For Sale: 2019 Happier Camper HC1 HC1 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Derek
Trailer: Boler
California
2019 Happier Camper HC1 HC1

Its been a few years now that my father Mike and I have began working on our first production trailer, lovingly named the "". The unique trailer features some some classic egg design inspirations, but is packed with modem functionality. Through our rental business we spent many years reconditioning the vintage fiberglass trailers and took note of the features we felt made the trailers great. We took the the best parts of these trailers and added a few new ones and came up with the distinct design of the new HC1

Among the inherent quality features of a fiberglass ultralight travel trailer we feel the readers here will love our "" modular interior system, designed to easily allow you to reconfigure the interior of the trailer to 100s of layouts to suit your every need. Our huge rear hatch door, adding extra space out the back and allowing you to use the trailer in many different ways. Our vintage inspired wheel fenders, not only designed for style, but also adds up to a extra foot of bed length, widens the interior floor space and makes for extra stability and aerodynamics on the road.

Below are photos of our first prototype, and were happy to share them with the Fiberglass RV community first. Please understand we are still in the production process and some features will be added or changed in the coming weeks. We look for your comments and suggestions to help make our forthcoming production version a great trailer that families can love for generations.

View this ad at Fiberglass Classifieds - 2019 Happier Camper HC1 HC1

Old 03-04-2019, 10:41 PM   #2

Name: Warren
Trailer: In the market!
California
HC1

Does this mean that the prototype is for sale?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
No not for sale, prototype is in our amherstburg ont can showroom and will never be sold ,this is an old post and was not reposted by him not sure how it was posted but maybe moderators can explain. Since it is up I will use it to tell the fg comunity that derek will be making an announcement in the coming days on our 2 newest products which we had on display at the Palm Springs vintage trailer show. With all the bad news lately in the fg industry we hope this will be an exciting change.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #4

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
No not for sale, prototype is in our amherstburg ont can showroom and will never be sold ,this is an old post and was not reposted by him not sure how it was posted but maybe moderators can explain. Since it is up I will use it to tell the fg comunity that derek will be making an announcement in the coming days on our 2 newest products which we had on display at the Palm Springs vintage trailer show. With all the bad news lately in the fg industry we hope this will be an exciting change.
I'm caught up in one of the bad news scenarios. Placed an order on a Lil Snoozy and lost my $10k deposit. I was hoping to buy the HC1 but that came to a screeching halt when I was told you also require a large deposit. Never will I make that mistake again. Is it possible for you to change that demand?
Old 03-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
According to the HC website prices start at $25k and a 50% deposit is required to order. The potential for loss is even great than the unfortunate Snoozy situation. Perhaps HC will realize that wary consumers won't any longer risk a huge deposit and will re-consider their policy.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
According to the HC website prices start at $25k and a 50% deposit is required to order. The potential for loss is even great than the unfortunate Snoozy situation. Perhaps HC will realize that wary consumers won't any longer risk a huge deposit and will re-consider their policy.
Maybe you should check your facts before making such a blanket unimformative statement statements like yours can be very harmful to a company doing there very best to bring a fresh and innovative product to th fg market.Unlike LS Happier Camper does not take deposits to fund future builds but because the HC1 is highly customizable and personalized including different color choices,expensive sunbrella interiors,different axle heights as well as many other options.It is needed to prevent walk aways.Happier Camper is a well funded company that does not depend on deposits for future builds.please check out our plant in LA and our build process or talk with one of our happier campers if you would like more information
Old 03-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Mikmay. Suggest you rewrite your defence. Include some facts. And, spell Axel properly. It's Axle.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Mikmay. Suggest you rewrite your defence. Include some facts. And, spell Axel properly. It's Axle.
Exactly why I was editing the post while you were typing yours
Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #9

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
You could always contact the finance department and request last year's financial statements if you don't believe him. Blow this whole scheme open!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
I'm caught up in one of the bad news scenarios. Placed an order on a Lil Snoozy and lost my $10k deposit. I was hoping to buy the HC1 but that came to a screeching halt when I was told you also require a large deposit. Never will I make that mistake again. Is it possible for you to change that demand?
Hello Diane very sorry about yours and others situation with LS This has put a stain on fg manafactuers and other trailer manufacturers as well and especially new company’s like Happier Camper trying to bring a fresh and innovative product to market.
I have personally been in a LS and thought it was a great trailer with great functionality.
Because the HC1 is not a typical cookie cutter trailer and it is usually heavy personalized it does require a significant deposit and no the deposit does not support the trailer before it
If you had visited our plant in LA or talked with some of our very Happier campers I think you may have seen that.what really sets us apart from some of the other manuafactuers is our commitment to improve our quality ,our commitment to innovate, our commitment to improve productivity and especially our commitment to improve communication with our customers.
While yes I would like to say to you that because of your circumstances with LS we could wave your deposit it would not be fair to the customer before you or after you.
I know that what you have experienced has been truly crushing and nothing I say may help but if you get a chance to visit our plant in LA or one of our showrooms maybe some way we can help.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
You could always contact the finance department and request last year's financial statements if you don't believe him. Blow this whole scheme open!
If you can still order a new $60,000 truck with only $500 down, you should be able to order a small utility trailer with no more than that.
You can still order a new deluxe 5er from Scamp with $500 down and they will usually refund your deposit if you cancel.
BTW; you would have to buy a Scamp19D to spend as much as a Happier Utility trailer.
NO way I would put $10,000 down to order any RV, not even a large motorhome.
A non-refundable 10% should be plenty, even if a company expects walkaways,
That way they could offer a discount to a subsequent buyer to accept an unpopular color scheme.
They are cute enough and tasteful enough to sell even if finished.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Because the HC1 is not a typical cookie cutter trailer and it is usually heavy personalized it does require a significant deposit

Other than the gelcoat colour choice, what sets it apart from any of the other manufacturers?

Escape allows the buyer to choose their own personalized fabric, Formica and flooring. There are a multitude of options available.

Escape requires a $2,000 deposit on a trailer.
And you don't have to assemble it when you stop to camp.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:13 PM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Maybe you should check your facts before making such a blanket unimformative statement statements like yours can be very harmful to a company doing there very best to bring a fresh and innovative product to th fg market.Unlike LS Happier Camper does not take deposits to fund future builds but because the HC1 is highly customizable and personalized including different color choices,expensive sunbrella interiors,different axle heights as well as many other options.It is needed to prevent walk aways.
If you don't have it yet, I would create some legal escrow account situation, where buyer and seller are protected. Since you don't need the cash to operate, such an escrow gives you a strong commitment without the possibility of funds disappearing.

The hefty deposit model has been basically blown up by Lil Snoozy.

Words really aren't enough, at least for me.

LS has provided a vivid example of what can happen to a large deposit if it is not legally protected. Its an expensive lesson to many buyers.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Ontario
It seems the same group of naysayers of Senior Members have nothing better to do but try to denigrate a trailer they have not seen or simply not understand ,of course escape makes a great trailer and would be perfect for many here ,scamp also has a historic past and is a great choice for many These might be the only trailers some have owned lm not going to try to sell anyone here on the HC1 as there is really no need as we can sell all we can make .this post was not even started by me or Hc . Happier camper has sold over 300 campers in its first 2 years of production with over 225 on the road right now and with soon to be 4 fold in production in the next few months we are poised to be one of the biggest little fg trailer manufacturers around not bad for as some call a utility trailer but you won’t hear it called that by the happier campers who own one. There names are a lot more personal like Chico,or bean , or wanderlust or what ever they decide to call them. I have owned most of the popular fg trailers here as well as some stick built and the HC1 is really a melding of what we think are the best parts of those and you can see a little part of them in every trailer ,that is what makes it unique ,different and the same.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post

You are missing the point Mikmay. With the fall of Lil Snoozy and loss of thousands of dollars by people to put their faith in the company, asking a 50% deposit on a $25,000 trailer is too risky for most.
Nobody was discussing the HC camper itself, but that was your defence. You need to speak to the huge deposit required.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:04 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Ontario
Quote:
You are missing the point Mikmay. With the fall of Lil Snoozy and loss of thousands of dollars by people to put their faith in the company, asking a 50% deposit on a $25,000 trailer is too risky for most.
Nobody was discussing the HC camper itself, but that was your defence. You need to speak to the huge deposit required.
No I don’t ! That is a business dissision we have made and if somebody wants an HC1 then whatever deposit required is what is required. We do not force someone to buy a HC1 they are free to buy any trailer they wish. HC1 customers are not dumb and have the means and the information to purchase any trailer they wish and most after seeing a HC1 want nothing else.
A couple weeks ago while I was in the LA office a lady came in the office and wanted a HC1 as fast as she could ,she brought in a briefcase with $40.000 cash hopping she could Ahead of the queue to which we replied no she would have to wait the same as everyone else.
If escape or scamp or any other trailer manufacturers offered their customers a choice of color,axle height ,wheels and tires,choice of windows and exterior bar,choice of expensive sunbrella interior just some of the options not available on other brands I’m sure they would require a substantial deposit.
Happier Camper is here for the long haul as we along with our customers have to much invested in anything but being successful
Old 03-20-2019, 06:07 AM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Amen. I made no comment about the design, quality, or value of the HC camper. But if any trailer manufacturer wants 50% up front, then I recommend they establish a legal escrow system to protect the funds.

You (Mikman), stated that the only purpose of the large deposit was to ensure the buyer completed the transaction, because of the highly customized nature of your trailer, and not for operating funds, what's the problem with that?
Old 03-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Maybe you should check your facts before making such a blanket unimformative statement statements like yours can be very harmful to a company doing there very best to bring a fresh and innovative product to th fg market.
Mikmay:
I don't find anything not factual in my post which simply quotes the HC website as to their required deposit, compares it to the reported $10k deposit that LS was requiring and reflects on buyers' natural wariness about the risk of a large deposit.

I have no interest in harming any company trying to launch a new FGRV product - quite the contrary. As a potential consumer of a new FGRV, my pointing out the potential risk and concern of a very large deposit seems to me to be helpful marketing data for a manufacturer, not information to be rejected as “harmful”. The reasons for a large deposit may make legitimate sense for the business. Customers however know nothing about the manufacturer’s cash flow and capitalization so the risk for significant loss is real and will be a consideration in the purchase decision. HC and others are of course free to require whatever they choose but in the end, the market will judge their strategies. I do hope that there is a niche for a quality and customizable FG and that HC finds the right strategy to succeed.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #19

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
No I don’t ! That is a business dissision we have made and if somebody wants an HC1 then whatever deposit required is what is required. We do not force someone to buy a HC1 they are free to buy any trailer they wish. HC1 customers are not dumb and have the means and the information to purchase any trailer they wish and most after seeing a HC1 want nothing else.
A couple weeks ago while I was in the LA office a lady came in the office and wanted a HC1 as fast as she could ,she brought in a briefcase with $40.000 cash hopping she could Ahead of the queue to which we replied no she would have to wait the same as everyone else.
If escape or scamp or any other trailer manufacturers offered their customers a choice of color,axle height ,wheels and tires,choice of windows and exterior bar,choice of expensive sunbrella interior just some of the options not available on other brands I’m sure they would require a substantial deposit.
Happier Camper is here for the long haul as we along with our customers have to much invested in anything but being successful
I did not post to disparage the merits of this little trailer. I love it and love the concept. It was a strong contender for my purchase. After my initial shock over the bankruptcy, I immediately thought about the HC1. My $30k budget has now been reduced by $10k and the naked HC1 was my choice. I'm glad you've explained how your deposit is used. After speaking with your sales person, I wasn't able to get a good explanation. I'm still uncomfortable placing a large deposit down but, perhaps, I'll get over it...maybe not! I'll look forward to seeing your new introductions. I've been waiting forever for the new HCT and hope this is one of your future trailers.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m honestly not seeing many similarities between the LS and HC1, other than the large deposit. Seems an unusual pair to cross-shop.
Closed Thread