Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   What do you think of this as a porch light? (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/what-do-you-think-of-this-as-a-porch-light-40507.html)

Donna D. 11-22-2009 08:55 AM

Trying to come up with useful trailer stuff at a reasonable cost.

I'm not real big on infomercial stuff, nor the As Seen on RV junk, but came across this and thought it might be a good thing for the trailer as an outdoor light without running wires. I especially like the fact it can turn on/off with a remote. Rather than permanently mounted, thought maybe from a command hook since I doubt it's waterproof:
Remote LED Bright Light

hummm.

Don H. 11-22-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Trying to come up with useful trailer stuff at a reasonable cost.

I'm not real big on infomercial stuff, nor the As Seen on RV junk, ...
Pun intended, or freudian slip?

Looks like a good idea, but to paraphrase M Python, I've already got one.

I do like the idea of "off label" use, since much stuff intended specifically for use on, or As Seen On RV's can often be over priced. Much like the stuff in pet shops. But I digress...

Donna D. 11-22-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Pun intended, or freudian slip?

Looks like a good idea, but to paraphrase M Python, I've already got one.
You are just to quick Don... :roflol Ooops, that was SUPPOSED to be As Seen On TV :pth

I need more coffee...

Frederick L. Simson 11-22-2009 10:37 AM

Hooray! Another remote! :roflol

Robert's new car has a remote for the stereo! In a car! Why? :ask

:wink I'd be happy to install a traditional porch light and inside switch for you at next year's Oregon Gathering...

Bobbie Mayer 11-22-2009 11:17 AM

Can it be used outdoors? I didn't see any indication of that.

Raya 11-22-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Robert's new car has a remote for the stereo! In a car! [b]Why? :ask
Yeah, that one has always made me laugh too. I mean, what's next, a remote steering wheel so you don't have to reach so far for the regular one? :laugh

Although, that said, I did appreciate the "car" stereo remote control when I had one installed on a boat :yep

Donna D. 11-22-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

I'd be happy to install a traditional porch light and inside switch for you at next year's Oregon Gathering...
You're a peach Frederick. I actually have a porch light and peterh gave me a switch so I can turn it on and off from the inside of the trailer.

I'm just being lazy. Maybe mount under the trailer (removable for travel of course), to light the stair?? hummm.

Donna D. 11-22-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Can it be used outdoors? I didn't see any indication of that.
Don't know Bobbie, but as long as it stayed dry, I don't know why not. It does say RVs and boats... and I suppose the boat would NOT always be drydocked...

Joe N 11-22-2009 03:35 PM

I used one that was similar to those (did not have remote control) you had to touch it to turn on.
Even though it was not waterproof or outdoor rated, I used it on the wall near the door of a travel trailer that I used while working construction jobs.
Returning to the trailer after dark all I needed to do was tap it and I could see enough to get the correct key to open the door.
It worked many years through rain and snow. I changed the batteries every fall season, it never let me down.
These led ones should last forever IMHO.

edited to correct typos.

RSchleder 11-23-2009 05:56 AM

I'm with bobbie, nothing about this light being acceptable for outside usage. Not sure how you would keep it dry in a downpour?

Ricky 4 11-23-2009 06:45 AM

We had one of these for our tent-works just as it said. It was for outside the entrance. Doubted the weather resistance so put it in a zip lock bag and put the velcro on the bag and then velcro-ed it to the tent. We used rechargable batteries in it-they lasted through the season.
No more need for the tent-we now have our Compact Jr. (and still use the light)-let it rain-we don`t worry now!

Frederick L. Simson 11-23-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

I actually have a porch light and peterh gave me a switch so I can turn it on and off from the inside of the trailer.

I'm just being lazy.
So... all you need is to replace the switch with a sensor and a remote to operate it.

Roger C H 09-20-2010 05:55 PM

I think one of these on either side of the door would give nice light for entrance:

Smart Solar Wall Lights - Set of 2*|*Meijer.com

Or maybe this number above the door:

http://www.rewci.com/wunderlight-min...spotlight.html#

Mark Shaffer 09-20-2010 06:55 PM

Donna, that light actually resembles the scare lights on bigger rv's. Looks good to me.