Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Scamp or Boler? (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/scamp-or-boler-35529.html)

April Wilcox 10-26-2008 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know if any one can help me out with this one... After we searched over the entire camper, we have not been able to find any kind of vin # to help us identify the make of our camper. I have been looking through pictures, and even though we were told it is a Scamp, it just looks so much like the Boler. Does anyone know of some other way we can figure out which one we have?

Booker B. 10-26-2008 12:53 PM

Hi April,

Perhaps on the frame there is a serial number that can help you? I have seen very few painted Scamps on this forum so I have always thought you might have a Boler and not a Scamp.

Donna D. 10-26-2008 01:30 PM

April, Scamp stamps the frame on the door side, just about right across from where the propane tank is mounted. Hold a flashlight at an angle and you may see the stamping under layers of paint. Or, try a rubbing.

Didn't you get a title? Once you find the VIN, see Dan's and Dawn's site for Scamp VIN Decoding. The VIN decoding button is at the bottom of the left nav bar. They've also posted a picture of the VIN label Scamp has been known to glue on the frame. My 1988 has both the label and stamped VIN.

Pssst. You don't have a camper, you have a trailer. A camper goes on the back of a truck. :wink

Glenn Baglo 10-26-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Didn't you get a title? Once you find the VIN, see Dan's and Dawn's site for Scamp VIN Decoding.
I don't get it. How do you get a licence plate for this trailer or insurance without the VIN and a title?

baglo

Booker B. 10-26-2008 04:25 PM

Glenn, I don't think US States have quite the lock down on licensing/insurance ICBC has on us. I see many references to trailers without any papers on this forum.

Dan R 10-26-2008 04:41 PM

When I salvaged my "free" scamp, the brain of the DMV adhered a brand new VIN after we couldn't find one. Because it has no engine, they aren't as picky as long as you fork over some cash.
A distinction between Boler and Scamp are the tail lights. Aren't Boler recessed with the fiberglass molded around them and the Scamp's are on the surface? -Dan

April Wilcox 10-26-2008 06:01 PM

When we took in our Title to get the trailer registered in TX, they kept it, and issued us only a licence plate w/tags that expire each year. I asked about the title getting switched and they told me TX doesn't require a title for trailers under 4500lbs so we simply don't have to have it. I didn't like leaving the DMV without another title in my hands, but what could I do? They kept it to send in with the paper work we filled out for registration. As I mentioned before, I can't find any kind of number on the body of the trailer. The Florida title that we had before we registered it in TX did have an identification number printed on it, but we couldn't find anything to compare it to on the trailer itself. I can look up the number that was printed on the title we had, but I can't say for sure it will be the original vin number.

Donna D. 10-26-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

When we took in our Title to get the trailer registered in TX, they kept it, and issued us only a licence plate w/tags that expire each year.
:omy There is NO WAY I would have left without getting a title back. Oregon requires titles for trailers. You're moving to Oregon (eventually) right? What are you going to do, if you decide to sell the trailer in Oregon?????

April Wilcox 10-26-2008 06:18 PM

That's how I felt too, but if it is registered in TX, I imagine a person can apply for another title in the state that requires it as long as there is some kind of registration for the trailer to go by. I could be wrong about that, but we don't plan to sell it any time soon. I didn't think it was right to send us away without any kind of title in hand, but what good would the old Florida title be if they wouldn't issue us a transfer title to put it in our name?

Rarebird 10-26-2008 06:20 PM

Hi,
I'm not an expert here, but just wondering.....
In my '76 Scamp you stepped down when you entered, in my '78 Boler the floor is all flat, one level (except under the table). Can this distinguish a Boler from a Scamp?
By the way, I love the flat floor in the Boler, as I can slide the porta-potty out from under the front couch (goucho), and it feels larger.
Marjie

April Wilcox 10-26-2008 06:22 PM

we also have a flat floor... except for the dinette area, and the potti fits under the front bunk, just barely.

Al Nelson 10-26-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

I don't know if any one can help me out with this one... After we searched over the entire camper, we have not been able to find any kind of vin # to help us identify the make of our camper. I have been looking through pictures, and even though we were told it is a Scamp, it just looks so much like the Boler. Does anyone know of some other way we can figure out which one we have?
I'm no expert on Scamps but one thing I see on your trailer that I have never seen on a boler is that door latch. Every boler I have ever seen has a horizontal, flush Bargman latch.
Al

April Wilcox 10-27-2008 08:28 AM

They are small differences, but I am starting to see them. It probably is a Scamp... now that I take a closer look at the Boler photos, inset lights, door handle, not to mention there is not any kind of Boler logo imprint to be found, that I see on other models. They are very similar visually, and I am glad to have it no matter which brand it is. I am glad it resembles the Boler, I just liked that camper style more for some reason... so I guess I have a Scamp that looks kinda like a Boler... good enough for me :jester

BTW, it said SCAP on the original title...
4 letter limit I suppose.

Loren G. Hedahl 10-27-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

They are small differences, but I am starting to see them. It probably is a Scamp... now that I take a closer look at the Boler photos, inset lights, door handle, not to mention there is not any kind of Boler logo imprint to be found, that I see on other models. They are very similar visually, and I am glad to have it no matter which brand it is. I am glad it resembles the Boler, I just liked that camper style more for some reason... so I guess I have a Scamp that looks kinda like a Boler... good enough for me :jester

BTW, it said SCAP on the original title...
4 letter limit I suppose.

Guess if there was a four letter limit, I'd rather it said SCAP than SCAM! :>)

Some years ago I bought an Avion trailer with Texas license and no title. It was no problem, I just had to purchase a ten day temporary license, since the Texas license was expired, and take the trailer to the State Patrol Office for a safety check. They checked the lights, brakes, tires and frame for any obvious defects and also found the original number engraved on the tongue. It they hadn't found it, they would have just engraved a new one with a vibra-tool for licensing purposes. This was in Washington State.

If I were buying an older fiberglass RV, I wouldn't care whether it was a Boler or Scamp. I'd just be glad to get it for a price I could afford!

Dianne Dohei 10-27-2008 01:07 PM

Hi April,

I think you have a Scamp. And not for the other reasons that have been given. I've seen Bolers with tail lights not recessed and with different door latches. But Bolers don't have the triple screws on the door hinge like your trailer does (they only have two). So, unless there is evidence that the hinges have been replaced, it wouldn't be a Boler.

Dianne

April Wilcox 10-27-2008 01:49 PM

I am not sure what you mean by tripple screws on the door...

Dianne Dohei 10-27-2008 02:40 PM

When I look at the hinge that holds the door to the body, it is triangular in shape and has three screws or bolts that hold the hinge to the body. The Boler hinge is a different design and has only two bolts. Three is better. We are thinking of replacing ours.

Dan R 10-27-2008 05:54 PM

You have a Scamp, April. Although I like the thread. Dan

bbuehler 10-28-2008 12:29 PM

April,
I think Dan is right about the rear lights...the older SCAMPS, those in the 70's at least, all have the back lights mounted onto the back fiberglass and not recessed into the fiberglass. I have a '77 Scamp and the lights were mounted on the back and not recessed. There also is no jelousie (or however you spell it!) window on the front door of the 70'ish Scamps...they have a large oval door window that pushes out the full oval glass with brackets. The Bolers seem to have the louvre'd or jelousie'd door window. I would bet, modestly of course, one $1 on it being a BOLER and not a Scamp.
Let us all know what you find out.
Barbara

Greg A 10-28-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

April,
I think Dan is right about the rear lights...the older SCAMPS, those in the 70's at least, all have the back lights mounted onto the back fiberglass and not recessed into the fiberglass. I have a '77 Scamp and the lights were mounted on the back and not recessed. There also is no jelousie (or however you spell it!) window on the front door of the 70'ish Scamps...they have a large oval door window that pushes out the full oval glass with brackets. The Bolers seem to have the louvre'd or jelousie'd door window. I would bet, modestly of course, one $1 on it being a BOLER and not a Scamp.
Let us all know what you find out.
Barbara
I have an 81 Scamp and it has the exact windows as April's on both the Dinette and the Door. Side view looks identical to mine and rear taillights are surface mounted.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.