Michael Lee's Trailer :: Campster
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Campster

Registry
Trailer Name Campster
Year 1971
Make Trails West
Model Campster
Length 13'
Packages solar powered dc circuit, metal popup, external shower
History Bought it locally about 5 years ago and added some needed TLC. I have had it to Eastern Washington and the San Juans after major renovation...particularly the popup top.
Interior
Standard interior with a propane stove, sink, and a drop-down cutting board that extends the small kitchen counter into the aisleway. It has 4 large drawers (2 per side), the original icebox, and the closet. Interior was rewired for both DC and AC power. Forward section below front window has two quick release fittings for bikes. Bench cushions and curtains were fabricated and installed by my wife.

Exterior
White with gold striping. Propane tank and spare tire mounted to the tongue. A couple of tubes are installed on the underside of the body for storing an awning and support poles.

Customization
A metal slide-up top was fabricated and and installed over a metal flashing type open box structure that was installed by the previous owner as a replacement to the original fabric sides. The popup top is secured in the open position by using inward facing flanges on its outside walls. Those flanges butt up against outward facing flanges on the fixed inside open metal box. Insulated panels along the right and left sides hold the top up when camping. Spring loaded latches secure the top while it is nested over the inside open box for travel. A shower is also installed on the outside for summer showers.

Renovations
I fabricated fenders and added a removable solar panel. I relocated the deep cycle battery from its location on the trailer's tongue to a location below the closet to protect it and keep it warmer for winter camping.

Other Information
The Forester and Campster combination results in a length and height that falls just inside the standard Washington State Ferries requirements. A few inches in length or height would place me in the much higher price ferry fees. Nice coincidence.

Tow Vehicle
2005 Forester
Views: 5821