For Sale: 2019 Happier Camper HC1 HC1 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #41

Name: Rae
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGlen View Post
Thanks, Mikmay for calming down and apologizing. Your earlier rants caused me to question if I could ever do business with you due to your volatility.
I absolutely agree. Customer service is super important to me and how mikmay presents himself on this forum is not flattering nor does it build consumer confidence.

I have friends seriously considering HC. I will let them know how extremely unprofessional this company represents itself.

Argumentative and combative usually have something to hide...
Old 03-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
While I don't see the value in the Happier Camper and certainly would not place a $10000 deposit to have any trailer built...
I do see the value in folks like Mikmay who is guilty of nothing but loyalty to a fine product which he believes in.

I beseech him to stay and continue to extoll the virtues of his trailer which, while no bargain, is versatile and appealing to a large audience.

If I were running Happier Camper I would GTHO of California and move production to a state which values business instead of exploiting it. Then the price could be reduced, profits improved, and Campers could be even Happier!
Of course I wouldn't run a hotdog stand in California or even darken its border with my presence until a modicum of sanity returns to that beautiful place.

Mikmay;
Please hang around and chat with us... even if I am sometimes the principle burr under your saddle!
Old 03-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4r4ZwfvcGXNtWe

Thanks mods
Old 03-24-2019, 05:48 AM   #44
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGlen View Post
Thanks, Mikmay for calming down and apologizing. Your earlier rants caused me to question if I could ever do business with you due to your volatility.
I would also like to retract my apology as your response has only continued to inflame others and may have been your intent anyways .
Old 03-24-2019, 06:02 AM   #45
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
While I might question why a product that is so stated to be so popular requires such a high deposit as "insurance" against walkaways, ultimately a manufacturer is free to require whatever deposit they can secure from a prospective buyer.

It would seem that under this sort of demand, the only substantial risks would be with those units which are so uniquely customized, perhaps for a commercial client, that they might need to be sold at a substantially reduced price.

Attachment 128408

All in all, making such a significant deposit is not something I would be likely to do. But, there's plenty of individuals and companies that seem to do very well without my patronage. So, the last laugh is on me I guess.

Attachment 128409
Mike love your slogan can I borrow it or buy it from you ,it may help me with the grammar police
Old 03-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #46
Commercial Member

Ontario
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
While I don't see the value in the Happier Camper and certainly would not place a $10000 deposit to have any trailer built...
I do see the value in folks like Mikmay who is guilty of nothing but loyalty to a fine product which he believes in.

I beseech him to stay and continue to extoll the virtues of his trailer which, while no bargain, is versatile and appealing to a large audience.

If I were running Happier Camper I would GTHO of California and move production to a state which values business instead of exploiting it. Then the price could be reduced, profits improved, and Campers could be even Happier!
Of course I wouldn't run a hotdog stand in California or even darken its border with my presence until a modicum of sanity returns to that beautiful place.

Mikmay;
Please hang around and chat with us... even if I am sometimes the principle burr under your saddle!
Yes Floyd The HC1 is expensive but not just because it’s built in California .Ca offers us a lot of advantages also not available anywhere else.
As I have stated before on this original thread three years ago the HC1 is built with two full shells that is double the amount you have on your scamp and adds significantly to the cost It also has a full 1 inch fg floor engineered to fit the cubes ,not a simple sheet of fg covered Osb.
It also has a rear opening hatch which requires special stabilizers,seals,handles and other items which add significantly to the cost
One thing we have in common with the scamp and which most other manufactures don’t use is the aircraft style entrance door but the similarities end with the look, ours have been engineered to hold there shape ,to have storage and to have the porthole window with built in blind which I can assure you is not cheap
All HC1s also come with adjustable axles which allow us different heights for different tire sizes and all have folding tongues which also add significantly to the cost.
All these features and more I have not mentioned are standard on the HC1 and I can assure you if scamp were to add these to there trailers it would add significantly to there cost.
Sorry Floyd though for this one ,no matter how much you pay for the HC1 we still will not give you rivets.
5 years ago when we originally put the plan together to build a trailer we had anticipated building a trailer similar to the scamp and other trailers here of comparible size but as everyone thinks they can we were going to make it much cheaper ,but to do that we would just end up with another another version of a scamp or similar trailer. park!liner tried that ,eggcamper tried that and to some extent LS tried that as well as others . To compete with the big three here in the fg world and building a similar trailer to them would just be difficult .
This is why we have decided to build a trailer radacly different from most trailers here and why most here who have not seen one in person simply don’t understand.
On top of some of the standard feature I’ve mentioned HC also offers a large amount of custom features not available on most of the big three We sell about 25% of our trailers to commercial customers including personalized color choices , window options, frame height and tire size options ,bar options including single bar or surrounding bar all which need different types of support , custom interiors always done in sunbrella material as our cushions need to be used inside and out side the trailer ( try putting your cusions outside in the sun for a couple hours and see how they last)
All these options and more are also available to anyone else and is why we need a significant deposit.Yes we could just resell a trailer to someone else maybe at a loss or maybe for even more as we have the demand and who here wouldn’t want to buy a Samuall Addams trailer with a surrounding Bar , all stainless steel counters beer keg and taps inside and out side and a big screen tv that pops up when you open the rear door I know I would.
I’m sure Samuall Addams would be good for the money but they put a deposit just like everyone else and it would not be fair to others to treat them differently.
As I’ve stated before anyone purchasing a trailer is free to buy any trailer they want but I’m sure they will have to buy on the company terms they are dealing with
Hopefully in the near future we will be able to adjust this and employ some of the sudjestions stated here.
Floyd I’d also like to invite you to our Canadian showroom just a short distance from Detroit if your ever in the area for a delicious espresso or Latte or any one else here and I promise I won’t try to convert you to the HC1 lifestyle
Old 03-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #47

Registry
I have seen a couple of Happier Campers and followed their progress on the fiberglass market. I think it is adorable.
I have owned and rehabbed about thirty fiberglass trailers of all makes and appreciate that there is a market for every one.

I don't personally like "double walled" designs, especially "vacuum molded" trailers.
Mine is constructed with screws not rivets, but rivets have a proven track record as does solid single hull molded fiberglass.
After owning my present Scamp13D for 15 years, it has proven its obvious design advantages, build quality, and value. So much so that I honestly would not trade it today for your best effort.

You build a nice product which would sell on its own merits.
Scamp does as well, and will soon have 50 years of success to prove it.

I have parked next to virtually every fiberglass trailer ever made,including Happier Camper and have always taken my Scamp home without the slightest touch of envy or regret.

As you say the buyer is subject to the terms of the seller, but the converse is ultimately the final truth.
It still takes two to tango too!

Still, I welcome Happier Camper to the fiberglass family of fine Campers and I hope that we will not soon see it relegated to the dustbin of history like so many over the last 50 years (maybe one per year on average) each loss regretted by someone.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Mike love your slogan can I borrow it or buy it from you ,it may help me with the grammar police
Mike,

I shamelessly copy different signature lines that I see and enjoy. I found this one recently on the bike forum. You're certainly welcome to adopt it at no extra charge.

Or, for those possessed of more discriminating taste, I can introduce you to my "premium" series signature lines for just a little bit more. EZ monthly lease terms are available...

Old 03-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #49
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Mike,

I shamelessly copy different signature lines that I see and enjoy. I found this one recently on the bike forum. You're certainly welcome to adopt it at no extra charge.

Or, for those possessed of more discriminating taste, I can introduce you to my "premium" series signature lines for just a little bit more. EZ monthly lease terms are available...
Thanks Mike will you take a check or is it cheque
Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Mike will you take a check or is it cheque
Doesn't matter, just let me know when it's in the mail!

Old 03-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have seen a couple of Happier Campers and followed their progress on the fiberglass market. I think it is adorable.
I have owned and rehabbed about thirty fiberglass trailers of all makes and appreciate that there is a market for every one.

I don't personally like "double walled" designs, especially "vacuum molded" trailers.
Mine is constructed with screws not rivets, but rivets have a proven track record as does solid single hull molded fiberglass.
After owning my present Scamp13D for 15 years, it has proven its obvious design advantages, build quality, and value. So much so that I honestly would not trade it today for your best effort.

You build a nice product which would sell on its own merits.
Scamp does as well, and will soon have 50 years of success to prove it.

I have parked next to virtually every fiberglass trailer ever made,including Happier Camper and have always taken my Scamp home without the slightest touch of envy or regret.

As you say the buyer is subject to the terms of the seller, but the converse is ultimately the final truth.
It still takes two to tango too!

Still, I welcome Happier Camper to the fiberglass family of fine Campers and I hope that we will not soon see it relegated to the dustbin of history like so many over the last 50 years (maybe one per year on average) each loss regretted by someone.
Floyd you are right to be proud of your scamp which in reality is a clone of the boler and many other trailers on this forum it is a highly desirable design and is also the design we mostt tried to emulate .but it also has its drawbacks some of which are argued here in countless threads but I’m not going to comment on them as I would like them to remain just the way they are.
Unlike stick built trailers which can employ a variety of different interior finishes thin wall fg really has a limited choice some find carpet or ensoliite warm and comfortable and some find it hard to clean and maintain as it degrades over time .some also find fg finished interior a little sterile and with less character so what you don’t like there’s probably at least a50% chance someone will.
Also the HC1 s fg is not vacume formed ,it is done old school and until there is a better process it will remain that way.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #52

Registry
Quote:
Floyd you are right to be proud of your scamp which in reality is a clone of the boler and many other trailers on this forum it is a highly desirable design and is also the design we mostt tried to emulate .but it also has its drawbacks some of which are argued here in countless threads but I’m not going to comment on them as I would like them to remain just the way they are.
Unlike stick built trailers which can employ a variety of different interior finishes thin wall fg really has a limited choice some find carpet or ensoliite warm and comfortable and some find it hard to clean and maintain as it degrades over time .some also find fg finished interior a little sterile and with less character so what you don’t like there’s probably at least a50% chance someone will.
Also the HC1 s fg is not vacume formed ,it is done old school and until there is a better process it will remain that way.

Just two points of clarity...

Scamp uses neither carpet nor Ensolite (which it discontinued more than 30 years ago) the Marine grade fabric over Reflectix used on the Scamps has shown to be both durable and easily cleaned, mine shows no signs of deterioration nor have I seen such on other trailers, but they have only been using it for a bit over 3 decades... so time will tell.

"Vacuum molded" was referring to the process used by LiL Snoozy... (vacuum bag resin transfer molding process) a sort of ersatz "double wall" construction.
I said nothing about "vacuum formed".
Old 03-25-2019, 05:50 AM   #53

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
H
Yes Floyd The HC1 is expensive but not just because it’s built in California .Ca offers us a lot of advantages also not available anywhere else.
As I have stated before on this original thread three years ago the HC1 is built with two full shells that is double the amount you have on your scamp and adds significantly to the cost It also has a full 1 inch fg floor engineered to fit the cubes ,not a simple sheet of fg covered Osb.
It also has a rear opening hatch which requires special stabilizers,seals,handles and other items which add significantly to the cost
One thing we have in common with the scamp and which most other manufactures don’t use is the aircraft style entrance door but the similarities end with the look, ours have been engineered to hold there shape ,to have storage and to have the porthole window with built in blind which I can assure you is not cheap
All HC1s also come with adjustable axles which allow us different heights for different tire sizes and all have folding tongues which also add significantly to the cost.
All these features and more I have not mentioned are standard on the HC1 and I can assure you if scamp were to add these to there trailers it would add significantly to there cost.
Sorry Floyd though for this one ,no matter how much you pay for the HC1 we still will not give you rivets.
5 years ago when we originally put the plan together to build a trailer we had anticipated building a trailer similar to the scamp and other trailers here of comparible size but as everyone thinks they can we were going to make it much cheaper ,but to do that we would just end up with another another version of a scamp or similar trailer. park!liner tried that ,eggcamper tried that and to some extent LS tried that as well as others . To compete with the big three here in the fg world and building a similar trailer to them would just be difficult .
This is why we have decided to build a trailer radacly different from most trailers here and why most here who have not seen one in person simply don’t understand.
On top of some of the standard feature I’ve mentioned HC also offers a large amount of custom features not available on most of the big three We sell about 25% of our trailers to commercial customers including personalized color choices , window options, frame height and tire size options ,bar options including single bar or surrounding bar all which need different types of support , custom interiors always done in sunbrella material as our cushions need to be used inside and out side the trailer ( try putting your cusions outside in the sun for a couple hours and see how they last)
All these options and more are also available to anyone else and is why we need a significant deposit.Yes we could just resell a trailer to someone else maybe at a loss or maybe for even more as we have the demand and who here wouldn’t want to buy a Samuall Addams trailer with a surrounding Bar , all stainless steel counters beer keg and taps inside and out side and a big screen tv that pops up when you open the rear door I know I would.
I’m sure Samuall Addams would be good for the money but they put a deposit just like everyone else and it would not be fair to others to treat them differently.
As I’ve stated before anyone purchasing a trailer is free to buy any trailer they want but I’m sure they will have to buy on the company terms they are dealing with
Hopefully in the near future we will be able to adjust this and employ some of the sudjestions stated here.
Floyd I’d also like to invite you to our Canadian showroom just a short distance from Detroit if your ever in the area for a delicious espresso or Latte or any one else here and I promise I won’t try to convert you to the HC1 lifestyle
Jeez...I didn't expect this to become the drama that I'm seeing. If there is a chance that the deposit requirements will change "in the near future", please message me as I would still be interested. I do love the trailer.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #54
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Jeez...I didn't expect this to become the drama that I'm seeing. If there is a chance that the deposit requirements will change "in the near future", please message me as I would still be interested. I do love the trailer.
Diane I have been in contact with the sales office in LA and we are trying to come up with a plan that can help LS customers who have lost their deposits and also be fair to our customers waiting for their trailers. I will pm you with that info as soon as I can
Thanks
Old 03-26-2019, 04:11 PM   #55
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Time Frame

Mike - What is your current time frame from the deposit to actual delivery of the camper?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Mike - What is your current time frame from the deposit to actual delivery of the camper?
Jan while I can not tell you the lead time as of now as it veries from day to day ( you would have to contact Happier Camper sales for that information) I can tell you we are working extremely hard to shorten it
As most here know fg trailers can not be mass produced very easily,the only real way to increase production is to increase your molds.this takes time and money as building a new set of molds is very expensive.Unlike some of the other fg manufacturers here which may have as few as 5or 6 molds the HC1 has over 15 not including the rotomolded parts.The hardest part is trying to duplicate the molds while remaining in production Due to the demand for The HC1 we have had no choice but to find a way to achieve this. In the next few months I hope to be able to post more on this but as of now it is something I can not discuss.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:36 AM   #57

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
I’ve been enamored of the HC1’s since they came out. I’ve camped near a couple and seen them up close and personal. Cute. Innovative. Versatile. Well-made.

I place high value on things that are well designed and well built. I will spend more money on a more expensive widget if it will perform better or last longer than a cheap widget. I value quality.

Just as important to me is customer service. I will pay more to do business with a company that has excellent customer support and service. I avoid companies that do not have good customer service, even if they make a superior product. If a company does not take care of their customers, or does not fully stand behind their product, I will not have anything to do with them.

Mikmay, your behavior on this forum as a representative of Happier Camper, in this thread and others, would keep me from doing business with you.

Caveat emptor.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:50 AM   #58
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I’ve been enamored of the HC1’s since they came out. I’ve camped near a couple and seen them up close and personal. Cute. Innovative. Versatile. Well-made.

I place high value on things that are well designed and well built. I will spend more money on a more expensive widget if it will perform better or last longer than a cheap widget. I value quality.

Just as important to me is customer service. I will pay more to do business with a company that has excellent customer support and service. I avoid companies that do not have good customer service, even if they make a superior product. If a company does not take care of their customers, or does not fully stand behind their product, I will not have anything to do with them.

Mikmay, your behavior on this forum as a representative of Happier Camper, in this thread and others, would keep me from doing business with you.

Caveat emptor.
Scott I think you are mixing up company service with company defense . C ompany service starts the moment you walk in to a hc sales office or contact hc in some other form. It continues through the purchasing process and delivery or pickup it then continues through the warranty period and beyond If you want to talk about service you really should talk to an owner of an HC1 .while we are not perfect and you can not please everyone I think you will find that our customers are overwhelmingly satisfied with our service.
Company defense however occurs when someone makes false or derogatory claims on a product or service they have not witnessed. Since HCs original introduction posting on this forum 3 years ago there have been many negative and disparaging remarks ,many that many don’t see as they have been removed by the moderators . Many owners of the HC1 also see and feel these negative remarks and is why you won’t hear many on this forum as they don’t feel welcomed here as if they have a SOB trailer.
I’m sorry you do not get why I have sometimes been combative in the defense of HC but the only other response I could give is no response.
I’d also like to say their have been many on here who have been positive
and open minded with great input even in disagreement on HC policies.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #59

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post

Caveat emptor.
I agree 100%!
Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #60

Florida
Quote:
Scott I think you are mixing up company service with company defense . C ompany service starts the moment you walk in to a hc sales office or contact hc in some other form. It continues through the purchasing process and delivery or pickup it then continues through the warranty period and beyond If you want to talk about service you really should talk to an owner of an HC1 .while we are not perfect and you can not please everyone I think you will find that our costumers are overwhelmingly satisfied with our service.

Company defense however occurs when someone makes false or derogatory claims on a product or service they have not witnessed. Since HCs original introduction posting on this forum 3 years ago there have been many negative and disparaging remarks ,many that many don’t see as they have been removed by the moderators . Many owners of the HC1 also see and feel these negative remarks and is why you won’t hear many on this forum as they don’t feel welcomed here as if they have a SOB trailer.

I’m sorry you do not get why I have sometimes been combative in the defense of HC but the only other response I could give is no response.

I’d also like to say their have been many on here who have been positive

and open minded with great input even in disagreement on HC policies.
Combative behavior signals irresponsibly.

Combative people are usually not able to see another person's perspective.

Combative people tend to think they are always right.

You can argue your point in a combative way all you want. It just solidifies my opinion.

I do not wish to do business with combative people.
Closed Thread