Fiberglass RV

Fiberglass RV (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   New Tacoma / 5th wheel hitch (http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/new-tacoma-5th-wheel-hitch-86094.html)

dcs02d 07-19-2018 08:50 AM

New Tacoma / 5th wheel hitch

I've got a Scamp 5th wheel coming in April of Next year.

I'm looking at the Toyota Tacoma SR with the access cab to get as a tow vehicle. Probably the 4 cylinder that is rated for towing 3500lbs.

It looks like the truck bed itself is now made out of a composite material.

Has anyone had the 5th wheel (I know it's not REALLY a 5th wheel ;) hitch installed in a new tacoma with the short bed? Will it work?

Thanks for the help.

MlDierbeck 07-19-2018 09:03 AM

I bet that it would but when we asked, Toyota stated that that would invalidate out warranty.

dcs02d 07-19-2018 09:09 AM

ugh... I like that little 4 cylinder but I can't get a clear answer on the composite bed.

ZachO 07-19-2018 09:19 AM

Not sure about the most current Toyota engines, but at least for a while there the V6s were the better engines, by far. Historically the 4 cylinders were always best and were all I ever wanted to own, and the first V6 they made for pickups, the 3.0, was a bit of a dud by Toyota standards.

For reasons that don't matter to this thread, I reluctantly bought a 98 with a V6, the 3.4. It's without a doubt the best engine Toyota ever made up to that point. Like I said I don't know about the newer engines, but people are getting 400,000 miles with no major repairs out of this V6. I'm at 240,000. Only routine maintenance so far. Original clutch but that's another thing.

Anyway...you've really got to watch the payload limit on Toyotas. I don't have any input on the composite bed.

Just wanted to say don't write off the V6!

Dennis mn 07-19-2018 09:20 AM

It can be done, I think you need to drill through the composite, and fasten the Reese rails to the frame with brackets provided. My previous tow vehicle was an earlier Tacoma with a metal bed. I mounted the old style hitch directly to the floor. That led to a bit of uncomfortable movement when towing. With my Frontier, I have fastened the hitch to the frame, and it feels much more secure. The short box should be of no issue. I have had quad cabs with 5 beds, and the work just fine.

Jack L 07-19-2018 11:30 AM

I have seen a 5th wheel hitch in a Tacoma and pulling a Scamp 19. It worked well. The Tacoma had 4WD a TRD Off Road package and the V6. The hitch was custom built and consisted of a steel plate that covered the composite bed and was bolted to the frame by drilling thru the steel plate and using the same holes as the composite bed used. I would certainly consider this set up with my 07 Tacoma 4x4, but I personally would not be comfortable with the 4 cylinder engine.

dcs02d 07-19-2018 11:49 AM

Hrmm... maybe the frontier is a better option. Or perhaps I should wait and see what the ford ranger ends up looking like.

bertherr 07-19-2018 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would not pull the Scamp 5th wheel with a 4 cylinder Tacoma. I had a V-8 Tundra and in the mountains you really needed it.

You can mount the hitch to the frame by using the bolt locations that mount the bed to the frame. Others have done this in their Tacoma's I did it in my Tundra. There are descriptions & pictures in the Yahoo Scamp user group site. I'll try to attach a picture here. You could do this with the old or new style hitch. Good luck.

dcs02d 07-19-2018 02:07 PM

The trailer shop in town said they won't install that hitch in any tacoma or any short bed truck for that matter.

Scamp says it's fine. It's not something I want to do myself.

Considering buying the truck in Minneapolis... flying up and having scamp install the darn hitch.

BarbinBC 07-19-2018 03:12 PM

4 cyl Tacoma Tow

If I were you I would reconsider buying a 4 cyl. as your tow for the 5th wheel. Yes, the tow capacity is 3500 lbs. but will only be a satisfactory vehicle if you are always driving on the flat land! I have a 4 cyl. Tacoma and tow a Trillium Outback 13 ft. and it's really not enough even with a standard transmission. I had the truck before I purchased the trailer otherwise I would have gone with the 6 cyl.:reye2

dcs02d 07-19-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbinBC (Post 708144)
.... will only be a satisfactory vehicle if you are always driving on the flat land!

So that is exactly the case :)

I live in Florida and for the next 5 years or so I'm limited in my radius of travel (kids are not quite out of the house yet!) so all my time is spent on trips that are +/- about 300 feet in elevation.

The local hitch guy seems adamant he won't install that hitch in anything that is not a full size truck with a long bed.

I'm becoming convinced it's fine in that little Tacoma assuming the hitch is bolted to the frame below.

I'm just not 100% sure if

- that is possible

- I can find someone to do that install for me

steve dunham 07-19-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcs02d (Post 708136)
The trailer shop in town said they won't install that hitch in any tacoma or any short bed truck for that matter.

Scamp says it's fine. It's not something I want to do myself.

Considering buying the truck in Minneapolis... flying up and having scamp install the darn hitch.

My local hitch shop would not mount a 5th wheel hitch on my Ram 1500 because Ram says the truck is not rated for 5th wheel towing
The problem is not that they can’t install a hitch it’s more of a legal liability and warranty issue
I think the 4 cylinder engine is a poor choice but it’s not my vehicle .

ShelbyM 07-19-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcs02d (Post 708149)
- I can find someone to do that install for me

Give him a few dollars and agree to hold his beer, Bubba will fix you right up. Be sure to post the video!

Civilguy 07-19-2018 05:05 PM

Don,

This issue about the hitch sounds similar to the situation I encountered when we were considering an Escape 5.0TA and a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon diesel truck last year. Chevy / GM 'took exception' to mounting a hitch in the bed; I don't recall how strong their language was. However, I believe that the owners who were doing so were generally happy with the results.

There's a range of terms used when manufacturers address aftermarket accessories, from not specifically recommending them to issuing stronger language specifically recommending against their use. There are a number of threads on the subject on various forums, with broadly varying opinions posted as to what impact this might have on the new truck's warranty.

You might download manuals and contact manufacturers via dealerships to get the clearest answers you can as to whether each brand's language is intended to merely be neutral, or to expressly recommend against or prohibit a bed-mounted hitch. From there you can work to try and clarify the subsequent consequences which might apply to the drivetrain warranty and such.

Vehicle owner manuals often specify a limit for the trailer's frontal area. Flat ground or no, the aerodynamic resistance of the trailer when towing with a 157 HP engine will also be a factor for you to consider. The intended travel radius and traffic conditions will also impact how suitable this might be.

Beyond that, you could run searches on Google and read any forum posts that you can find from people with similar experiences.

I hope you find a combination that meets your expectations. Please consider posting your impressions on this forum once you find out whether your choice met your expectations.