Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   A Smell (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/a-smell-41777.html)

Vicki A. 04-13-2010 11:57 AM

I have all of a sudden noticed a strong "sweet" smell in my egg when it has been closed up.
As I am in the process of a reno and there really isn't anything inside.
I have a new sub floor that is resined all around and set with liguid nail, and have new wiring.
The floor has been in for a few weeks, but the smell just started.
Anyone have any guess what this could be from?
I have a bowl of white vinegar in there now, hope it helps.

Vicki

Flygal 04-13-2010 12:01 PM

My only guess is when I took my scamp door apart there was a sweet almond smell. Someone said the material used in between as a filler was a product made from coconut shells (if I recall correctly) When exposed to air it smelled WONDERFUL...so maybe something s getting wet? or exposed to air and that smell is drifting in?

Quote:

I have all of a sudden noticed a strong "sweet" smell in my egg when it has been closed up.
As I am in the process of a reno and there really isn't anything inside.
I have a new sub floor that is resined all around and set with liguid nail, and have new wiring.
The floor has been in for a few weeks, but the smell just started.
Anyone have any guess what this could be from?
I have a bowl of white vinegar in there now, hope it helps.

Vicki

Flygal 04-13-2010 12:05 PM

Here is the direct reply from one of my posts when I inquired about the stuff in my door giving off the strong odor

<sub>"FYI...

The "material" you've discovered soaking up all that water is called "coir."

Coir is made up of the fibers found between the hard, internal shell and the outer coat of a coconut. They are processed and compressed into a mat, then eventually stuffed between the fiberglass skins of your Scamp doors. Luckily for us Scamp owners with leaking windows, they are immune to mold and mildew. "</sub>

Raya 04-13-2010 09:36 PM

Styrene can smell "sweet.' What kind of resin did you use for your repair? If it was an "-ester" that could be it.

Also, polyester resin was used to build the trailer, and that can give off such a smell (uncatalyzed styrene, I think). Have you drilled holes recently?

And/or has the trailer heated up now compared to when you did the work?

Rotting core can also smell this way (if you have, say, a wooden core between layers of fiberglass); but it sounds like you don't have any of that.

Raya

Vicki A. 04-14-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Styrene can smell "sweet.' What kind of resin did you use for your repair? If it was an "-ester" that could be it.

Also, polyester resin was used to build the trailer, and that can give off such a smell (uncatalyzed styrene, I think). Have you drilled holes recently?

And/or has the trailer heated up now compared to when you did the work?

Rotting core can also smell this way (if you have, say, a wooden core between layers of fiberglass); but it sounds like you don't have any of that.

Raya

Brandy-
Thanks for the hint, but I know there is no water in the door, so that's not it.

Raya-
You may have hit the nail on the head. The new floor didn't have a smell - but I have cut more than a few holes from connectors, lights etc. Also have drilled a lot of holes. Maybe I need to get back in there with the shop vac and see if I have missed so "dust".

Thanks gang!!

Vicki