Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   1981 12' Dolphin TT Moving Battery to Tongue (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f95/1981-12-dolphin-tt-moving-battery-to-tongue-77778.html)

rspainhower 12-09-2016 11:13 AM

1981 12' Dolphin TT Moving Battery to Tongue

I am wanting to move my battery to the tongue from the forward compartment hatch for more storage room and better battery ventilation, the battery cables that were existing are just cheap looking cables with the 3/8 hole ends. I bought a battery box and need to mount it to the tongue. My question is should I use a specific type of battery cable for going to the outside on the tongue? any suggestions?

Larry,C 12-09-2016 12:04 PM

Nice heavy gage jumper cables will work. Just cut the clamps off and put connectors on.

ckayaker 12-10-2016 10:04 AM

I have considered using jumper cables for this as well, but noticed no other trailers use such heavy wire. In fact most seem to use #10 wire from tongue to interior distribution box and put in a fuse on the positive wire near the battery. Would this not be sufficient given the relatively low amperage draw?

Borden 12-10-2016 11:13 AM

Battery pwr connection

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckayaker (Post 619380)
I have considered using jumper cables for this as well, but noticed no other trailers use such heavy wire. In fact most seem to use #10 wire from tongue to interior distribution box and put in a fuse on the positive wire near the battery. Would this not be sufficient given the relatively low amperage draw?

Agree the pwr at trailer plug from our car to trailer is an #8 both sides but #10 should work as well, is is a very flexible wire used also Yellow connection is to the back up lights at car, looking for a light that will go well with our standard cake lights at back will mount just below brake lights

WaltP 12-10-2016 11:13 AM

First I've heard of the Dolphin TT.
Got any pics to share?

Walt

Borden 12-10-2016 11:29 AM

Battery pwr connection

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckayaker (Post 619380)

Agree the pwr at trailer plug from our car to trailer is an #8 both sides but #10 should work as well, is is a very flexible wire used also Yellow connection is to the back up lights at car, looking for a light that will go well with our standard cake lights at back will mount just below brake lights back up lights will be great to have.

Larry,C 12-10-2016 11:33 AM

With DC current the ideal situation is for the batteries to be connected as close together as possible with the least resistance as possible i.e.. bigger wire. My opinion is that the farther the batteries are apart the bigger the wire you should use to maximize your ability to keep a balanced charge on both. Without knowing how you are charging these batteries and where the charger is located it is hard to make a recommendation. If you ever plan to use an inverter especially a large one you should use larger wire and fuse accordingly.

Borden 12-10-2016 11:36 AM

Just sent a message to air works about the 12 v air unit

WaltP 12-10-2016 11:53 AM

Larry
I believe he has a single battery on that trailer. But I still like the idea of using #8 wire to minimize resistance.

Walt

Larry,C 12-10-2016 01:44 PM

My mistake. I thought he was adding a second battery