Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Is There a 2 Sided 110 Plug In Out There? (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/is-there-a-2-sided-110-plug-in-out-there-46126.html)

barryra 05-01-2011 05:25 PM

Is There a 2 Sided 110 Plug In Out There?

I want to add a 110 plug in to the outside upper right side of the closet for a small flat screen & am puting the dish reciever on a shelf in the upper inside of the closet & need to have that plugged in. Is there a plug in that's 2 sided so I can plug in the reciever from inside the closet & the tv outside it without having to add a seperate plug? I have called Home Depot & Menards.

Ed Harris 05-01-2011 05:33 PM

Since you really need to install 110 receptacles in a box I would just wire 2 back to back or side by side facing opposite directions to get this done.

Another way I have done this is to make a splice inside an outlet box from the incoming power directly to the 2 cords you need removing the end of them that would plug into an outlet.

I don't encourage doing this but it can work too.

Frederick L. Simson 05-01-2011 10:03 PM

Do you mean Back-to-Back?

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by barryra (Post 247787)
Is there a plug in that's 2 sided so I can plug in the reciever from inside the closet & the tv outside it without having to add a seperate plug?

Are you thinking about like the way some extension cords have the receptacle end with one socket on one side and 2 sockets on the other?
Attachment 35590

For a built-in receptacle that has to be mounted in a box, I would say no, I've never seen one. :nope

barryra 05-02-2011 10:42 AM

Thanks Ed & Frederick, I may just jimmy rig something in the closet.

Casita Greg 05-02-2011 11:27 AM

Are you thinking of running an entirely new circuit from your converter or AC distribution box, or tying into an existing 120vac circuit? I would recommend (if you haven't already thought of it,) that you seriously consider installing the first receptacle in the line as a GFCI outlet, for wet location hazard protection. Outdoor outlets need this additional protection, but personally, I think that all trailer outlets should be on a GFCI protected circuit for safety.

Victor Benz 05-02-2011 11:29 AM

Barry;

Use a dougle gang box, and reverse one of the boxes. That will give you a spot for any outlet on either side.

Vic

Chris Z 05-03-2011 02:34 PM

I'm guessing that the wall you are speaking of is very thin. If you were install a plug box with the normal side facing out, I would suspect you could see the box protruding into the closet. On the inside, bring a wire out of the box and let it hang with a female plug on the end of the wire. Not to code so I didn't tell you to do it but I personally wouldn't worry about it. Put a loose knot on the wire inside the box before exiting to the closet so you don't pull on the electrical connection.

Mike and Sarah K 05-06-2011 08:18 AM

Rather than try to make two boxes with one on either side use 1 box in the closet (out of sight) and make a pass through in the wall like you see on a computer desk or for cables in a house.

Something like this

Pass Through Bundle Wire Wall Plate Single Gang

CD Smith 05-09-2011 02:02 PM

My suggestion would be to use two 'low profile' recepticle boxes installed back to back.

A low profile box is one half the depth of a regular box.

floyd 05-09-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryra (Post 247787)
I want to add a 110 plug in to the outside upper right side of the closet for a small flat screen & am puting the dish reciever on a shelf in the upper inside of the closet & need to have that plugged in. Is there a plug in that's 2 sided so I can plug in the reciever from inside the closet & the tv outside it without having to add a seperate plug? I have called Home Depot & Menards.

They make extra shallow plastic non-conductive boxes which could be mounted side by side in the closet with one facing in and one cut through facing out this would give you a normal flush mount on the outside of the cabinet and a surface mount inside. the inside one could be screwed from outside the cabinet using button caps for esthetics, or it could be attached to the shelf inside the closet.:reye2