Yet another winterizing question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I have a 1 liter bottle of monopolowa vodka 80 proof (40% alcohol)
in my pantry. It's been there a couple years. Bought it for a mister
bottle to use as a disinfectant. I bought this bottle because it's made
from potatoes. The seal has been broken so I must have used it at
some time or other.......LOL Looks like a thimble or two may be missing.

Just thought I found another use for it......LOL

Old 11-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1990
NW Wyoming
One of the great joys of a simple Scamp is its simplicity. I am not at all envious of my friends as they go through winterizing or dewinterizing their trailers. I live in a long, cold winter area. Winterizing for me means opening my freshwater tank and letting it drain. Then I simply pump my lever pump until is mostly spits air. Then I'm done with the plumbing. I've never had leaks or damage from freezing. In the spring I just fill the tank and am off and running. Occasionally I think it might be nice to have running hot water or a warm shower, but for me, the simplicity of a small trailer without complexity quickly overrides those thoughts.

If I am sure I won't be going out again, I usually put jackstands underneath to remove weight from the axle.

The simple life is good.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post

The simple life is good.
Always.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #32

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
IMO, winterization of camper outdoor is important, mostly with its water system due to freezing temperature. Drain all water as much as you could, leave all valves open-just like I did for house garden hoses, unplug hoses, close valves from inside or the house and open valves from outside wall-I don't see the anti-freesze application is necessary, especially one could drink from his/her camper's water tank when camping in summer unless flushing it really good after winter gone. Once again, empty as much as you could, leave drain cap/valves open for room of expansion regarding to frozen water, that would be enough. To those equipped with toilet, its water tank should be empty, too. In my case, I unplug both ends of my electric pump....Just my thought.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #33

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Randy thats about the only weak spot I worry about...the water pump itself...a cup of water in the water tank isnt going to damage it...some water in the water pump could... perhaps disconecting the incoming and outgoing hose and blow some air through it might solve that problem....or shop vac it out.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #34

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Randy thats about the only weak spot I worry about...the water pump itself...a cup of water in the water tank isnt going to damage it...some water in the water pump could... perhaps disconnecting the incoming and outgoing hose and blow some air through it might solve that problem....or shop vac it out.
You got that right, Buddy. Only a little water left in electric pump could crack the bearings or damage its' seals when it comes to frozen weather. Due to the renovation of my camper, all diy at home, I already thought ab winter time when it comes to winter. So, my electric pump is easily taken out. I unhook both ends of water pump, lift it off the camper, blowing off all water and just throw back in where it is installed. I also install drain pipes for water tank, fridge going through the floor into ground. My drain pipe of water tank has the valve which is left open after completely drained ...
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #35

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
I bought 3 gal RV red goo more last year after I'd misplaced the 3 gal I had. If it's going to get freezing I'll dump it in. Then I'll just flush it out a few times and sanitize again before drinking the water. Where I'm staying now the red goo tastes better than the water. and smells better too. I can flush the lines a few times and bleach it out fairly cheap. That way I use up old bottle of bleach. Then can dump in box baking soda fill drive around run in lines and dump.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #36

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator's Note
Ethylene Glycol is Automobile Radiator Coolant/Antifreeze
Windshield Washer Fluid is Methanol.
These are NOT safe additives to your potable Fresh Water Tank
Propylene Glycol is RV winterizing fluid
It IS a "safe" additive to your potable Fresh Water Tank

Please continue reading beyond this post for accurate information from forum members!
To put anti-freeze(coolant) into trailer water system during winter time, some one might be afraid of toxic residue when it comes to flush their water tank and ready for camping...Why not using....windshield fluid, same effect of anti-freeze but also cleaning out water pipe and for poisonous effect for ...drinking water tank, it would be minimized...and...you could re-use this solution for car windshield after drain out. Just my thought....
Old 11-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #37

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The rv antifreeze is not poisonous to humans nor animals, the washer antifreeze is, you choose.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #38

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Windshield washer fluid is a brightly colored liquid made of methanol, a poisonous alcohol. Sometimes small amounts of other toxic alcohols such as ethylene glycol are added to the mixture.

Try Google for more information. Let's hope nobody Googles and finds the suggestion above to use windshield washer fluid to winterize water lines.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #39

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Windshield Washer Fluid

I have used windshield washer fluid (Rated -35 Deg F) in sink and toilet traps in a pinch but never in potable water lines . I was told that you can never get the washer fluid chemicals completely out of the water tank or lines . Even on the washer fluid bottle is says the container is not to be reused and can not be made safe. I think Carl is correct about its usage . Maybe the post suggesting its use should be removed Just a thought!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #40

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
To put anti-freeze(coolant) into trailer water system during winter time, some one might be afraid of toxic residue when it comes to flush their water tank and ready for camping...
I an so baffled as to where does the idea that RV & plumping anti freeze is toxic come from? If RV anti freeze is toxic there would be a lot of dead or very sick RV owners each year.... enough to be headliner news based on how many use it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #41

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I an so baffled as to where does the idea that RV & plumping anti freeze is toxic come from? If RV anti freeze is toxic there would be a lot of dead or very sick RV owners each year.... enough to be headliner news based on how many use it.
Carol; Maybe Thinh has auto anti freeze (coolant- toxic ) (ethylene glycol) confused with RV anti freeze (propylene glycol) which is non toxic. I worked at a vegetable oil refining plant and I believe we processed soybeans to make glycol for use in latex paints and RV anti freeze and toxicity was not a major issue
Old 11-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #42

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation This topic is being monitored closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Maybe the post suggesting its use should be removed Just a thought!
I commend the membership on a measured and restrained commentary.
I think that as long as the comments are as civil as Steve's suggestion, this can be a learning experience.
I have added information to the referenced post instead of removing it.