Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Modifications, Alterations and Updates (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/)
-   -   Screen for door (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/screen-for-door-71470.html)

Meghan 09-05-2015 04:34 PM

Screen for door

Has anyone used those magnetic screens that are "As Seen On TV" for their camper door?
Do you have any ideas or suggestions for a screen door?
We open and close the door so many times I think I want to just install a screen to walk through.
Ideas? Thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Timber Wolf 09-05-2015 05:27 PM

I have no experience with the screen described but have thought that one might be just the thing for the tight confines of our eggs. Try it out and let us know how it works.;)

mary and bob 09-05-2015 05:41 PM

Some Uhaul owners have done it. I believe they had to cut down the size, sew on an edge with velcro, and use adhesive type velcro on the door opening. Another owner had a canvas shop make a custom screen but it has a zipper.

Pam Garlow 09-05-2015 08:17 PM

I put a curtain rod above my door and hang a gauze curtain in the doorway. It keeps out the skeeters and flies and I don't have to close my outside door. I know people who use the magnetic screen also and like it. Just takes some modifications to make it fit.

Zennifer 09-05-2015 08:20 PM

I've been eyeing these, too. At $15 it seems worth the risk...I'm kind of waiting for my grocery store to clearance them out. :D

Brian M. in NY 09-05-2015 08:46 PM

We tried these on our house a few years back. Having a ground level basement and the main entrance a story above the ground it seemed a reasonable and cost effective solution. Imagine my surprise when I went out one morning to find an indescribable pile of who knows what - including rodent tails and parts in front of the screen curtain. Pretty obviously, a coyote with severe indigestion had lost his lunch in front of our screen curtain door. He (or she) could just have easily come inside! Since then, we have installed regular, framed screened doors and feel much more confident on warm summer nights when the "song dogs" are serenading the neighborhood.

Victor Benz 09-05-2015 09:50 PM

We have had one on our house for a few years; absolutely fantastic for daytime access in and out. Our deck threshold is about 8" above the deck, so it hangs low. Make sure to mount it fairly tight. Too tight, and the magnets won't close it, too loose and the screen gaps are huge.

My daughter's in-laws have it on their RVs and also love it. The older ones had only 9 magnet pairs, a bare minimum. The new ones have 15 pairs of magnets.

Vic

Tim from BC 09-06-2015 10:37 AM

My wife and I have tried these magnetic screens this past summer in our '73 Trillium, my wife had modified them to size, did a little sewing so there was a hem on the cut side and then taped the screens to the wall with Duct Tape. It worked well, fell down a few times but the idea was one that we could live with. We have imagined all the other possible solutions to keeping the bugs out and came back these.
Now I will make a frame out of x6 mahogany, cut and remove the insulation to get to the fiberglass and glue the boards in place. Next we'll just tack the screens in place on the boards.
We also have a small Yorkie that travels with us, these screens allow her to walk right through, in or out, when it's afternoon nap time she just goes and lays in her bed in the trailer.

donnaeb 09-06-2015 11:15 AM

They work great only if lined up perfectly. We rigged them up on our gazebo bc we got tired of using the floor to ceiling zipper.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

honda03842 09-06-2015 03:40 PM

We had one but replaced it with a home made Scamp like screen door.

We made it from DYI screen material making two window like screens about 11 inches wide connecting them together with small hinges. The screen folds flat against a cabinet. It works well.

Ian G. 09-06-2015 05:44 PM

Like Norm I had one on my Boler ... they key word being HAD.
Although it did work well, I found that they reduced the door opening size (which is already too small) because they do not open all the way to the top, at the top they are joined at the center and form a "V" which really reduces head and shoulder room.
We replaced it with the beaded curtain which works great
http://www.boler-camping.com/boler-m...-door-options/

Gilda 09-07-2015 07:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attached are partial photos of the factory-installed screen door from Scamp. (Perhaps someone else can provide better photos) As Norm said basically, it is composed of two rectangular metal (or wood) frames hinged together and covered with plastic netting. There is a knob on the end in the interior and a loop of webbing in the center as seen from the outside. It's quite easy to open and close the door one-handed. My photo shows how we attach bungee cords to keep the closet door closed in transit. The strap around the screen door keeps it in place quite well.

Byron Kinnaman 09-07-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilda (Post 546919)
Attached are partial photos of the factory-installed screen door from Scamp. (Perhaps someone else can provide better photos) As Norm said basically, it is composed of two rectangular metal (or wood) frames hinged together and covered with plastic netting. There is a knob on the end in the interior and a loop of webbing in the center as seen from the outside. It's quite easy to open and close the door one-handed. My photo shows how we attach bungee cords to keep the closet door closed in transit. The strap around the screen door keeps it in place quite well.

I see bungee cords, but where's the silver duct tape?

Donna D. 09-08-2015 06:00 AM

Gilda, why the bungees? The screen door on my 1988 Scamp and the strap, it's never come undone during travel in all the years I've owned it. Is the snap loose on yours?