Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   RV Lockset Recall (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/rv-lockset-recall-60231.html)

Donna D. 08-08-2013 09:03 PM

RV Lockset Recall

This was just posted on a Facebook page I follow: Nearly 3 million RV door locks recalled

floyd 08-08-2013 09:27 PM

Thanks Donna, That looks like the same model I (and others) have used.
I'll have to check it out. So far it has worked well, until this spring when the latch quit wanting to "slam" consistently.
I filed a little wear off the latch ramp (not the deadbolt) to make it smooth and oiled the mechanism and now it's better than ever.

:hmmThat reminds me...I still have a recall on my 2001 Ranger, to add a fuse to the cruise control, guess I should call....Naah!^_^

rabbit 08-09-2013 01:12 AM

It's the Fastec version of the Trimark design. There must be thousands of these out there in RV land. I believe they are practically bullet proof except that keys go missing at which point replacing the entire lockset is cheaper than obtaining keys. I've never had trouble with mine except that the weather guards on the cylinders stick open and require periodic lubing with graphite.

Jack

Ron F 08-09-2013 05:24 AM

I'll have to check the numbers, but I think that's why we got locked inside our EggCamper once in Florida. Fortunately, I keep a couple of tools inside the Egg and, with a phillips screwdriver, took the lockset apart and manually moved the deadbolt. Now I always keep a phillips inside.

Alf S. 08-09-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron F (Post 409355)
I'll have to check the numbers, but I think that's why we got locked inside our EggCamper once in Florida. Fortunately, I keep a couple of tools inside the Egg and, with a phillips screwdriver, took the lockset apart and manually moved the deadbolt. Now I always keep a phillips inside.

Hi: Ron F...Which is better. Being locked in or locked out?
I just looked at our 5.0 lockset and I'm sure it's a FIC 44610 Flush Slam Lock, as seen on Home
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie :wave

rabbit 08-09-2013 08:30 AM

The heads of the four machine screws which sandwich the inner and outer lock plates of recent Fastec locks require a Torx screwdriver bit and are obviously located on the inside plate. Better to be locked inside WITH the appropriate screwdriver. The older Trimarks have Phillips head screws. The answer is the same: inside with Mr. Screwdriver is better. Not having the cylinder malfunction is best.

jack

CORRECTION: The older Trimark has the oddball screw heads. The current Fastecs have Phillips.

Ron F 08-10-2013 04:58 AM

Jack is correct:
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbit (Post 409374)
inside with Mr. Screwdriver is better. Not having the cylinder malfunction is best.

If the lock fails when you're outside, it's time to get some type of cutting tool and try to avoid collateral damage.

Ron

Jim Bennett 08-10-2013 09:11 AM

Mine looks just like that, but I tried everything I could think of, and could not get it to fail.

Where does one find the model number on the lock. Maybe I need a bright light and better glasses, as I could not find one easily.

Bob Miller 08-10-2013 09:48 AM

I'd much rather get locked OUT. Imaging getting locked IN when the CO alarm is sounding or the oil on the stove catches on fire, or as happened to my Mom & Dad years ago, when a bear decides that tipping trailers was more fun than tipping cows.

Being locked IN or Out, breaking out a window is usually a better choice that attacking the door lock. As the front and back windows on our BigFoot are only plastic it's an easy choice and much cheaper to repair than door damage.

If I had to keep a screwdriver handy in case the door wouldn't unlock, I'd quickly be looking for another lockset.

floyd 08-10-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bennett (Post 409602)
Mine looks just like that, but I tried everything I could think of, and could not get it to fail.

Where does one find the model number on the lock. Maybe I need a bright light and better glasses, as I could not find one easily.

Only certain keycode numbers are affected (according to the article).
The keycode is stamped on the original key itself.
I will call them on Monday and report back here with a list if possible.

It appears likely that this recall will affect only a limited number of locks and then only a few of them could fail.
I think that the striker which I designed for my Scamp could contribute less to jambing than than a conventional square hole design. It would almost certainly prevent being locked in.

Harvey 08-10-2013 01:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by floyd (Post 409609)
Only certain keycode numbers are affected (according to the article).
The keycode is stamped on the original key itself.
I will call them on Monday and report back here with a list if possible.

It appears likely that this recall will affect only a limited number of locks and then only a few of them could fail.
I think that the striker which I designed for my Scamp could contribute less to jambing than than a conventional square hole design. It would almost certainly prevent being locked in.

You're correct Floyd that the recall will apparently only affect certain Key codes but of certain lock model #'s, specifically 43610, 40610, & 44610. Like Jim Bennet I'm unable to find a model # on the FIC lockset I have on my old pop-up cabover camper (I used it to replace a TriMark lock that had a broken cylinder in the 'paddle'). If I can't find a model # how will I know if my lockset is even in the recall? Or perhaps those model #'s include ALL of the Fastec locksets with deadbolts, & other model #'s only have the lock cylinder in the paddle?? I also have a FIC lockset put aside that I plan to use on my '85 Scamp when I finish my re-build. I looked it over carefully yesterday & can find NO model # on it... I'm eagerly awaiting the info you're able to obtain from FIC.

rabbit 08-10-2013 02:44 PM

The link states that the deadbolt is affected but no mention of the paddle latch. Locking only the paddle latch may be the best course in the interim until problem model #s are identified and recylindered or replaced.

jack

GMike A 08-10-2013 02:57 PM

Thats my baby that I got off of ebay. So will see how that pans out. $#@$@$@$@#@

LindaK 08-10-2013 03:36 PM

It's a good thing that ParkLiner doesn't use this type of lockset! If you were locked in the trailer, you would have a very difficult time getting out of the escape hatch.