Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Modifications To Your Trailer You Wish You NEVER DID! (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/modifications-to-your-trailer-you-wish-you-never-did-85192.html)

vintageracer 05-21-2018 04:56 PM

Modifications To Your Trailer You Wish You NEVER DID!

Tell us all about the Modifications You Made to Your Fiberglass Trailer or Aftermarket Products You Installed on Your Fiberglass Trailer That You Wish You NEVER DID and want everyone to LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES OR LAUGH AT YOU for doing it in the First Damn Place!

It's never too late for all of us to learn from "Your" Mistakes!

charlsara 05-21-2018 09:01 PM

We are pretty happy with all of ours. And we have done several.

Johnny M 05-22-2018 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlsara (Post 698436)
We are pretty happy with all of ours. And we have done several.

while I am very happy with the way our 1971 Boler renovation turned out with the addition of a wetbath, permanent rear bed and street side bunk it was a huge chore that last over 2 years to complete. we love it and use the shower ever trip but due to the amount of work involved in engineering the whole thing, the labor involved and overall cost including wasted materials I am not so sure I would do it again under the same circumstances.

honda03842 05-22-2018 05:33 AM

The item I would not do again is add the air conditioner. WE rarely use it. I just asked my wife and all she could talk about was the ositives. SHe likes the added storage of 6 drawers and 7 overhead cabinets.

As for positive directions our next renovation will focus on adding 3 more drawers and making existing space more usable, for example dividing the bread storage area into two levels. If you're interested in the new modes you can follow them under Preparing a 1991 Scamp under modifications.

A good part will be making initial modifications better. Over 7 years of use, one learns of potential improvements, plus some things, after 27 years are simply wearing and need replacement.

Jon in AZ 05-22-2018 07:08 AM

I would not have added the rear receiver to our Scamp. It is not the best place to carry bikes and adds approximately 60# of its own weight in addition to rack and bikes.

gordon2 05-22-2018 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon in AZ (Post 698478)
I would not have added the rear receiver to our Scamp. It is not the best place to carry bikes and adds a lot of its own weight.

Is that a mod YOU did or a factory option you wish you did not get? (Sounds like the topic is user mods)....

But in either case, I agree that I would not get the rear hitch receiver if the intent is to carry bikes or cargo. However I am glad I got it.. it works well to hold a antenna mast while parked.

For the most part I am happy with all the mods I have done. I attribute this to two things.

1. I give serious thought to any changes and spend time in the camper do "what ifs."
2. I do my best to make any mods 100% reversible, or as close to it as I can.

I have changed some of the electrical mods that did not work as intended. A TV antenna amplifier was installed and then removed. Also a cheap USB charger created so much radio interference as well as a small phantom load that I replaced it with a 12 volt outlet, and I use a USB charger that plugs into the 12 volt outlet when I need to charge something.

Timber Wolf 05-22-2018 08:05 AM

I really like the Truckfridge I installed in my old Scamp replacing the non-functional 3-way. However, if I had "a do over" I would not install the largest Truckfridge but the medium one instead. I would in addition to the smaller Truckfridge buy a really good cooler or even better, a portable 12V fridge (Truckfridge makes/labels one). This would help avoid the massive cold dump every time I open the fridge door just for myself or the kid to get a cold drink*. The cooler/fridge would be for drinks and lunch stuff and be handy to carry in the truck (running off the truck battery) when away from camp. The portable fridge has the added benefit of being able to be turned down cold enough to be a freezer for extended boodocking.

*I noticed while camping this past weekend my daughter was in and out of the fridge many times getting her water bottle. I also found the door hanging open twice where she failed to get it shut. This plays heck with keeping a fridge cold in near 90 degree weather. Yes, this is operator error and should be corrected with training. But when was the last time you tried to tell a 14 year old something?:hmm

Rzrbrn 05-22-2018 12:38 PM

There is an elite thread asking this question, you may want to read it.
I have about all the mods done and bought the Casita Spirit with all options.
Only thing I might not do again is the Overtank platform. Well built and sturdy, and holds the Honda 3000 nicely, but next time will get 2 Honda 2000and keep them in the bed of the truck. . Sometimes I like it sometimes not.

Jon in AZ 05-22-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon2 (Post 698481)
Is that a mod YOU did or a factory option you wish you did not get? (Sounds like the topic is user mods)...
...Also a cheap USB charger created so much radio interference as well as a small phantom load that I replaced it with a 12 volt outlet, and I use a USB charger that plugs into the 12 volt outlet when I need to charge something.

It is a mod I did. My (used) Scamp did not have the receiver, so I ordered the kit from Scamp and had a local welder install it.

That was before I joined the forum, or I might have gotten some good advice against it, or at least a referral to the OMW bolt-on receiver, which I could now remove and resell, rather than the welded-on dead weight I now have at the back.

I might still put it to use for a small, lightweight plastic cargo box to carry the lightweight plastic chocks and levelers that now take up floor space inside the trailer. But 60# of steel to carry a 15# cargo box isn't exactly efficient!

You may have helped me avoid another false step with your comment about USB vs. 12V outlets. I definitely want to avoid phantom loads. Something to discuss with my electrician.

gordon2 05-22-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon in AZ (Post 698541)
It is a mod I did. My (used) Scamp did not have the receiver, so I ordered the kit from Scamp and had a local welder install it.

That was before I joined the forum, or I might have gotten some good advice against it, or at least a referral to the OMW bolt-on receiver, which I could now remove and resell, rather than the welded-on dead weight I now have at the back.

I might still put it to use for a small, lightweight plastic cargo box to carry the lightweight plastic chocks and levelers that now take up floor space inside the trailer. But 60# of steel to carry a 15# cargo box isn't exactly efficient!

You may have helped me avoid another false step with your comment about USB vs. 12V outlets. I definitely want to avoid phantom loads. Something to discuss with my electrician.

Welders can cut off with their torch also ya know ;)

To be honest, I has the USB charger on a switch, and a master battery switch, so the phantom load was not really an issue. I jut found that the plug in chargers seem to emit less RFI. I could have found a better USB charger, or tried to filter it, but it was easier just to go to a multi-function 12 volt outlet. I also have Anderson Power Poles that can supply up to 30 amps (Ham radio or inverter).

Jon in AZ 05-22-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon2 (Post 698560)
Welders can cut off with their torch also ya know ;)

To be honest, I has the USB charger on a switch, and a master battery switch, so the phantom load was not really an issue. I jut found that the plug in chargers seem to emit less RFI. I could have found a better USB charger, or tried to filter it, but it was easier just to go to a multi-function 12 volt outlet. I also have Anderson Power Poles that can supply up to 30 amps (Ham radio or inverter).

Right! I'm not sure I want a cutting torch that close to the epoxy-coated OSB floor of the Scamp, though... :omy It was dicey enough welding it on. I guess I could leave the extra frame crossmember in place and just cut off the receiver part for a savings of some weight. But I've already spent enough money on that hunk of metal! :D

Thanks for the information about the charging station. I don't do electrical, but it will help me talk intelligently with my tech.

k corbin 05-22-2018 07:45 PM

I will have to live in it full time for a while to know what I regret having done or not done. But some of the mods are a lot of work so while in the process of creating them I sometimes find myself regret starting them which is not quite the same thing as wishing I did not complete the mods.

Dan Meyer 05-22-2018 09:27 PM

I installed a 12 volt outlet above the side dinette in my 16 foot. I don't regret doing it, but I don't use it near as much as I figured I would.

--Dan Meyer :steer
scamp.n0kfb.org

David Tilston 05-23-2018 09:42 PM

I love the question. I have been very disappointed in my self, that I have failed to come up with a good example. I mean, I have done stuff to Trilliums. Lots of stuff. But reviewing my memories, by the camp fire, (out of course, it's a week day). I remembered this post. Though not a modification exaclty, more a repair:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post472351

Totally wasted effort on four of five windows. Really good thread though.