Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   RAV4 people: why is my hitch only 4 inches off the ground? (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f72/rav4-people-why-is-my-hitch-only-4-inches-off-the-ground-57542.html)

lpk49 04-08-2013 12:18 PM

RAV4 people: why is my hitch only 4 inches off the ground?

how is this going to work? i am switching from a silverado 4x4 to a rav4

jon and deryk have been helping me with wiring stuff...but i didnt know this would happen. i'm hooked up and need to drive 5 miles on good roads to the shop to have the new brakes adjusted...but i'm a little afraid to travel this low to the ground

when i look at your pics with ravs the hitch goes straight across...mine makes a V.

whats going on? thx. kayak

Glenn Baglo 04-08-2013 01:06 PM

Maybe attach a pic so we can see what you are talking about.
Do you have a class 3 hitch receiver or the factory class 2 hitch receiver?
Are you using a WDH?

Wallo 04-08-2013 01:10 PM

I switched from a Forrester to Rav4 this year also. My hitch sits really low because I had U-Haul install it instead of Toyota to save $500. I posted earlier about the stinger being much lower than the Scamp part of the hitch. So I'm gonna turn my stinger around, switch the ball to that side and see how it works. Still may have to buy a new stinger, but it's worth a shot. I think if the hitch was installed the way Toyota does, it would be behind the bumper, rather than below it, raising it a few inches. Mine scrapes on drive ways, but I try to take them at an angle to avoid it.

deryk 04-08-2013 01:20 PM

I bought a receiver that can drop it raise by flipping it over I think it 5 inches....helps a lot....post pics

lpk49 04-08-2013 01:23 PM

thanks alice. i am surprised that toyotas hitch would sit differently. i just talked to their service and they didnt mention that. i also have uhaul hitch i know it will pull 3500 and i think is a III. hitching and towing is not the fun part for me.. i just want to be there.

so-the rv guy and toyota service are saying maybe i can "turn the ball around" to get it higher...or get an adjustable ball

the rv guy is coming here tomorrow to do what he can.

glenn...i wish i could attach a pic. i figured out how to email pics...but wouldnt know how to attach it here

so-in general this traveling low is common with smaller cars?(im used to a truck) but it must be doable cuz many of you pull with ravs, right? i do like the car...

lpk49 04-08-2013 01:26 PM

oh-deryk-we were posting at the same time. that sounds like what the rv guy was saying.

and i have the anti-sway bar from casita...and plan to use it. someone else on here said they always use it...the one time you dont a moose may run out in front of you and you would wish you had it.

i saw your other thread about the wind-my rav has been blowing around all week without the camper...so i am sure i will need all the help i can get.

lpk49 04-08-2013 01:29 PM

alice-are you happier with the rav than the forrester?

what is WDH?

the weather is so nice this week---i am really antsy to get down to the beach with my little house on wheels.

deryk 04-08-2013 02:07 PM

Weight distribution hitch...I might buy the one I put the link in for on about towing

GMike A 04-08-2013 02:32 PM

Here is a good link. Kind of goes through it all Kayak
etrailer.com videos - YouTube

ndquiltlady 04-08-2013 03:41 PM

I also have a Rav4 and mine does seem lower than I would prefer and I too have to be careful with driveways.

Never thought about turning it over and readjusting (thanks Deryk) - but I pulled the camper 300 miles home and did fine with it so may leave well enough alone (if it ain't broke...)...

Tonja

deryk 04-08-2013 03:45 PM

Tonja I would recommend the Firestone air bags for your rear spring's... otherwise the squatting can cause some problems... at the least your nose is pointing up. And the tongue jack could bottom out.

GMike A 04-08-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndquiltlady (Post 376321)

Never thought about turning it over and readjusting (thanks Deryk) - but I pulled the camper 300 miles home and did fine with it so may leave well enough alone (if it ain't broke...)...

Tonja

You should be able to park your camper and car on level ground and with the camper leveled the ball should be lined up with the trailer. Any car store or even Walmart has coupler hitches that come in different "drop" lengths for example 2,4,6 8, or 9 inches that can be flipped over to get the ball Up higher so that your trailer is as level as possible for towing. Im sure others will chime in but thats the way I have always done it. Thats for basic trailering weights and then as others have indicated on other threads you get into WDH mechanisms for load equalization. IMO

fusedlight 04-08-2013 04:47 PM

We've got a Rav4 with a Toyota-installed hitch. When we first got our Scamp we used the ball mount that came with it... and there was a BIG dip. So big we took out the electric tongue lifter going over a speed bump! When we got the lift replaced at a Camping World they recommended a place Down The Road that sold us a ball mount with a BIG dogleg in it. We flipped it so that the ball was up around 4 or 5 inches and all was well. The Scamp now rides darn near perfectly level.

Glenn Baglo 04-08-2013 05:03 PM

I have no air bags.
When I'm not towing, the RAV rides as designed.
When I am towing, the weight distribution hitch, shifts weight to restore level.

baglo