philostechedon's Trailer :: Escape Capsule
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Registry
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Escape Capsule

Registry
Trailer Name Escape Capsule
Year 2010
Make Escape
Model 17A
Length 17'
Packages mainly the extra insulation options, double-pane windows
Standard setup, more or less
History I'm the third owner so far. A couple in Wenatchee, WA solid it to me in October 2015. I've used it in kind of a low-tech boondocking mode, mainly because I'm not interested in the fuss of managing / cleaning the plumbing, and I'm intrigued by off-grid practicality. I've also made a number of non-permanent modifications to enable my 'four-season part-timer' life in southwestern Montana.
Interior
I removed the annoying perma-mounted dinette table and replaced it with a more versatile small IKEA dropleaf patio table. Other than that, I haven't done much in the way of modifications.

The bed platform has two square doors cut into it, but I keep those off for better air circulation, particularly in the winter when condensation is such an issue in cold spots.

Exterior
Nothing fancy, and appears to be standard all the way around. It has two utility doors, on either side of the front, which enter into the underbed storage area. It has the exterior shower package, which I will likely never use.

Customization
I insulated the floors with free-floating 1" polystyrene (Foamular 150 or Scoreboard) hard foam slabs, and then those are covered over with rugs or those foam jigsaw mats. While the floor treatment loses me a little headroom, it ups the insulation value by R7. From about October through April, I use panels of Reflectix between the valence cords and windows, and hung in front of the door to reduce heat loss.

It came with 2 BCI27-size Interstate deep-cycle batteries, which were pretty old, and even new not as good as the BCI24-size AGM deep-cycle ones I already had for my solar setup. I swapped those into the existing battery boxes, one on the rear right corner, and one on the front left of the dual-propane bottle mount. I live on one 20-lb'er in the summer, and then carry an extra 30-lb'er that I just set on the ground in the winter.

My complete power setup is 2x 150w Renogy solar panels (one used in the summer, both in the winter), 3x 85Ah VMaxTanks AGM deep-cycle batteries, and a Tracer 40A MPPT charge controller.

Tow Vehicle
I tow with a 1999 Toyota Sienna van, and plan to upgrade sometime in the next year to a mid-2000s Toyota 4Runner with a V6.
Views: 1898