Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Antifreeze (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/antifreeze-52613.html)

imbabyh 06-19-2012 02:53 PM

Antifreeze
 
So I learned this weekend, according to my dad, :) that if you wipe down your fiberglass (anything) with straight anitfreeze, and leave it on while in storage or over the winter, it will work as a moisturizer, haha, and replenish the oils in the fiberglass giving it a new luster. Just rinse off in the spring.
According to Dad, this is an old mariners trick for winterizing boats!
Now I am certain that he is absolutely correct, cause he is never wrong! ;);)

Thomas G. 06-19-2012 03:55 PM

I've never heard that. I do know that it is toxic to animals and tastes sweet.

cpaharley2008 06-19-2012 06:34 PM

that must have been before EPA rules about antifreeze disposal. I can not imagine coating your trailer with this stuff and then washing it off and it all goes down the storm sewer into the local stream. Garages have to capture and dispose of antifreeze or face large fines.

steve dunham 06-19-2012 08:17 PM

Old time rules
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (Post 315971)
that must have been before EPA rules about antifreeze disposal. I can not imagine coating your trailer with this stuff and then washing it off and it all goes down the storm sewer into the local stream. Garages have to capture and dispose of antifreeze or face large fines.

This reminds me of when we were kids and they sprayed used motor oil on the roads to keep dust down and on ponds and swamps to control mosquitoes .It also reminds me of the home remedies my dad and grandfather told me about when I was a kid . It seems strange now to use antifreeze for this purpose but 50 years ago it probably made sense

Mary F 06-19-2012 09:02 PM

I'm hoping it was RV antifreeze he was talking about... :yep

BCDave 06-19-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve dunham (Post 316008)
This reminds me of when we were kids and they sprayed used motor oil on the roads to keep dust down and on ponds and swamps to control mosquitoes .It also reminds me of the home remedies my dad and grandfather told me about when I was a kid . It seems strange now to use antifreeze for this purpose but 50 years ago it probably made sense


PCB - laced oil in transformers is often considered to be one of the most toxic things, yet there are places where folks swear by it as a cure for arthritis - calling it "electric oil", and rubbing on afflicted areas

steve dunham 06-19-2012 09:28 PM

Pcp
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BCDave (Post 316026)
PCB - laced oil in transformers is often considered to be one of the most toxic things, yet there are places where folks swear by it as a cure for arthritis - calling it "electric oil", and rubbing on afflicted areas

In the 60's I used to change the taps on transformers filled with PCP oil by opening the top cover and reaching down barehanded into the oil to rotate the tap switch. We also dunked our tools in PCP oil to lubricate them. It was not considered a problem . Move ahead to the 80's and oil with 2 PPM of PCP was considered hazardous. I also remember when they sprayed fireproofing with asbestos on construction jobs and no one wore PPE . We all have done things in the past that appear to be stupid when judged against today's standards

BCDave 06-19-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve dunham (Post 316029)
In the 60's I used to change the taps on transformers filled with PCP oil by opening the top cover and reaching down barehanded into the oil to rotate the tap switch. We also dunked our tools in PCP oil to lubricate them. It was not considered a problem . Move ahead to the 80's and oil with 2 PPM of PCP was considered hazardous. I also remember when they sprayed fireproofing with asbestos on construction jobs and no one wore PPE . We all have done things in the past that appear to be stupid when judged against today's standards


You just reminded me that when I was a li'l kidlet, my school was quite proud of the asbestos curtains in the auditorium!

Robin G 06-19-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imbabyh (Post 315911)
Just rinse off in the spring.



Ok, I get that someone probably used this method somewhere in time, but "just rinse off" ??????


Wouldn't snow, rain have already done that if it was so easy to come off? Around here if it was that easy to remove, it would be gone by Oct......... (well a normal CO winter anyway! Obvisously this year was different!)

Ray N 06-21-2012 09:03 AM

Remember when they used to sell lead casting kits to kids, and Boys Life magazine advertised ammunition?
If knives, matches, glass, electricity, etc. were invented today they would probably have a difficult time being approved for home use.

Thomas G. 06-21-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray N (Post 316436)
Remember when they used to sell lead casting kits to kids, and Boys Life magazine advertised ammunition?
If knives, matches, glass, electricity, etc. were invented today they would probably have a difficult time being approved for home use.

We used to play with balls of liquid mercury when I was a kid.......hey wait a minute, this explains a few things. :loltu

Ray N 06-21-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas G. (Post 316441)
We used to play with balls of liquid mercury when I was a kid.......hey wait a minute, this explains a few things. :loltu

When my dentist gave me some to play with he did warn me that I shouldn't do it if I had any cuts on my hand.

Byron Kinnaman 06-21-2012 01:26 PM

In last 15 years antifreeze used in auto cooling systems has gone through some major chemical changes. It's not even close to the same stuff used 15 to 20 years ago.

Darwin Maring 06-21-2012 05:32 PM

I'm thinking that Heather's dad told her that on April 1.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.