17 Casita or 17 Escape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi there, new to getting a travel trailer and have narrowed down the search to the 17 Plan B Escape or the 17 Casita Liberty or Spirit. Any owners of any of these trailers? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

Sean Macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
They are both nice ... If you are buying new, the Escapes are a lot closer than Rice Texas is to you!
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
They are both nice ... If you are buying new, the Escapes are a lot closer than Rice Texas is to you!

True. My only reservation about the Escape is the layout of the dinette. It seems like it might be cramped with the bathroom wall etc...
The Casita on the other hand with the side dinette and the bathroom at the front looks a little more roomy. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Quote:
True. My only reservation about the Escape is the layout of the dinette. It seems like it might be cramped with the bathroom wall etc...
The Casita on the other hand with the side dinette and the bathroom at the front looks a little more roomy. Anyone have any ideas?
The location of the dinette with the windows that surround it are a plus IMHO. I think you'll find the extra windows to give it a more open feeling.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
I had this same reservation with the Escape. The 19 I bought is the same. In hind sight it is much better. I don't know about the 17, but in my 19 the table slides to the side making access easy. The other great thing about having more separation with the bed and dinette, is that I am an early riser and I can sit at the table and read or go on the computer, while I drink my coffee and not bother my wife.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
The location of the dinette with the windows that surround it are a plus IMHO. I think you'll find the extra windows to give it a more open feeling.
And, there is that too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #7

Quote:
And, there is that too.

Didn't realize that. The windows would make a huge difference for feeling less cramped for sure.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #8

Quote:
And, there is that too.

Does the Escape have a fan in the bathroom? I think i read that the Casita does. Sounds like a nice option.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Hi there, new to getting a travel trailer and have narrowed down the search to the 17 Plan B Escape or the 17 Casita Liberty or Spirit. Any owners of any of these trailers? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

Hi - I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for several months.

In process of looking for my first fiberglass trailer! I have been doing quite a bit of research, and am extensively using this forum as well as the Casita Forum.

I have not been inside of an Escape, but I love the 17B floor plan! Really like the idea of the small dinette in the front of the trailer.

But ... there is a significant difference in price between the Escape and Casita 17. So you have to decide if the extra $$ for the Escape is worth it! I do believe the both trailers are quality products.

For about the same $$ as new 17 Ft Casita, you may want to consider a Egg Camper. This has a similar floor plan to the Casita Spirit Deluxe, but is wider and taller. So you feel less cramped. It is also a high quality product.

If I had the resources, I would probably consider the Escape 19 with the small dinette in front. ... assuming the 2 Ft difference will show up in the size of the rear bed.

One other consideration: I believe that the Casita is more aerodynamic --- Please correct me if I am mistaken. Because the Escape is more bulky, you'll be spending more $$ on gas. Again, if the gas milage is same for towing Escape vs Casita, please let me know.

I am also wondering if gas mileage is same for the Egg Camper -- another trailer that is on my "short list."

I'd like to compliment all of the members of this forum. The information and ideas posted on this forum are just excellent!

Jane P.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Does the Escape have a fan in the bathroom? I think i read that the Casita does. Sounds like a nice option.
The escape does not have a fan in the bathroom, it would be a nice option though.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
If I had the resources, I would probably consider the Escape 19 with the small dinette in front. ... assuming the 2 Ft difference will show up in the size of the rear bed.
The dinette is of considerable size in the 19 at 44x80. It would sleep two adults if needed. The bed is 60x80, one of our main reasons for leaping.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #12

Quote:
The escape does not have a fan in the bathroom, it would be a nice option though.

Do you think they would do one as an option? I see on their website the 5.0 comes with one.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
The dinette is of considerable size in the 19 at 44x80. It would sleep two adults if needed. The bed is 60x80, one of our main reasons for leaping.

Also I thought I read somewhere that the casita or Escape can be ordered pre wired for solar power. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Also I thought I read somewhere that the casita or Escape can be ordered pre wired for solar power. Anyone know anything about this?
I know the Escape can be ordered prewired, or even with solar mounted, though I would imagine Casita could accommodate it as well.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Just thought I might add a couple o' pennies worth. I maybe biased but I still think the Escape build quality is superior to most if not all new fiberglass units. Reace and Tammy will bend over backwards to add custom mods. They will also give good reason why one can't be done!!!
Casita won't even try!!!
I like the side bath vs. the front...and in our case the "U" shaped dinette/lounge and the front to back bed arrangement.
All this may change as we are going to try 3 adults for 1 week in the woods...should be interesting as my eldest daughter and I are like Perrier & olive oyl !!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
view_from_here.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #16

another plus for the escape is a two year warranty.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi, Sean! IMHO having more windows seems to 'expand' the space inside our Eggs. We have a Scamp and won't be changing in the near future, but one thing we would not give up is that large front window! In the Casita (and Scamp) floor plans with the bath across the front, you lose the light and view from that big window. Just our experience.

In any event, good luck in choosing the 'just right for you' trailer and going CAMPING! L 'n D
Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
It is hard to compare when we are most familiar with Escape. I think the basic features of both trailers are very standard, only lay out and service differs.

My husband is impressed by Escape because it is an excellent company to deal with, you can visit (which we recommend), ask all the questions you want, and get good helpful answers. It is a small, family business with high standards. There is a reason they offer a two year warranty, when you purchase a trailer from Tammy and Reace you are buying something they feel responsible for and they want you, as owners, to have a positive experience. We bought our Escape for the height, width, and quality. Though we bought from an owner, we had a lot of help from Reace and Tammy.

I've "toured" a few Casitas and they simply felt less 'open' to me compared to our Escape, maybe it's the lack of front window, maybe the carpeting on the walls makes it feel more enclosed than the smoother Escape walls, a matter of personal preference. Escapes are actually 17'8", body length 13'8", they look and feel bigger because they are. Although aesthetically, and as a former Burro owner, I like the roundedness of Casitas, etc. I really appreciate the rounded/square design of Escape, it contributes to the spaciousness inside, as well as adds more space in the beds. I do not think the aerodynamic difference is enough to affect gas mileage much, if at all. Trailer weight is likely more of a factor.

Escape makes 100 trailers a year, they are not into mass production, the custom care and attention to detail that goes into each trailer is something that shows immediately, but has even more value as a trailer 'ages'. Our 'used' 2005 feels like new, although the travel log that came in the previous owners notebook shows some long trips in the those years.

To reiterate what has been mentioned, custom features are a hallmark of Escape, Reace told us several stories of modifications owners wanted. Not only did he do them, but he thought they were great ideas! I think he likes the creativity and challenge of making a trailer a little different and unique for someone.

In response to Jane, EggCamper was also on our short list, for the spaciousness and double walled construction (like Burro) but not only did we not want to drive to Mich, we decided no back window was something that we couldn't fathom. We talked with several EggCamper owners who love their trailers, so it is obviously a matter of personal preference. As already mentioned, the front window is a plus in comparing the Escape to Casita.

Whatever you buy, you will enjoy it and have happy experiences in it!

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Sean-

Call Escape, make an appointment, drive to Chilliwack and take a lengthy tour of a 17. Tammy and Reace are very accomodating, and I'm sure you can get many of your questions answered in person. Nothing beats being in one. That's what sold my wife and me on Escape, although we did move up to the 19' on faith, never having been in one when we ordered. We absolutely love it. The build quality was impeccible, and the design is very functional and well-laid out. Full queen bed, don't have to tear it down to have a dinette, plenty of room for my head (I'm 6'). I can't say enough good about the product and the people who build it.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Sean-

Call Escape, make an appointment, drive to Chilliwack and take a lengthy tour of a 17. Tammy and Reace are very accomodating, and I'm sure you can get many of your questions answered in person. Nothing beats being in one. That's what sold my wife and me on Escape, although we did move up to the 19' on faith, never having been in one when we ordered. We absolutely love it. The build quality was impeccible, and the design is very functional and well-laid out. Full queen bed, don't have to tear it down to have a dinette, plenty of room for my head (I'm 6'). I can't say enough good about the product and the people who build it.

Bruce

My wife and I am now thinking on the 13'. Anyone hear or know anything about the team trillium "Outback" trailer? Just came across that one....dam this is confusing...

Tags
casita, escape