Yet another winterizing question - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #1

Name: Jenny
Trailer: Scamp 13
Tennessee
Yet another winterizing question

Hello everyone! I've read a lot of winterizing threads and they all provide very good information about running RV antifreeze through the pump and pipes. My question is: how necessary is this for a Scamp 13 without a water pump? I purchased my trailer in July and sanitized the fresh water tank shortly after purchase but haven't used the tank since. Do I need to run antifreeze through it? I do plan to pour some down the drain for the gray water tank but my city water connector is only a short blue hose under the sink. I'm not even sure how I would put antifreeze in there without disconnecting the tube. Is it necessary?
Thanks!

Old 11-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
No need to disconnect your city water hose from the P trap just pour some anti freeze down the drain - so it goes into the p trap that is under the sink and what the city water connects to.

re the water pump - even though you havent used it there may be water sitting in it. A friends pump wasnt winterized correctly and the pump did suffer damage. Anti freeze is cheap vs the replacement of a water pump.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think she said she does not have a water pump, maybe she only has a city water connection? But why a fresh tank? Something does not add up?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #4

Tennessee
Sorry, it seems like I'm confused! I do have city water and the built-in, 12 gallon holding tank that connects to the small lever faucet. I didn't think this was a pump but I suppose it is. I meant I don't have an electric pump as I don't have either a bathroom or hot water, but i do have a gray water tank. Does this help? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
You need antifreeze in the pump. If you can get the trailer attitude so it favors antifreeze entering the fresh water tank outlet that feeds the pump you will need less antifreeze. That is, if the outlet is toward the front of the trailer, lower the tongue. Raz
Old 11-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But why a fresh tank? Something does not add up?
Nope it didnt but where there is a fresh water tank there has to be a pump of one kind or another which is why I made the assumption there was one
Old 11-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #7

Tennessee
So when you all say 'pump' you mean the manual faucet pump as opposed to an electric one? And Raz, I'll need to make sure I can pump antifreeze through it from the freshwater tank?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
yes…. to your questions
Old 11-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #9

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Here is my winterization of my 1300Trillium outdoor: 1/ Jack up the frame and let both wheels above ground with total 6 stands, leave axle free of weight 2/ Open the door, take all mattresses, foam to keep inside the house 3/ Open all cabinet doors, drain the water tank, unplug both ends of water pump, leave faucet drain pipe with open cap, 4/ Grease all door hinges and else 5/ Cover whole camper with tarp from.." head-to-toe ". With my diy winter-proof frame, snow pile up on roof would be no problem. When necessary, I could sneak inside, plug and run an electric heater with roof vent opened and sucking fan at work, mildew, humidity will be vented out. Just share with you....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG170.jpg   IMG209.jpg  

IMG210.jpg   IMG211.jpg  

Old 11-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #10

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I'm at 7,000 ft and it gets COLD here. I have a 16' scamp with no electric pump. If you turn the handpump handle all the way up, it will drain the water from the line back to the tank. All I do is drain the tank completely and put a little antifreeze in the drain trap. On your city connection, take the cap off where the hose connects and open the inside valve-the water will drain out. Because of possible heavy snows, I try to keep the trailer in the carport. If it's in the open, I do have to clear the snow off of it if it gets more than 6" deep.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #11

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScamperGirl View Post
Hello everyone! I've read a lot of winterizing threads and they all provide very good information about running RV antifreeze through the pump and pipes. My question is: how necessary is this for a Scamp 13 without a water pump? I purchased my trailer in July and sanitized the fresh water tank shortly after purchase but haven't used the tank since. Do I need to run antifreeze through it? I do plan to pour some down the drain for the gray water tank but my city water connector is only a short blue hose under the sink. I'm not even sure how I would put antifreeze in there without disconnecting the tube. Is it necessary?
Thanks!
I have the same water system you have. I wouldn't put that pink stuff in if I was you, and I don't.
Here's what I've done. I keep the fresh water tank mostly full, (80% to 90%) It takes a whole lot of cold to freeze that much water.
Second think I do is put an electric heater inside and keep the inside of the trailer at about 40° to 45°F. The water lines are all inside, actually the only water line. The drain to either the outside or a gray water tank is inside.
The heater keeps the inside above freezing (remember it takes several days of well below freezing to do any damage even without the heater.)

Since the water tank is full and NO pink crap the trailer is ready to go anytime. You get a week-end of nice weather in January, you can take off without worrying about water or pink crap.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
Byron that probable works well for you in your location and looking at the Op's it probable would as well, but unfortunately for those of us who are known to face a couple of weeks or more temps at 15 degrees and often way more below freezing at a time (add a little wind into it and its a lot colder) some might suggest the power wasted running the heater isnt really being very power wise. ;-) Dealing with the pink stuff is just a fact of life most of us have had to face using most of our lives in our northern summer cottage etc. Having to give the water tank a quick rinse out hasnt ever stopped me from hooking up the trailer and taking off on a nice winter week-end. But I dont drink the water from the tank anyways.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #13

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Byron that probable works well for you in your location and looking at the Op's it probable would as well, but unfortunately for those of us who are known to face a couple of weeks or more temps at 15 degrees and often way more below freezing at a time (add a little wind into it and its a lot colder) some might suggest the power wasted running the heater isnt really being very power wise. ;-) Dealing with the pink stuff is just a fact of life most of us have had to face using most of our lives in our northern summer cottage etc. Having to give the water tank a quick rinse out hasnt ever stopped me from hooking up the trailer and taking off on a nice winter week-end. But I dont drink the water from the tank anyways.
Since I like to get any time of year it'd still be worth the small amount it costs to heat my Scamp. If I didn't want to heat it I would simply drain the water tank, make sure I had the one and only water line drained. For many many years that's how RVs, mountain cabins, etc. were winterized. Then somebody came up the the pink stuff and convinced everybody to buy it. I would NOT ever use that nasty pink stuff.

FYI. I had also taken into account where the OP indicated she was located into consideration along with her description of her trailer, which is very much like mine.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #14

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I would NOT ever use that nasty pink stuff.
Any chance you can provide evidence that RV antifreeze ( the stuff that is approved for use in RV water systems ) is "nasty"??
Not web anecdotes. Evidence.

baglo