Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Little Joe (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/little-joe-48669.html)

RangerBuff 10-03-2011 10:51 PM

Little Joe

My wife and I just bought a used Little Joe RV. I have a couple of maintenance questions.

The front window leaks. I have already pulled it out and then re-seated with silicone sealant and it still leaks slightly. I hate to pull it out again. Has anyone had any experience with solving this problem?

The water tank is leaking. I assume that it must be replaced rather than patched. Am I correct or is there an easy, effective repair possible?

Thanks!

Mike Magee 10-04-2011 05:21 PM

leaky water tank

Welcome to FGRV! Have you located the spot where the tank is leaking? What is the tank made of? These might make a difference in fixability (not that I'm too good at fixing things, but hopefully we can get some others to chime in).

Frederick L. Simson 10-05-2011 10:00 AM

The dreaded vile Silicone strikes again

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBuff (Post 272173)
The front window leaks. I have already pulled it out and then re-seated with silicone sealant and it still leaks slightly. I hate to pull it out again. Has anyone had any experience with solving this problem?

Most of us have had experience...

Unfortunately, you have to pull the window out (again) and attempt to TOTALLY REMOVE all traces of Silicone.
It leaves an oily residue that if not completely removed will prevent proper sealants from adhering.

To be leak free you need to use Butyl Tape.

Locklear in NC 10-05-2011 05:44 PM

Thanks for the info!!!!! The RV guy that I checked w/ is getting me an estimate but it didn't seem like he had worked w/ much fiberglass... It's hard finding someone here in NC so maybe I'll keep looking :) You are awesome!!!!!

Pam Garlow 10-05-2011 06:58 PM

Aarg! Silicone is a four letter word. My RV people just installed a light on mine and I forgot to tell them NO Silicone. You guessed it, there is a very neat circle of the stuff around the light fixture.

The Minimalist 10-07-2011 11:30 AM

Welcome to the forum. You are one of a very few Little Joe owners here. How do you like it so far?

Regarding the water tank. I think it is unlikely that the poly tank itself is leaking after 4 years, unless there is evidence of an incident that may have damaged it.

Likely it is a loose hose connection.

Do you get leaks only when the tank is full, or when it is say, half full? If it leaks only on full, that isolates it to the top hoses. Check both the fill hose and the air bleed line clamps at the tank and inside the fill port. You will have to remove the fill port to check the connections there. Do you get the leaks only when the trailer is in motion, definitely top end. Note: If you pull the fill port, when you replace it,use the butyl rubber tape. I just replaced mine entirely with a locking door model.

If you get the leak when the tank is less than full, check the lower hose clamps and the compression fittings on either side of the drain valve. You should be able to wipe them dry and put something under and see if you get water. A jar lid should fit or a dry paper towel if not.

Clif

Roger C H 03-06-2012 02:20 AM

Cajun Joe

Isn't he the bully of the bayou? ^_^

Donna D. 03-06-2012 06:07 AM

Hi Max and wife, welcome to FiberglassRV. You've already received excellent advice. Pull the window, use butyl and don't allow silicone within 100 yards of your trailer (stuff invented by the Devil). I don't have a Little Joe, I think Clif's suggestions about the water tank would apply to any brand of molded trailer.

Post pictures when you can, we love to :E at pics!

john warren 03-06-2012 07:35 AM

yeah,,,,uh,,,,throw out that sillycon stuff.:cool:

john warren 03-06-2012 07:41 AM

as to the tank... unless there is some dammage that would be clearly seen from ourside from an impact,,,about the only thing that can make the tank itself leak would be if it froze and broke. or some knuckle head ....like me....mounted something to the trailer and drilled a hole in it in error...:eek:

so look at your fittings

RangerBuff 03-06-2012 11:51 AM

This makes a lot of sense to me. I plan to tackle the problem in a couple of weeks just before I take Little Joe out for its first 2012 outing. I'll start with the fittings.