Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Camping advice (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/camping-advice-64728.html)

Sid 06-10-2014 10:13 PM

Camping advice

We are beginning to plan our first trip to the Adirondacks and are wondering if anyone had a favorite campground to recommend.

Donna D. 06-10-2014 10:38 PM

I have ZERO recommendations since I'm on the opposite coast (The Pacific NorthWET). Just wanted to pop in and tell you to have a fabulous time whereve you land and make a TON of great memories.

:dance

raddar 06-10-2014 10:54 PM

I do not know how far you plan on going up- but I enjoy Hearthstone in Lake George. You have water access and a beach in the campground.

fiddlesticksfl 06-10-2014 11:06 PM

I stayed at Little Sand Point on Lake Piseco in the Adirondacks last year and loved the campground. Most sites are on the lake, bathrooms modern and clean.

Marsha D 06-11-2014 06:02 AM

We like to stay at Cranberry Lake State Park on our way through the state. Have been there three times and never disappointed. It's rustic, but the sites are private and we can always get one on the water.

mary and bob 06-11-2014 06:27 AM

We go to Fish Creek Pond every June for a teardrop rally. Just got home yesterday after 6 days there. Most sites are on the water but close together with little or nothing to separate them. Black flies, mosquitoes, and no-seeums are plentiful this time of year.

mary and bob 06-11-2014 06:41 AM

The Canadian couple that organize the teardrop rally have a great website, fishcreekpond.com. after you get there go on "campsite guide". They have taken photos of all the sites from various angles and describe each site. Go down to "other state / DEC parks in the Adirondaks" and you will find photos that they have taken of other campgrounds. There are photos they have taken of some state parks that have not been put on the website yet as he hasn't had time to do so. Every year they travel around and photograph more state parks. Not affiliated with New York State.

Sid 06-12-2014 09:25 PM

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. Part of the fun of traveling is planning your trips and this is one we want to do in the fall. Since we have never been we knew this would be the best place to seek advice. Now all we need is a rainy day to sit on the porch and research your favs!
Thanks again!

frank_a 06-13-2014 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid (Post 463814)
We are beginning to plan our first trip to the Adirondacks and are wondering if anyone had a favorite campground to recommend.

When do you plan on going Sid? I only ask because we have reservations at the North Pole Resorts at the base of Whiteface Mountain (CAMPING | NORTH POLE RESORTSNORTH POLE RESORTS) for a long July 4th weekend (5 days) and will be providing a report. I'm told it's great, if a bit pricey.

We camped for many years when the boys were younger at Lake Eaton near Long Lake (Lake Eaton - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation). It is one of our favorite campgrounds in the Adirondacks.

There are a few great parks in western NY when you're on the way. Allegany State Park (can't get their website up, but here's some info - Allegany State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It's a beautiful cross border (NY-PA) park. We're staying there this weekend, leaving noon-ish today.

Letchworth Sate Park (Letchworth State Park Information) in the Finger Lakes of western NY is awesome. Some call it the Grand Canyon of NY. We've stayed there a lot in the past and will continue to whenever we can.

Another favorite we like in the Finger Lakes is Keuka State Park at the top of Keuka Lake. It's just a beautiful place. We've stayed there many times as well.

Heed Bob's advice on small sucking bugs if you hit the Adirondacks in summer. Long pants, socks, long sleeved shirts, headnets and bug spray come in real handy!

Frank

cpaharley2008 06-13-2014 06:48 AM

We like the KOA at Lake Placid, very clean and nice CG.

Craig D. Thompson 06-13-2014 10:15 AM

I will second Letchworth Sate Park. Big sites. Beautiful walk along the stream with many water falls.

I also second Keuka Lake State Park. Stayed there many times. Also has big sites, some with great view of the lake.

If you are going through PA, consider stopping at Black Moshannon State Park. Now one of my favorite state parks.

Craig T.

Bill in Pittsburgh 06-19-2014 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid (Post 463814)

Purple Martin Campground near Lake George. With the many dozens of purple martin homes in and around the campground, it was the only place we could find where the mosquitoes were not eating us alive. The purple martins were eating them faster than they were eating us.

padlin00 06-19-2014 04:25 AM

Another for Cranberry Lake SP.

frank_a 06-19-2014 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh (Post 465293)
Purple Martin Campground near Lake George. With the many dozens of purple martin homes in and around the campground, it was the only place we could find where the mosquitoes were not eating us alive. The purple martins were eating them faster than they were eating us.

I tried "googling" Purple Mountain Campground both with Lake George and with Adirondacks, and did not come up with any campgrounds of that name. Do you have maybe a different name for it?

Thanks,

Frank