Yet another winterizing question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Last year we didn't use pink stuff and our toilet valve had some water in the bottom and cracked. Cost over $100 to replace. The RV guy said he had seen hundreds of cases of the toilet valve cracking. This year we are using pink stuff but not in the fresh water tank. Pumped in through city water fill in a few minutes to sinks and toilet with more poured down the drains.

That's nice if you can keep the trailer warm all winter but we are in storage with no electric.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #16

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I ordered one of these Camco 36153 RV Brass Blow Out Plug : Amazon.com : Automotive Im gonna give it a try, along with anti freeze getting poured down the kitchen and shower drain and replace the water in my porta potty with it.

If the weather isnt snowy Im up for taking my ParkLiner out for a weekend at my friends land down in the Pine Barens just to get away. Possibly useing a mr heater during the day if temps are below freezing so I can have running water, then switch to the furnace at night.....then on sunday afternoon, drain the water tank and grey water tak and use his compressor and blow out the lines take it home till the next adventure!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #17

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
I wonder about the blowout idea regarding the pump because you put the blowout plug in the city water connection. No need for any of the pink stuff in the tanks if they're empty or very nearly so because there would be so much room for expansion. don't need it in the water heater either, if you drain it. As for the nasty taste, YES!!! Don't see how any unbiased test could prove anything since individual tastes can be so different. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #18

Name: Jenny
Trailer: Scamp 13
Tennessee
Thanks Thinh for the photos and recommendations. I only recently learned, through another thread, about taking the weight off of the axle.

As to the pink stuff, I feel the same way as Byron and really don't want to put antifreeze into the fresh water tank if I can help it. But my Scamp stays in a storage yard so there's no possibility of running electric to it. In Franklin, TN, we usually only have 2-3 weeks of below freezing weather, and not necessarily in a row.

Byron doesn't add the pink stuff but he keeps a heater in his trailer. Is there anyone else with a similar water system who doesn't use a heater and also doesn't use the antifreeze? Especially in a climate like mine?

Thanks for all of the input so far, you all are very helpful!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I wonder about the blowout idea regarding the pump because you put the blowout plug in the city water connection. No need for any of the pink stuff in the tanks if they're empty or very nearly so because there would be so much room for expansion. don't need it in the water heater either, if you drain it. As for the nasty taste, YES!!! Don't see how any unbiased test could prove anything since individual tastes can be so different. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Bob, the air blow out system is a very good option for those who happen to have an air compressor but even then there are a few places the air compressor does not reach or work well on and can leave the trailer subject to damage. Depending of course on how cold it gets and for how long.

How much damage depends greatly on what options the trailer has on it. As has been mentioned water pumps in kitchen areas, floors of showers (lots of people forget to dump anti freeze down those and turn on the pump) can hold water even though the lines going to them and out have been drained or blown out. You could as mention avoid using anti freeze in those if you are willing to disconnect the hoses going in and out of each of the pumps. Had not thought of the toilet foot pump but as has been pointed out here its another area of concern.

P traps in kitchen sinks and shower drains may not get completely blown out by an air compressor system. Had the experience with a cracked P trap in a camper a few years ago that had been blown out with an air compressor.

Hot water tanks are also designed in such a way that they do not completely drain out - if using air to blow out the system you need to also open up that tank and blow some air into the drain plug area to try and force whats water is left in it out. The winter prior to purchasing my Scamp in Idaho the previous owner had to replace the hot water tank even though he was *very* sure he had drained it prior to the cold weather coming and the tank is completely covered inside the trailer with a thick styrofoam cover.

Same with grey water tanks unless the trailer is tilted well over on the drain side it may continue to hold water and using the air compressor system isnt going to clear it out completely. Same with the fresh water tank unless its been drained with the tongue of the trailer well down (at least on Scamps) its a good bet it still has some water in it as well.

Agree the anti freeze does leave a smell and taste residue that in the perfect world it would be nice not to have to deal with but as mentioned if I have used it in my trailer during winter months I dont drink the water from the tank (often dont in the summer ether). It doesnt stop me from taking the trailer out in winter though. I will do a good rinse and clean of the tanks & water lines every spring though in case I do decide I need to drink the water and I dont notice any residue smell or taste once the tank and lines have had their annual cleaning.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScamperGirl View Post
Thanks Thinh for the photos and recommendations. I only recently learned, through another thread, about taking the weight off of the axle.

As to the pink stuff, I feel the same way as Byron and really don't want to put antifreeze into the fresh water tank if I can help it. But my Scamp stays in a storage yard so there's no possibility of running electric to it. In Franklin, TN, we usually only have 2-3 weeks of below freezing weather, and not necessarily in a row.

Byron doesn't add the pink stuff but he keeps a heater in his trailer. Is there anyone else with a similar water system who doesn't use a heater and also doesn't use the antifreeze? Especially in a climate like mine?

Thanks for all of the input so far, you all are very helpful!

If I couldn't put heat in the trailer I would drain the tank and leave the drain valve open. Pump all the water I could out of through the pump after the tank was drained. Leave the pump handle in forward position (this will allow any water in the pump to drain back down the line).

The concern would mostly be freezing the pump and cracking it. Freezing the little bit water in bottom of the tank and what little would be left in the vinyl water line isn't going to do any damage since there's enough expansion space and flexibility to accommodate it.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Not only concern for pump freezing but the round plastic filter/strainer bowl before the demand pump if equipped, SO for me where it might not get above freezing for the next 4 months its the pink goo for me.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #22

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Not only concern for pump freezing but the round plastic filter/strainer bowl before the demand pump if equipped, SO for me where it might not get above freezing for the next 4 months its the pink goo for me.

The OP and myself have a hand pump at the sink. No electric demand pump. I would NOT like to drink that pink "goo".
Old 11-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
"demand pump if equipped," Was understood, maybe was just a FYI for others
Old 11-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #24

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I too have no desire to Drink "THAT PINK GOO" but in my climate it would cost approx $250.00 to $350.00 to run an electric 1500 watt heater and maintain 45 Deg F inside my trailer (Based on 9000 DD and -25 Deg F design temp )and my pump ,valves and tanks would still freeze . Two gallons of the PINK GOO cost me $3.58 at $1.79 /Gal
In parts of North America the PINK GOO maybe your only option
Old 11-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #25

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Not sure why anyone would drink RV antifreeze ( "pink goo" - which isn't gooey at all ). Presumably one would flush the lines with fresh water prior to using it for drinking water. At least, that's the idea.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Would 100 proof vodka work?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #27

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post

hmmm not sure if the vodka would eat at the seals on the pump...

I added the "pink goo" to my system last year and I flushed it twice and drank the water all spring and summer...I dont recall any unusual taste... perhaps its all in ones head lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
I dont know Carl but I always keep a bottle of Fireball Cinnamon Whisky onboard in winter in case I forget to bring anti freeze to top the drains off at night..... may not keep the trailer from freezing but it sure helps me with the cold.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote