Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Wiring Issue (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/wiring-issue-44574.html)

Lawrence W 12-15-2010 02:29 PM

Wiring Issue

I rewired my Scamp, all new wiring, terminals and fuse panel. I checked out the lights today(first good weather in three weeks!). Problem with trailer wiring (TV works OK).
With Trailer connected to TV:
Lights Switch on: All Tail & Marker lights on fine.
Left Blinker on: All " " " blink

Wiring description (TV plug):
1 O'clock - Tail (Grn)
3 O'clock - RH Blinker/Stop (Brn)
5 O'clock - Elect Brake (Blu)
7 O'clock - Ground (Wht)
9 O'clock - LH Blinker/Stop (Red)
11 O'clock - 12V (Blk)

I checked the wiring back to the taillights, ground/continuity OK. Could it be that I wired the tail & Blinker/Stop backwards at the taillights? I haven't checked that out yet, as it requires digging out the butyl putty sealant and removing the taillights. (Is there a way I could test this out without unhooking the taillights or cutting the wiring?) I tried swiitching the red and brn at the front terminal, with following results:

LH Blinker On: RH Blinker works.
RH Blinker On: Both Taillights bllink

Little help here, please.
Lawrence

Donna D. 12-15-2010 02:50 PM

Lawrence, there's some wiring diagrams in the Document Center that may help:
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - WiringDiagram_7-Pin_TrailerEnd

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - WiringDiagram_7-Pin_CarEnd

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - WiringDiagram_Scamp

Bill K 12-15-2010 06:58 PM

If case you didn't catch it yet, you have the BLACK & GREEN wires reversed.

I was using the info in the Scamp manual.

Bill K

Frederick L. Simson 12-15-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrence W (Post 231662)
Problem with trailer wiring (TV works OK).
With Trailer connected to TV:
Lights Switch on: All Tail & Marker lights on fine.
Left Blinker on: All " " " blink

I tried switching the red and brown at the front terminal, with following results:

LH Blinker On: RH Blinker works.
RH Blinker On: Both Taillights blink

My best guess is that you have some wiring crushed somewhere shorting red to something. When you switched the brown and the red, you effectively reversed the tail light positions, and the brown wire (LH Blinker on: RH Blinker works) works as I would expect it to, telling me you had them wired correctly the first time.

Looks like you have to dig out that putty. I would un-mount the tail light fixtures from the trailer's body, let them dangle from their wiring, and return the red and brown wires to their original positions at the front terminal. Test the operation from the tow vehicle's switch and see if they operate correctly.

In addition to checking the ground wire for continuity, you need to check each wire for resistivity to different colored wires. (You should not get continuity between red and brown, for example. Only between red and red.)

Lawrence W 12-15-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill K (Post 231678)
If case you didn't catch it yet, you have the BLACK & GREEN wires reversed.

I was using the info in the Scamp manual.

Bill K

Bill:
My "O'clock" diagram is from the TV front view. I believe the Scamp Diagram is from the rear of the plug, which would mate up exactly with my setup. If the Scamp diagram is from the front, then, yes, my setup would be reversed.
Lawrence

Lawrence W 12-15-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson (Post 231680)
My best guess is that you have some wiring crushed somewhere shorting red to something. When you switched the brown and the red, you effectively reversed the tail light positions, and the brown wire (LH Blinker on: RH Blinker works) works as I would expect it to, telling me you had them wired correctly the first time.

Looks like you have to dig out that putty. I would un-mount the tail light fixtures from the trailer's body, let them dangle from their wiring, and return the red and brown wires to their original positions at the front terminal. Test the operation from the tow vehicle's switch and see if they operate correctly.

In addition to checking the ground wire for continuity, you need to check each wire for resistivity to different colored wires. (You should not get continuity between red and brown, for example. Only between red and red.)

Fred:
thanks for the advice. I'll check it out tomorrow.( I was getting continuity between brn and all others.)
Q: (If I understand you correctly) If the RH blinker/brn worked correctly with the wiring reversed, then how could I have "wired it correctly the first time?" According to my (color coded) diagram, the brn is supposed to be the RH blinker/stop.

Lawrence

Matt in SV 12-15-2010 08:52 PM

Also - never trust the color code. Get a meter and check it out the continuity directly. I bought some etrailer pigtail and three of the wires were incorrect.

Regards,

Matt

Lawrence W 12-15-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt in SV (Post 231688)
Also - never trust the color code. Get a meter and check it out the continuity directly. I bought some etrailer pigtail and three of the wires were incorrect.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks, Matt,
As noted in my original thread, I rechecked from the TV plug, through the front terminal, rear terminal. I will go over everything again tomorrow, because I'm almost certain I have a short someplace. If I don't locate it, I will have to unbolt the taillights. I installed new ones, and the terminal clearances were very small, so...it could be there. I have good diagrams I made of everything, now I'll be able to practice troubleshooting.
Lawrence

Matt in SV 12-16-2010 01:06 AM

maybe you could remove all the bulbs, disconnect the trailer battery, and probe the pigtail connector for shorts between the various contacts??

Bill K 12-16-2010 07:14 AM

Lawrence,
If the Scamp view was opposite of yours then they all would be reversed not just two wires.

Bill K

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrence W (Post 231685)
Bill:
My "O'clock" diagram is from the TV front view. I believe the Scamp Diagram is from the rear of the plug, which would mate up exactly with my setup. If the Scamp diagram is from the front, then, yes, my setup would be reversed.
Lawrence

Lawrence W 12-17-2010 09:19 AM

Believe it or not, I solved the problem by simply replacing a taillight bulb that had one contact missing! Thanks to those of you who responded.
Lawrence