Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (
-   General Chat (
-   -   SS (

Kevin K 06-03-2009 07:26 AM

I just curious as to what age most people will take SS.
I know that we are not to make this board political, so I hope this is NOT.

Donna D. 06-03-2009 07:31 AM

Thanks Kevin for asking. I think it's a simple enough questions to ask and answer. We don't need to discuss the government and whether or not SS will be around when most want to retire... no one has a crystal ball and every day is a gift.

I'm starting mine at age 62. I figured it out and at age 73 (for me) it becomes a push. At age 74, I would have gotten more monthly if I had waited. But no one knows what tomorrow may bring and I'd rather collect early than not collect at all.

Alf S. 06-03-2009 07:51 AM

Hi: All...65 is a nice round #... I just hope I'm still a round!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie :wave

Time K 06-03-2009 07:56 AM

Kevin, in 10 months I will be eligible for my service pension and I plan to begin there and that is 55.

Dave Fish 06-03-2009 08:46 AM

I retired at 60. Although the news pundants say you should wait, I like Donna did the math and decided to go early. I am counting the months before I can start drawing. BTW, my wife started at 62 as well.

Christine P 06-03-2009 09:05 AM

But no one knows what tomorrow may bring and I'd rather collect early than not collect at all.
yep yep... started mine when i turned 62.... its very little but better than nothing!!

Gil & Kathy 06-03-2009 09:05 AM

I turned 62 last Saturday and my first check is scheduled to arrive late in July. I decided to take it now for the same reasons as Donna. If your circumstances merit it and you do the math it just makes sense.

CindyL 06-03-2009 09:15 AM

SS is supposed to be bankrupt at just about the time I would be able to take advantage. I expect to have to work until I am 103.

Working makes it difficult to make some of the rallies, especially when they are during the week. However, even the weekend ones can be tough to make as I teach. The job follows me home.

However, to not sound like a total downer, we are heading out this weekend to a VW show with the UHaul. Working helps fund expensive hobbies :) .

Alan Weinel 06-03-2009 09:30 AM

Ditto to all the reasons for 62. I am 55 now, retiring December this year (55 / 8 mos) and will draw the first day I can.

Let me just ADD to Donna's excellent point about the break even point. There is more to it than JUST break even.

1) I think it will be FAR easier for Congress to change the rules to keep people from STARTING than to actually cut them OFF once they start drawing.

2) even on a "break even" basis - that is only a FINANCIAL break even point. There is age to consider. Look, we are ALL older than we were yesterday. And here is the deal... our "best" years, health, stamina, whatever, ***ARE*** the younger years. So, the "extra" cash in the younger years helps fund a more active, lifestyle. Who is MORE active at, say, 85 than at 65? I dare say precious few if any. Take the cash young, while you still can and enjoy your life, while you still can.

Just my 2 worth - and worth every penny.

ronsmith100 06-03-2009 09:54 AM

I retired at 62 and last year when I got to 65 I looked at how much more I could have gotten if I had waited and weighed that against three years of egging, fishing, and photography. The last three years have been, as MasterCard says, priceless.

Adrian W 06-03-2009 10:07 AM

Did it at 62 for all the already mentioned reasons :exactly: Who knows if they can make it to 65. :nope

:inbox The way retirement should be is to be retired when one is young and can enjoy it, then after getting old and not so lively one should have to work to pay for the retirement years. :roll

Pete 06-03-2009 10:26 AM

Alan Weine - "Take the cash young, while you still can and enjoy your life, while you still can. "

ronsmith100 - " . . . three years of egging, fishing, and photography . . . priceless."

Each day is a gift to enjoy, explore, and to share with others. Don't put off unwrapping your present!

Larry&Carrie 06-03-2009 10:28 AM

I'll start'er at 62.... I turned 60 last fall and started drawing my Military "Compensation for Time Served" --- 38+ years... At 62, I have some Civil Service retirement coming also. With every thing paid for and free medical gratis the Army, we'll be all right. Carrie says she wants to retire also, but I keep telling her she's too young, and besides, she has to pay her own way...... :kiss
Life is too short to keep working, and besides, there's too many places to visit :steer and hunting camps to go to.... (and more cars to build) :dance Larry

pjanits 06-03-2009 11:29 AM

I am now 63+ I planned to start SS at 62, well several months down the road I am still "almost" planning 63+. July 31????
We have a wedding in July so it really all depends on when the wife stops spending money.

Yikes! I could be working forever?