Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (
-   -   Masking Compound? (

Ruth C. 06-26-2011 10:14 AM

Masking Compound?
I want to do some intricate,, curved masking on all the white areas in the Trillium decal that's on the rock shield. Then I'm going to spray paint the exposed decal. I'd like to brush the mask on and then peel it off after the paint dries. All I can think of is something like rubber cement. Can anybody think of another product that would go on liquid, dry, and then EASILY peel off?

Brian Bran 06-26-2011 11:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used thin pinstripe type tape to do my Scamp lettering.After everything was outlined I used reguler 1/2" masking tape,trimming where necessary and it worked out well.Oh yeah,the dot that you can see between the S and the c is a bee.

Donna D. 06-26-2011 11:10 AM

You'll need something that will give you clean lines when pulled. It doesn't have to be wide, you can use anything to prevent overpainting... even newspaper. I'd suggest this stuff for next to the decal: 3M 218 Fine Line Masking Tape

This stuff is used in automotive painting, especially when painting flames. It curves easily.

Just know, you'll need to paint and pull within one day.

Kevin K 06-26-2011 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This should work
Attachment 37239
Plasti Dip Protective Coating Products | Synthetic Rubber Dip Coating

Ruth C. 06-26-2011 11:41 AM

Thank you for the great ideas. I'll start my quest at Lowe's (2 mi away and a gift card burning a hole in my pocket), and then continue on to all hardware stores and art supply stores. I've looked online, and these products are everywhere, it seems. The hunt is half the fun! Before and after pics after this stage is complete.

james kent 06-26-2011 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To paint some lettering on our table, I covered the area with painters tape and then cut out the area for the lettering and removed that tape. Came out pretty good.

BCDave 06-26-2011 11:08 PM

If you go to a high-end hobby store - the kind that sells and services the Remote-control racing cars and trucks, airplanes and boats, they have all sorts of "liquid mask" for the custom painting that owners of these (expen$ive) R-C models insist on.

My son was into racing an electric RC car for a while (most are powered by small nitro-burning engines) and I became intrigued by the process. Did you know that when you order a body for one of those, the body comes in clear, colorless plastic so you HAVE to paint it!. And the paint goes on "backwards" as you apply it to the INSIDE of the body! A whole 'nother world!

AndyGee 06-28-2011 12:38 PM

Frisket its a self adheisive masking paper/plastic that designs can easily be traced or drawn onto and cut out.

Mark V. 06-29-2011 11:48 AM

I've done t-shirts using ModPodge, like this:

...and have considered some trailer graphics the same way.
I don't think it would "peel off" like you suggested. Back in the day I made some paint-on rubber molds for casting plaster that would peel off after it's dried and trimmed. I can't remember the product name though.

Ruth C. 06-29-2011 08:13 PM

More wonderful ideas-- not good for someone who can't make decisions. I think for the decal on my corrugated rock shield, I'll have to use a liquid, but on the small, trapezoid Trillium decals, I'll try one of the others. Right now I'm tempted to go screen print a t-shirt. That was a great how-to, Mark!
Thanks, all.

john warren 02-07-2012 07:33 AM


Originally Posted by AndyGee (Post 257532)
Frisket its a self adheisive masking paper/plastic that designs can easily be traced or drawn onto and cut out.

what andy said......
get it at the local automotive paint supplier. its clear enough so you can put it over the decal, and with an exacto knife cut out the parts you want to repaint. its made for painting so it shouldn't bleed under the edges if you rub it down well.

Ken C 02-12-2013 12:40 PM

As to the removable spray coatings, ArmorAll Custom Shield Coating or Plasti Dip spray coating, those that have tried it, was it safe for your gelcoat?

Ian G. 02-12-2013 01:28 PM

Although this is an older post I thought there may still be some interest
Masking products are used extensively in air brushing, both a removable film and a liquid mask are often used. Should be available at art supply stores or hobby shops

Here are some examples I found in a quick search
Airbrush Masking and Stencil Film
'airbrush' Parma Liquid Mask 16 oz. Painting Mask / Tape

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.