Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Old Suburban Furnace Thermostat Question? (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/old-suburban-furnace-thermostat-question-71545.html)

SteveV 09-09-2015 06:43 PM

Old Suburban Furnace Thermostat Question?
 
1 Attachment(s)
I finally brought our "new" 72 Amerigo home that we bought last Dec & I'm now testing/checking all of the appliances.
The furnace is the original Suburban model S-11-TA with a built in mechanical style thermostat. After lighting the pilot light I let it run for a few minutes and tried setting the thermostat down to it's lowest (coolest) position but the heat didn't shut off. Are these older style units just slow to respond to setting changes? It was close to 90 degrees outside here today & I didn't have much patience to babysit a furnace kicking an extra 11,000 BTU's my way.
Thanks!

Bob Miller 09-09-2015 06:56 PM

There is usually a built in delay to keep the fan running to exhaust excesses heat. An easy way to check the thermostat is to simply disconnect one of the thermostats wires to turn it off and see what happens.

Some thermostats have an additional ON-Off switch. Any inexpensive household thermostat at the local hardware store will usually do the trick as a replacement.


But, keep in mind that you are working with a 40+ year old gas furnace and I suggest that, at the very least, you have a furnace tech check it out for operation, safety and any possibility of leaks. They can kill.




SteveV 09-09-2015 07:00 PM

Bob, this unit has no fan, just a burner w/no electrical connections. Definitely old school technology here.

I plan on having my furnace guy check it for CO output. Thanks!

steve dunham 09-09-2015 07:05 PM

Are you sure that the control shown in your picture isn't the high limit . Normally the thermostat is located in the conditioned air space.

SteveV 09-09-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve dunham (Post 547370)
Are you sure that the control shown in your picture isn't the high limit . Normally the thermostat is located in the conditioned air space.

No remote thermostat or wires running from this unit, just the heat dial below the on-pilot-off valve. The heat dial is numbered in increments 1 thru 9 with "warmer" and a counterclockwise arrow on it.

Bob Miller 09-09-2015 07:27 PM

All the more reason to pull it out and get it checked out at a furnace shop. Again it can kill.......




steve dunham 09-09-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveV (Post 547371)
No remote thermostat or wires running from this unit, just the heat dial below the on-pilot-off valve.

The reason I asked is that the furnace is required to have a high limit safety control
The high limit is designed to stop over temp in the furnace not to control the ambient temp in the trailer (Manual Reset) The air temp in the trailer could get to 100 degrees and not trip the high limit. Having to go outside ,and remove a cover to set the thermostat is not a normal mode of operation . You do not need power to have thermostatically controlled heat.
How would the stat as shown control indoor air temp unless it is located in the return air flow?

SteveV 09-09-2015 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by steve dunham (Post 547374)
The reason I asked is that the furnace is required to have a high limit safety control
The high limit is designed to stop over temp in the furnace not to control the ambient temp in the trailer (Manual Reset) The air temp in the trailer could get to 100 degrees and not trip the high limit. Having to go outside ,and remove a cover to set the thermostat is not a normal mode of operation . You do not need power to have thermostatically controlled heat.
How would the stat as shown control indoor air temp unless it is located in the return air flow?

Steve, The picture is of the valve and is on the inside of the camper. This furnace is mounted just inside the door next to the stove. I'm sure it's not a precise temperature control system.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.