scamp.
John
Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #19

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
As a slight addition to the above - for anyone that has an "outside shower", don't forget it as you go around opening/closing faucets in order to get the AF through the pipes.

Don't ask why I know this!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #20

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Winterizing Scamp last step

We winterized our 13 foot Scamp today using all of the good advice in this posting. We only have one question on the last step. Do you empty Grey and Black tanks after doing the winterizing with the antifreeze. According to Scamp website this is the last step. We just cannot figure out why we would empty. If this is a really dumb question please forgive us. I think all the other steps were clear and I liked the tip in putting your finger over the faucet!

Thanks once agin for all the great people helping each other in this forum!

Scott and Linda and SALLEE (our Scamp)
Old 11-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #21

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I never have. I DO always make sure I drain the tanks to make sure there's no residual water in there BEFORE I winterize. But no, I do not pull the valves once I run the RV antifreeze through. That's just me and have done it that way for 6 yrs. Personally, I dont think it would matter either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal6342 View Post
We winterized our 13 foot Scamp today using all of the good advice in this posting. We only have one question on the last step. Do you empty Grey and Black tanks after doing the winterizing with the antifreeze. According to Scamp website this is the last step. We just cannot figure out why we would empty. If this is a really dumb question please forgive us. I think all the other steps were clear and I liked the tip in putting your finger over the faucet!

Old 11-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal6342 View Post

I do. One of the issues with the design of Scamps grey water (as well as a number of other brands of trailers) is there is a lip on the discharge side of the grey tank that prevents the tank from completely emptying unless you have the trailer sitting tilted over to the discharge side. If not although you have put anti freeze down into the tank it is very diluted due to the water that is still trapped into the tank.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp