Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Furnace or No Furnace (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/furnace-or-no-furnace-54305.html)

Crackedegg 09-08-2012 04:12 PM

Furnace or No Furnace

I'm renovating my egg and am debating on putting in a furnace or not.
I was wondering why so many people have furnaces that run off their propane but still need electricity to operate.
Would it not just make sense to have a portable ceramic electric heater with a fan?

I'd love to hear any opinions on this as I'm drawing up plans now.
Thanks!
F.R.ägg owner

Roy in TO 09-08-2012 04:25 PM

I've got what they call Gravity furnaces in both trailers. No fan required. Most times we've wanted one, we fire it up for 5-10 minutes and turn it down, the pilot light then keeps the inside warm enough to take the edge off.

jimcapon 09-08-2012 04:31 PM

I agree with you. I have a 1966 Aloha that I,ve been working on for a couple of years & I ripped out the tanks 1st day. Recently I got my Burro(future project)& the tanks,stovetop and heater got yanked.

Raz 09-08-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackedegg (Post 332603)
I'm renovating my egg and am debating on putting in a furnace or not.
I was wondering why so many people have furnaces that run off their propane but still need electricity to operate.
Would it not just make sense to have a portable ceramic electric heater with a fan?

I'd love to hear any opinions on this as I'm drawing up plans now.
Thanks!
F.R.ägg owner

Ceramic heaters are great as long as you have an electric hook up. If you camp where there are no hook ups then propane is the way to go if you want a furnace. That said, while I ordered furnace on our current trailer if I had to do it again I wouldn't. They use a lot of propane. Living in the frozen north you get used to cold. We add an extra blanket at night and the coffee brewing on the stove in the morning warms things up enough for us. Raz

Crackedegg 09-08-2012 04:55 PM

My old Coleman's propane furnace required 110 for the fan to work do other furnaces just need 12v electricity to ignite and run the fan?

Kenny Strong 09-08-2012 05:53 PM

we have a 93 BigFoot 13'. the fan runs on 12 volt. if the battery is low the heater will not ignite. the fan runs while the furnace pilot light is not lit. up thru Alberta into B.C. into Alaska in July August and Sept. we were very glade to have a furnace.

David Tilston 09-09-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackedegg (Post 332614)
My old Coleman's propane furnace required 110 for the fan to work do other furnaces just need 12v electricity to ignite and run the fan?

Most current forced air furnaces use 12VDC for the fan.

Crackedegg 09-09-2012 07:30 AM

I think after reading your replies and some other threads I'm going to put one in. I don't know if I'll use it or not I think it would be a good thing to have just in case.
Now I have to find a cheap one!