Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Scamp rear jack problems (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/scamp-rear-jack-problems-73892.html)

ASW 03-23-2016 01:53 PM

Scamp rear jack problems

I'm finding it difficult to raise and lower the rear stabilizing jacks on my new
13 foot Scamp. Has anyone found a remedy or is it better to get new jacks?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Ann

MRClaus 03-23-2016 02:04 PM

how old are the jacks

steve dunham 03-23-2016 02:12 PM

The rear stabilizer on my Scamp were binding and difficult to deploy due to rust and dirt . I disassembled the stabilizers ,then cleaned , sanded , primed and painted them .They then worked well right up to the time I sold the trailer .Spraying them with penetrating oil may also help.

ASW 03-23-2016 02:13 PM

Scamp rear jacks

Scamp was new last summer.

ASW 03-23-2016 02:16 PM

Thanks Steve. That's probably beyond my pay grade.

piperjim 03-23-2016 03:03 PM

Scamp rear jack

WD-40 worked for me. Give the jacks a good spray anywhere they move, and hit both the inside and outside of the jack. Then "work" them so the spray gets moved around. This might solve your problem, and should be an annual maintenance item.

Triker 03-23-2016 03:16 PM

Jim is right, as the new Scamp Manual, page 4, says: It is a good idea to lubricate with WD40 or similar lubricate (sic) occasionally.

I like the new spring-loaded rear bumper jacks as they are very easy and quick to set up and put away.

SactoWendy 03-23-2016 03:20 PM

I got so sick of fighting with my rear stabilizers. I bought new ones for $29 and life is easy again. On Amazon...
Camco 44560 Olympian Aluminum Stack Jack Stand - 4 pack

floyd 03-23-2016 03:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
BAL stabilizers were the solution for us, much more stable and easier to deploy. They ad an extra frame member as well and they are strong enough to lift the trailer to change a tire or service the brakes.

Byron Kinnaman 03-23-2016 05:13 PM

WD40 or one of the high tech lubricants worked for me. I'm not sure what movement you're have trouble with. The swing down/swing up will be difficult if the extend/retract of the foot is extended. The foot will bind with trailer body. I find that on rough roads they will sometimes extend. Then I have release the retract lever and push the foot part back in so that it clears the trailer body.

tractors1 03-23-2016 06:52 PM

Unload the pressure off the jacks by lowering the tongue first. When setting up, after leveling, I drop the tongue just a bit maybe 1/8th inch at most), lower my jacks to the ground, and raise the tongue back up again.

Byron Kinnaman 03-23-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tractors1 (Post 577771)
Unload the pressure off the jacks by lowering the tongue first. When setting up, after leveling, I drop the tongue just a bit maybe 1/8th inch at most), lower my jacks to the ground, and raise the tongue back up again.

I almost the same thing. But I use the level to lower about 1/2 bubble low in the front, then deploy the stabilizers, then bring the front back up to level. This puts enough pressure on the stabilizers for them to work properly.

gordon2 03-24-2016 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman (Post 577793)
...I use the level to lower about 1/2 bubble low in the front, then deploy the stabilizers, then bring the front back up to level. This puts enough pressure on the stabilizers for them to work properly.

I've done it the same way many times but I don't recommend it in many cases. You need a pretty good "feel" for how far to crank the tongue jack. There is less margin for error and if the ground is not level at the back of the trailer (from side to side) then the pressure on the jacks will not be the same. The one that is on higher ground will be "tighter" and more likely to get damaged.

IMHO you dont even need to put pressure on the stabilizer jacks, just drop them so they make contact with the ground (or wood block, etc.) and they will be OK. Yes, the trailer might feel a little firmer if there is a little pressure on the jacks but it will be stable enough and not tilt backwards if the jacks only touch the ground with no pressure on them. I don't mind a little bounce in the camper.. thats my idea of roughing it but YMMV. I usually do it this way and usually can bring the jacks back up with no tools and without dropping the tongue.

PS to Floyd.. re "BAL stabilizers were the solution for us, much more stable and easier to deploy."

Interesting.. I had these on my pop-up and no way I would say they are easier, unless of course you are comparing to Scamp style jacks that are sticking or non-functioning. But the Scamp style is easier when they are working right. Plus you need the crank, and I could never remember where I left it. No tools needed for the Scamp Jacks. But when mine start to age and rust, I might be on board with the BAL style.

Darral T. 03-24-2016 07:39 AM

Ann...I'm taking it that you're having trouble with the little rod and getting it to line up to the right holes????? These ARE the worst jacks (actually for the Scamp they're "stabilizers" and not jacks) that I've ever used. I nearly broke one the first night I set up camp after leaving Backus. The old jerk they had showing us our Scamp when it was new didnt want to nor did he take the time to teach me how to use some of the stuff. All he wanted to do was get us out of there. :mad:

IF you continue to use these, you'll just have to practice lining up the rod through holes, push the rod down to jack it up, then you'll have to find another hole as it's raised if you move very much. The trick with these are, level your Scamp FIRST, THEN deploy these stabilizer jacks by putting slight pressure on them to stop the Scamp from rocking. That way, you shouldnt have to readjust the rod. I simply tap the release tab on the jacks to release them and raise them up.

One thing to keep in mind, ALWAYS use at least one when you're setting up camp or you could find your Scamp popping a wheelie! :eek:

Maybe this will help a little.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASW (Post 577723)
I'm finding it difficult to raise and lower the rear stabilizing jacks on my new
13 foot Scamp. Has anyone found a remedy or is it better to get new jacks?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Ann