Europe vs US tow rating differences - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: '07 Scamp 16' SD
Wisconsin
Europe vs US tow rating differences

Thought folks might be interested in this article on the difference between US and European tow ratings. It's a good read.

This Is Why You Need A Big Truck To Tow Big Things In America

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
glennco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Paul,

Thanks for the article.

We have towed with a Honda CRV for 7 years with about 7% tongue weight, presently a Scamp 16 at 2600 lbs including 200 lbs of tongue weight. We have enjoyed the reliability of the Honda CRV and its excellent towing miles per gallon. To me this article justifies towing with the CRV.

Using Utah's speed limit as the justification for the low tow rating in North America is using the extreme as reasoning.

Utah has just about the highest towing speed in the USA, where many states have a 55 mph limit and few have a limit over 65 mph. We don't drive over 65 mph, typically 62 mph on Interstates. We drive to not exceed the 65 mph rating of our tires.

I do recognize that there are people who tow at high speed, well beyond the ratings of their tires, legal speed limits and reasonable speeds for conditions but do not feel I should be limited by their folly. No more then I should have to drive a big truck to protect me from drunk or drugged drivers, virtually infinitely more common than swaying trailers.

To me this article confirms that small tow vehicles can handle trailers our size, typically under 3,000 lbs when properly loaded and driven at reasonable speeds.

Improperly loaded, ill prepared tow vehicles, out of control drivers using tow vehicles of any size can and do have problems. Definitely a larger tow vehicle can reduce the chances of failure but does not guarantee success. To me the first and most important component of the trailer/tow vehicle is the driver.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face An effort to cut the fighting off at the pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Using Utah's speed limit as the justification for the low tow rating in North America is using the extreme as reasoning.

Utah has just about the highest towing speed in the USA...

I do recognize that there are people who tow at high speed, well beyond the ratings of their tires, legal speed limits and reasonable speeds for conditions but (I) do not feel I should be limited by their folly.
We here in The United States of America are in a habit of reducing all arguments to their extremes; it is either black or it's white. Plus we are individual centric by Constitution. This is neither good nor bad; it just IS.

Our society must compensate for the dilemma posed by these truths. Thus laws and lawsuits have become our answer. Again this is neither good nor bad; it just IS.

I believe the conclusions the author came to say it all:
Quote:
1. The closer the trailer weight gets to the vehicle weight the slower you will need to drive.

2. DO NOT exceed 65 mph with a tongue weight in the 4-7% range, this is a guaranteed way to sway and 65 is the max, go slower in regards to #1.

3. None of this takes into account crosswinds, cooling systems, horsepower, or braking effectiveness.
People come here asking for black/white rulings on their distinct situations without doing their own research and learning. (Hint: Asking the simplest of questions HERE won't get you the simple answer one searches for.) With this limit on the question posed, the majority accept that laws are the answer.

Those that do their own research, as Norm put it, do not feel they should be limited by others' folly. Here, both answers are correct. Stay calm and carry on.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I found the article very informative. Thanks for sharing.

I found one of the comments thought provoking even if not verified. Trucks and vehicles in market segments where towing capacity is a market advantage tend to be rated at or close to the physical ability of the vehicle to withstand the weight. Cars are rated closer to the assumptions of full highway speed and hitch weight plugged into the physics of towing.

I agree with Fredrick we have different human and social forces at work than other countries. Different market forces as well.

The simple question can vehicle x tow trailer y can really only be answered simply by those that have towed that or a similar trailer with that vehicle. They can then report how it worked or what they did to make it work well (or not). The rest of us can offer things to consider, general guidance on towing, equipment and our own philosophy of towing safety. If we can communicate our thoughts respectfully it can be a valuable resource built on shared knowledge and experience.

I especially agree that we Americans are more inclined than many to an individualistic approach. Reminds me of a story from the old west.

British gentleman approaches a large ranch and seeing a cow hand sitting in a chair fixing a bridle inquires "is your master in?". To which the cow hand replies "My master? Son of gun who can call himself that ain't been born!".

Given that general inclination to individualism it is somewhat remarkable the number of civic and social organizations we tend to participate in. Including social groups such as this forum. Which has people from many walks of life and life experiences that get together in a community. Yep Americans (and Canadians too) sure are weird, but most of the time in a good way.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote