Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (
-   -   Roof seal for Burro (

ron s 09-25-2013 03:50 PM

Roof seal for Burro
My 1973 Burro has a trim piece that serves as a seal for the joint between the left and right halves of the fiberglass body. It runs from the bottom of the front, up across the top (front to back) and down the back side to the bottom.

The flexible trim/seal strip is made of many metal u-shaped metal pieces looking similar to a strip of Arrow brand staples. it is covered with a plastic coating.

This strip is u shaped in cross section and about 20 feet total length. The flexible strip fits over the flanged edges of the two halves which together are about 3/4 inch tall and about 1/4 inch wide.

The strip has deteriorated.

1. Do I need this strip or can I just remove it and caulk or seal the small space between the two halves. In other words, It is a seal or does it hold the two halves together?

Where can I buy this strip, or does anyone have an idea for a substitute. I haven't been able to find the seal/trim or a substitute

Thanks in advance for any info.

Thomas G. 09-25-2013 03:52 PM

It is called Trim Loc. It is more for looks than sealing. You can buy it on eBay, J.C. Whitney, various trim and seal shops on line and in your town.

Donna D. 09-25-2013 08:50 PM

Hi Ron, :welcome2: to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here! :yep

There's lots of kind and helpful people here on the forums and LOTS are Burro owners :dance

The trim piece you're talking about SHOULDN'T be sealing anything, it's strictly a "decorative" item. Looks better when new! Yep, like Tom mentioned.. that stuff is called Trim-Lok and you can find it cheaply at JC Whitney... or maybe locally (save S&H) at a boat supply or RV supply place.

mary and bob 09-25-2013 09:20 PM

Like Tom & Donna say, it's just to cover the seam, not seal it. However on our Uhaul which has the same vertical seam I did find some gaps in the seam and had some leaks, which I sealed with Proflex RV sealant. I think maybe perfect also has the trimloc. It may come in various sizes based on the gap width.

Thomas G. 09-26-2013 06:42 AM


Originally Posted by Donna D. (Post 420781)
...... that stuff is called Trim-Lok........

Thanks for the correction on the spelling. (Lok, not Loc).

Donna D. 09-26-2013 06:36 PM

Tom, Lock, Loc or Lok would probably get someone some info here on FiberglassRV and a number of places on the web too :yep

FTTRV 09-26-2013 08:45 PM

I sold out of all the Trim-Lok I had. It took 2 years to sell 250 feet. they only sell it in 250 ft.

mary and bob 09-27-2013 05:47 AM

I bought trim lok at JC Whitney, can't remember the exact length, it may have been 8 to 10 feet.

Thomas G. 09-27-2013 06:32 AM

Check out eBay: trim lok edge trim | eBay

DanandJanIdaho 09-28-2013 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My husband just replaced the trim loc on our 1981 Burro. We bought ours from the Scamp dealers. They were fast, efficient, and had it in white! We were able to purchase it by the foot.

ron s 10-03-2013 10:34 PM

thank you all for responding with good info. I found what I needed. Having a name for the stuff really made the difference.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.