Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Lost my scamp 19 to fire. (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/lost-my-scamp-19-to-fire-72584.html)

Heath G. 11-30-2015 08:01 AM

Lost my scamp 19 to fire.
 
5 Attachment(s)
Well the bad is we lost our 19 foot scamp 5th wheel to a devastating fire. Nothing but frame rails left. The good, I have a fiberglass truck bed camper that I have never seen on the forum. Now I have a reason to start the restore on it. It is called a Ford American Roads. It was made by starcraft for 1 year only. 1973. Less that one thousand made. Here are a few pics. I am lucky and have found all the original paperwork and manual

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

global2edg 11-30-2015 10:00 AM

One door closes, another opens! Great project. Be sure to take before & after photos.

Jody Himebaugh 11-30-2015 10:12 AM

Sorry for your loss, but happy for your gain. What an awesome find!

Have fun during what I'm certain is going to be an enjoyable restoration.

frank_a 11-30-2015 10:21 AM

I lost a tremendous amount of "things" when our pole barn went up in flames the middle of the night over Memorial Day weekend. Almost lost both the house and the egg, but our 15# schnoodle woke us up and saved the day.

Frank

Darrin S 11-30-2015 03:16 PM

That's awesome looking!

Johnny M 11-30-2015 05:40 PM

Very nice find, from the measurements on the floor plan it looks like you got a lot more room in that thing than we do in our 13' Boler! Just curious, how much does that sucker weigh?

Heath G. 11-30-2015 05:45 PM

The manual that came with it says 2,900 pounds. I do not have a truck large enough to use as a truck bed camper so I am going to build a custom double axle trailer for is and use the space under the front bed and enclose it for a huge storage area for table chairs and coolers. At least that is the plan for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Jack L 11-30-2015 05:57 PM

There is some information on the internet that indicates the Ford American Road units were extremely well built high end units. You have a real gem there.

Heath G. 11-30-2015 06:06 PM

Thanks Jack L. I have registered mine on the ford American road page a gentleman started. A few of use have done so. And yes they say they were way ahead of the times for 73. Mine is number 617 or close to it, I forget the exact number right now. But thay is out of only a thousand or so built. Only one year. I can tell you dor sure the shell is built like a tank. No cracks or spider webbing anywhere that I can see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

anne myette 11-30-2015 08:46 PM

Truck camper
 
How great is this camper! It takes the sting out of your loss I hope, especially if you had insurance. Enjoy!

Alf S. 11-30-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath G. (Post 561101)
The manual that came with it says 2,900 pounds. I do not have a truck large enough to use as a truck bed camper so I am going to build a custom double axle trailer for is and use the space under the front bed and enclose it for a huge storage area for table chairs and coolers. At least that is the plan for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Hi: Heath G... Sorry about the Scamp. Fire is final... but seems you're onto phase two already!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie:wave

Borrego Dave 11-30-2015 10:52 PM

Sorry to hear about the 19 Heath. What caused the fire? I put a small cabover on a truckbed trailer long ago. It worked out fine and your cargo trailer is a lot lower than the set up I had.

stude 12-01-2015 12:04 AM

those are quite common in British Columbia
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath G. (Post 561021)
Well the bad is we lost our 19 foot scamp 5th wheel to a devastating fire. Nothing but frame rails left. The good, I have a fiberglass truck bed camper that I have never seen on the forum. Now I have a reason to start the restore on it. It is called a Ford American Roads. It was made by starcraft for 1 year only. 1973. Less that one thousand made. Here are a few pics. I am lucky and have found all the original paperwork and manual

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

: maybe not that make but quite a few companies build almost alike that one. One needs a 34 to 1 ton truck to carry all that weight, to hard on a half ton or short box.
Stude

Heath G. 12-01-2015 04:56 AM

Hi Alf. Nice to hear from you and thanks. Going to take a ton of work but should be worth it. I think the worst part was lost all my hunting gear that my wife got me for our anniversary. But it is all just stuff. We had it parked at a family friends hunting cabin. The cabin had a chimney fire that started on a day the wind was blowing around 50 mph. Blew the flame right over the camper. Lost the cabin amd the camper in one shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Heath G. 12-01-2015 04:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is a before and after of the camper fire

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Roy in TO 12-01-2015 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath G. (Post 561101)
I do not have a truck large enough to use as a truck bed camper so I am going to build a custom double axle trailer...

Heath, sorry to hear of your loss.

If you are building a custom trailer, why not consider making it a 5th wheel type. Your first picture

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...2&d=1448891960

Almost had me thinking of the Quantum5 posted here.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/i...26527/3355.jpg

Is there anything salvageable off the old Scamp frame? Even to use as a template/guide?

Heath G. 12-01-2015 08:55 AM

Yes the front part of the frame that would go under the bed with the hitch on it and the legs that crank up and down are all still good I am thinking about doing just that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

stude 12-01-2015 12:34 PM

Heath I sure hope it was insured.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath G. (Post 561173)
Hi Alf. Nice to hear from you and thanks. Going to take a ton of work but should be worth it. I think the worst part was lost all my hunting gear that my wife got me for our anniversary. But it is all just stuff. We had it parked at a family friends hunting cabin. The cabin had a chimney fire that started on a day the wind was blowing around 50 mph. Blew the flame right over the camper. Lost the cabin amd the camper in one shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

: this is when insurance is so important but most people think it will never happen to me and Voila look what happened.
Same thing for People who live in apartments they get out but the rest of their belongings don't and they did not buy the $300 a year package insurance deal.
Stude

Heath G. 12-01-2015 12:51 PM

Well unfortunately, it was parked at the cabin all year so didn't think I needed insurance because it would have been covered under home owner if this were to happen. Never thought the homeowners woukd not have had ins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Jack L 12-01-2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath G. (Post 561224)
Well unfortunately, it was parked at the cabin all year so didn't think I needed insurance because it would have been covered under home owner if this were to happen. Never thought the homeowners woukd not have had ins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Sadly insurance on rural properties that are a long way away from emergency services can be very expensive because the remoteness adds to the risk. I have met people in rural Idaho and Alaska with properties that have no fire insurance. The premium would be about half the market value of the structure or more per year, because it would take well over an hour for the fire department to arrive. In both cases the property owners asked us to be very careful around the property. I Like being in remote places but the risk of fire, injury and bears is always on m mind. I'm sorry for your loss. In reality it could happen to any of us.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.