Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Finished Painting the exterior of my scamp today (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/finished-painting-the-exterior-of-my-scamp-today-60599.html)

GROVER 1.0 08-25-2013 09:32 PM

Finished Painting the exterior of my scamp today

10 Attachment(s)
I don't like the in your face 1970s Scamp logo, so I designed my own - and got them laser cut out of reflective vinyl. IS IT WRONG OF ME TO CHANGE THE LOGO? I just hated the size and the diagonal angle it sat on....

I am the biggest idiot painter so I went with the Rustolium spay cans, and just scratched the gel coat with a light sand paper instead of a primer - works great!

Must look OK as a random stranger drove up to my front yard and asked me if I wanted to sell it... I was a little offended as I was clearly working on the trailer, but now I take it as a compliment.

Glenn Baglo 08-25-2013 09:47 PM

Less is more.

luvrOlife 08-25-2013 09:49 PM

Great Job, Brian! :aplas

I remember when you first brought the Scamp home and posted. I thought it was a good acquisition in pretty good shape....you made her a "Looker"! No wonder the passerby made an offer to buy her.

Enjoy...Enjoy!

kootenaigirl 08-25-2013 09:56 PM

Looks great, very classy.

GROVER 1.0 08-25-2013 10:47 PM

Thanks for cudos! What amazes me is that this trailer is over 20 years old, and it cleans up nicely with a little paint job , that glossy floor wax, and a good cleaning.

My wife thinks it looks like an Igloo Cooler...ha! Yes I sorta see what she is talking about, but she likes it.

Roy in TO 08-25-2013 10:54 PM

You could say these trailers are like women. A little bit of makeup tastefully applied often looks better than gawdiness.
I guess that makes you a makeup artist. Well done.

gage 08-26-2013 12:45 AM

Isnít it amazing what a fresh paint job will do? Iíve only had my Burro out of paint for a week and have had 4 people try and buy it.

Vickie B. 08-26-2013 06:48 AM

Amazing---and I love your new lettering!

jgraps1958 08-26-2013 07:13 AM

Looks great !! I like your idea with the logo, the original is to big.Thanks for telling us about your painting method,that's the way I'm going to do mine. If that makes you an idiot than I'll join you !!

Ice-breaker 08-26-2013 07:33 AM

Awesome paint job. I really really like your color selection. In fact, your trailer would look really good towed behind my truck. :) :) :)

http://www.sensethecar.com/wp-conten...olor-Brick.jpg

jwcolby54 08-26-2013 09:47 AM

I like the bottle top in the last picture. Makes the Scamp look like a toy...

carlkeigley 08-26-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo (Post 413596)
Less is more.

I totally agree!
When I dolled up my vehicles I always tried to have more by doing less.

Your trailer looks exceptionally clean and crisp.

Great job!

ShawnKK 08-26-2013 10:15 AM

Great job and from "Rustolium spay cans". How many cans did it take?Did you put a clear coat on it too?
I knew a girl that had nice paint job on her car. I asked her who did it and she said she did. I was getting ready to ask her to do mine until I got within a foot of the car and saw the hairs from the paint brush. She used a gal of house paint,lol. But it looked good from a far.

GROVER 1.0 08-26-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnKK (Post 413665)
Great job and from "Rustolium spay cans". How many cans did it take?Did you put a clear coat on it too?
I knew a girl that had nice paint job on her car. I asked her who did it and she said she did. I was getting ready to ask her to do mine until I got within a foot of the car and saw the hairs from the paint brush. She used a gal of house paint,lol. But it looked good from a far.

I think I bought 9 Spray cans, but only used 6 or 7 - not saying its a perfect paint job, but for a trailer it looks great. I would not suggest you go spray painting your car:). I also used that Red Max floor wax for the gloss coating. The white is just the fiberglass cleaned and glossed with the floor wax, with the exception of the rock shield. I had to spray paint that white because when I peeled the original decal off, it left a bright white mark in the shape of the scamp lettering because the decal protected thefiber glass from weathering/UV rays.