Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f72/)
-   -   Wheel Bearing question (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f72/wheel-bearing-question-74783.html)

Sohkraites 05-20-2016 11:16 AM

Wheel Bearing question

When we rebuilt our trailer, we put a brand new Dexter torsion axle under it. We then took the trailer on its first trip to Florida (about 5,500 miles round trip) and then a shorter trip of about 1,000 miles round trip.

We're just about ready to go on a second trip to Florida and I'm just checking to make sure we don't have any issues.

When should I pull the hubs and repack the grease? Is it overdue and did I mess up?

Thanks in advance!

gordon2 05-20-2016 11:20 AM

If you didn't get an owners manual with your new axle then they are available online. Being new, you can protect your warranty by following the instructions that Dexter specifies.

Sohkraites 05-20-2016 11:24 AM

Thanks, Gordon. I never got the manual. I went to Dexter and found that it's 12 months or 12,000 miles. I'll give the bearings a good check then before we head out on this trip. :)

Thanks!

Byron Kinnaman 05-20-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sohkraites (Post 588374)
Thanks, Gordon. I never got the manual. I went to Dexter and found that it's 12 months or 12,000 miles. I'll give the bearings a good check then before we head out on this trip. :)

Thanks!

That doesn't mean squirting grease in them You need to remove the bearings, clean and inspect them, repack, replace the inner seal, and replace them.

Sohkraites 05-20-2016 11:34 AM

Byron -- I'm very much aware of all that a "check" entails. I know it's a messy business and involves more than just pulling a dust cap and squirting grease. I just didn't know if I had to do it YET. :) I think I will. Just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!
Tony

Glenn Baglo 05-20-2016 11:38 AM

Just to be on the safe side, nobody should advise you not to check them.

Byron Kinnaman 05-20-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sohkraites (Post 588377)
Byron -- I'm very much aware of all that a "check" entails. I know it's a messy business and involves more than just pulling a dust cap and squirting grease. I just didn't know if I had to do it YET. :) I think I will. Just to be on the safe side.

Thanks!
Tony

Sorry to insult your intelligence.
One should remember that this is a public forum and not a you me conversation. Others are listening. As such it's always a good idea to be perfectly clear on such things so that those that don't have the knowledge don't make big mistakes.
Thanks for bringing up the subject.

FYI Here Dexter's maintenance schedule. http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...e_Schedule.pdf

Enjoy traveling.

Sohkraites 05-20-2016 12:40 PM

Byron...no offense taken. :) It's all good. I just wanted to figure out when it needed to be done. :)

floyd 05-20-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman (Post 588376)
That doesn't mean squirting grease in them You need to remove the bearings, clean and inspect them, repack, replace the inner seal, and replace them.

I am a believer in the utility and effectiveness of EZ-LUBE, and my experience confirms it.
However I think it is important to hand repack the bearings on a new axle to be certain that they are packed and adjusted correctly.

Is it your opinion that the manufacturer would design and sell EZ-LUBE as an intentional fraud and sales gimmick knowing that it is useless?
Also why replace a new seal if you know how to remove and inspect them without damage?^_^

Sohkraites 05-20-2016 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman (Post 588379)
Sorry to insult your intelligence.
One should remember that this is a public forum and not a you me conversation. Others are listening. As such it's always a good idea to be perfectly clear on such things so that those that don't have the knowledge don't make big mistakes.
Thanks for bringing up the subject.

FYI Here Dexter's maintenance schedule. http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...e_Schedule.pdf

Enjoy traveling.

Byron -- This is absolutely perfect!!! THANK YOU! This is going to go IN the trailer today! :)

Thanks!

Tony

Byron Kinnaman 05-20-2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floyd (Post 588393)
I am a believer in the utility and effectiveness of EZ-LUBE, and my experience confirms it.
However I think it is important to hand repack the bearings on a new axle to be certain that they are packed and adjusted correctly.

Is it your opinion that the manufacturer would design and sell EZ-LUBE as an intentional fraud and sales gimmick knowing that it is useless?
Also why replace a new seal if you know how to remove and inspect them without damage?^_^

I guess that some people believe that a feature is included and therefore must be used. I look at the EZ-LUBE and an added feature that I don't really need. I put a lot of miles on my trailer every year. So far this year it's been over 8,000 miles. I gave up doing these kind of tasks several years ago and hire it done. It's done annually along with brake inspection and adjustment. My trailer has lots of miles so this works for me. Not everybody sees it the same way, and you're welcome to do what ever you want to.

floyd 05-20-2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman (Post 588397)
I guess that some people believe that a feature is included and therefore must be used. I look at the EZ-LUBE and an added feature that I don't really need. I put a lot of miles on my trailer every year. So far this year it's been over 8,000 miles. I gave up doing these kind of tasks several years ago and hire it done. It's done annually along with brake inspection and adjustment. My trailer has lots of miles so this works for me. Not everybody sees it the same way, and you're welcome to do what ever you want to.

So IYHO it is an added feature. Should I infer from that that you believe it has a purpose, but one for which you have no need?

I seriously doubt that I would choose to repack every year even if there were no such thing as EZ-LUBE.
One thing I learned as a fleet mechanic was that best practices and manufacturer's schedules are often at odds.

Dan Meyer 05-20-2016 04:17 PM

Grease Contamination

The only remotely possible problem would be water in the grease, and by extension, the bearings.

If it were me, I would hitch up the trailer, and drive a mile and check hub temperature. I would drive another mile and check it again. Then I would go 3-4 miles at highway speed and check it, then maybe 10 or 20 miles and check the temperatures. Do this on a Saturday afternoon when it is not critical, not as part of the first few miles of a vacation.

One other option, if you are so inclined, would be to pull the hubs and inspect for water contamination in the grease.

Ask yourself this: How often do you worry about the wheel bearings on your tow vehicle?

--Dan Meyer :steer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sohkraites (Post 588372)
When we rebuilt our trailer, we put a brand new Dexter torsion axle under it. We then took the trailer on its first trip to Florida (about 5,500 miles round trip) and then a shorter trip of about 1,000 miles round trip.

We're just about ready to go on a second trip to Florida and I'm just checking to make sure we don't have any issues.

When should I pull the hubs and repack the grease? Is it overdue and did I mess up?

Thanks in advance!

Raz 05-21-2016 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floyd (Post 588404)
One thing I learned as a fleet mechanic was that best practices and manufacturer's schedules are often at odds.

If it fails under warranty I'm sure they will understand.