Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   1983 Burro door locking apparatus... (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/1983-burro-door-locking-apparatus-51223.html)

Creek Conley 04-11-2012 09:00 AM

1983 Burro door locking apparatus...

I have two screws on the inside of the door, so I unscrewed them and thought i could pop off the whole locking mechanism... It did not pop off like I thought it would. I am trying to take it to a locksmith and have it rebuilt. Any suggestions on how to take this off?
Thanks!

Sue and Henry 04-30-2012 10:49 PM

:( Have you figured it out yet? I'd like to know how you did it! I'm going to have to remove my door and lock to take care of some cracking in the door fiberglass around the lock.

Sue and Henry 05-28-2012 05:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm still hoping for your solution. I'm going to be removing my door in the late summer. I've purchased some great replacement hinges and since the area around the lock needs to be removed and repaired too, I was hoping to get something that looks like the original for replacement so it won't need doing later. Did you have any luck?

jen b 05-28-2012 06:11 PM

That's the L400, and it *should* push out once you get those two inside screws out. It might be adhered in with something sticky? I had to do some gentle wrestling with mine because it was in there with ancient butyl tape.

Donna D. 05-28-2012 07:28 PM

When things get stuck and you know it's not from additional hidden screws. Get some dental floss or a nylon guitar string and "floss" the area. It's easier if you wrap the ends around something to use for handles... like a garrote. You want to cut through the sticky stuff or old butyl, but not gouge the gelcoat like if you try prying with a screwdriver or putty knife.

Sue and Henry 05-28-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen b
That's the L400, and it *should* push out once you get those two inside screws out. It might be adhered in with something sticky? I had to do some gentle wrestling with mine because it was in there with ancient butyl tape.

Did you reuse or replace?

jen b 05-28-2012 07:39 PM

I replaced mine, since I was going to be doing a bunch of bodywork anyway. My dad re-formed the latch hole to match the footprint of a new latch. The original L400 was going to break sooner or later, and I didn't care to worry about when.

Sue and Henry 05-28-2012 09:13 PM

Hi Jen, I read your impressive thread on the re-do of your burro...but now I can't find it. Could you direct me to the link? It looks like I'm going to need it. One piece of great news for me, my neighbor works on military airplanes and also does lots in fiberglass working on cars (he said he could show me how to do the whole thing in kevlar if I wanted, I guess creating robo burro). He's going to help me with the door. So now I'm collecting parts. I remember your thread explained how you built up around the new latch. Link?

Sue and Henry 05-28-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue and Henry
Hi Jen, I read your impressive thread on the re-do of your burro...but now I can't find it. Could you direct me to the link? It looks like I'm going to need it. One piece of great news for me, my neighbor works on military airplanes and also does lots in fiberglass working on cars (he said he could show me how to do the whole thing in kevlar if I wanted, I guess creating robo burro). He's going to help me with the door. So now I'm collecting parts. I remember your thread explained how you built up around the new latch. Link?

. .....found it Jen.

JMS 05-29-2012 05:56 PM

If you look close, there's an e-clip under the exterior handle that you need to pry off and then the whole mechanism will come off