Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Replacing my RV's Decals (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/replacing-my-rvs-decals-58240.html)

NASCARon 05-10-2013 08:09 PM

Replacing my RV's Decals

I have a 2008 Keystone Montana 3400RL fifth wheel and the decals are peeling. Keystone sent me decals but won't pay for the installation so I thought I'd look into doing it myself. I have noticed that on the front and back caps the gelcoat isn't as shiney and smooth as it used to be. So I have a few questions:

How would I remove the peeling decals?
How would I revive or replace the gelcoat where it looks dull?
Is there anything I'm missing that I should know?

Thanks
Ron

Thinh 05-10-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NASCARon (Post 386239)
I have a 2008 Keystone Montana 3400RL fifth wheel and the decals are peeling. Keystone sent me decals but won't pay for the installation so I thought I'd look into doing it myself. I have noticed that on the front and back caps the gelcoat isn't as shiney and smooth as it used to be. So I have a few questions:

How would I remove the peeling decals?
How would I revive or replace the gelcoat where it looks dull?
Is there anything I'm missing that I should know?

Thanks
Ron

My opinion as answers for your questions, orderly: Using heat gun to remove decals, labels...To bring back shiny original state, try to buff it with quality compound. Do not over buff, you might burn it beyonds repair. Hopefully it helps.

Donna D. 05-10-2013 09:27 PM

I'd use an eraser wheel to remove crusty old decals: 3M-7498 STRIPE WHEEL W/ARBOR - Amazon.com

Bottom line, you've landed on a forum for all molded towables, which your Keystone.... isn't.

Maybe you'd have better luck with a forum that has information about your brand of trailer: Keystone Brand at IVR2.com

Best of luck :wave

Bob Miller 05-10-2013 09:29 PM

I just finished taking the decals off of a pop-up I am rebuilding. A heat gun on low heat, good finger nails and a bit of a learning curve as you figure out what angle to peel at, how much heat to use, and how much burned finger pain you can tolerate.
There are some decal release liquids out there, but they don't seem to help much.

Fergot to add: Eraser wheels work well on fiberlass, but will burn painted surfaces.

NASCARon 05-11-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna D. (Post 386258)
Bottom line, you've landed on a forum for all molded towables, which your Keystone.... isn't.

Why do you say that Donna?

Donna D. 05-11-2013 06:20 AM

Ron, this forum is an all molded towable forum. Your Keystone is built with a frame and fiberglass panels. You have seams everywhere the panels are attached. All molded trailers are manufactured by using a mold.... more like a fiberglass boat.

Does this help?

Bob Miller 05-11-2013 09:13 AM

Yep, and I don't know of any 34' fifth wheel molded fiberglass trailers either.
(Hint: Keystone 3400 might be 34' or 3.400 meters long, who knows?)

NASCARon 05-11-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Miller (Post 386390)
Yep, and I don't know of any 34' fifth wheel molded fiberglass trailers either.
(Hint: Keystone 3400 might be 34' or 3.400 meters long, who knows?)

The 2008 Keystone Montana 3400RL is 38 feet 4 inches

Okay I understand what you all are saying now. Thanks for your help.